Hacking HELP - Want to update my softmodded wii

Falsepositive

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
I've been out of the wii scene for a while now and would like to play newer games and probably just best to update the wii. So, I soft modded the wii with bannerbomb back in the day and I think my version was 3.4u.

However, I want to update the wii to the latest version (4.3U?).
Do I have to hook up the wii and update via nintendo to 4.3 and have to start over using the 4.3 game disc hack even though I already have homebrew on it?

Thanks for any help

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No do not update to 4.3. just use modmii and tell it your wii is a virgin and tell it you want to be on 4.2 instead of 4.3. 4.2 has every bit of the functionality of 4.3 but bannerbomb still work So I'd advise just going to 4.2 either way use modmii to walk you through the whole proccess.

Whatever you do not I repeat Do NOT try to use the official Nintendo update!

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea as these guys both pointed out modmii is your best bet. It will safely update your wii to 4.2 and your softmod to all the latest revisions.

Falsepositive

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow hey thanks all for the quick replies and help. Does Modmii help with adding a usb loader and all the current ios's or does it just upgrade to 4.2 and finding the wads is up to me?

Also, a buddy did the 4.3 mauifrog hack and he said he is able to burn the games from the wii directly to the hard drive. Can modmii help with that?

I was just planning to do a fresh update to straight 4.3u and doing a clean soft mod hack with one of those "hack any wii instructions" thread since I do have a lego game.

Fishaman P said:
BTW, you can't say "back in the day" unless you used the Twilight Hack before the Betas, like me.

Haha actually if by twilight hack you mean the legend of zelda hack, I did do that. I did one wii with the zelda and the other with bannerbomb. I was going to update both and I figured I just say Bannerbomb since that sounds so much cooler than "I did the hack with the zelda thingy" lol

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
Modmii does it all, everything you've asked about it can do
and you shouldn't go past 4.2, on 4.2 you don't need to own any disc games to mod your wii which could be helpful in the future.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Falsepositive said:
1. Wow hey thanks all for the quick replies and help. Does Modmii help with adding a usb loader and all the current ios's or does it just upgrade to 4.2 and finding the wads is up to me?

2. Also, a buddy did the 4.3 mauifrog hack and he said he is able to burn the games from the wii directly to the hard drive. Can modmii help with that?

3. I was just planning to do a fresh update to straight 4.3u and doing a clean soft mod hack with one of those "hack any wii instructions" thread since I do have a lego game.
1. modmii has MANY features. It can download and prepare both the most recent IOS'es and cIOS'es, get you a loader and much, much more. I haven't checked out everything it has to offer, but the good thing about it is that it doesn't just "does stuff". It gives you the options and the reasons for those options.
smile.gif

2. not directly. modmii is a PC program. It will get you the programs you need and tells you what to do, but the part that's on the wii lies with other programs. For ripping a DVD to the hard drive, any updated USB loader can do that for you (wiiflow and CFG come to mind). And yes, you can then play those games from the hard drive (that's the whole point of ripping them
smile.gif
).

3. erm...don't get me wrong, but " "one of those hack any wii instructions" threads " sounds a bit like "one of those guys in that dark corridor over there". If it's an up to date guide, it's probably fine (always check when it was last updated...anything older than 2 months and you should be precautious). Still...the mentions for modmii aren't just warnings in case you don't have a game: the update thing from modmii does everything the official update does, except remove your homebrew. So...what's the point of upgrading again?
wink.gif

(also worth noting that updates 4.2 and 4.3 pretty much existed exclusively of anti-piracy measures*).

*note: that may sound more scary than it is: those updates just get rid of homebrew and exploits. once you remod it, it's the exact same as before.

Falsepositive

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I updated to 4.2 via ModMii but when I tried some of the backup games that I have on disc and tried to load it with my old Backup Loader Channel it doesn't work. It threw out the error 002. Is there a newer backup loader that I can use for the put on the channel in the system menu?

thanks all

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neogamma....Look for a .wad of it, and install it using wad manager 1.7 or Multi-Mod Manager.
Backup Loader Channel is old and obsolete......thats why your getting the 002 error....

Falsepositive

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
Neogamma....Look for a .wad of it, and install it using wad manager 1.7 or Multi-Mod Manager.
Backup Loader Channel is old and obsolete......thats why your getting the 002 error....

Hey thanks ... I think I found it. Is neogamma r3 the latest one?

ummm got a couple of other problems after installing ModMii

1. When I turned off the Wii, instead of a red light on the power button, there's a yellow light. Should I be concerned?

2. Also, I notice that while I am playing a game and press reset on the console, it goes straight back to the game instead of the system menu. I'm sure it's probably a setting somewhere that I missed but how do I make it where I can press reset and go to the system menu?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope the latest version of NEOGamma is R9 Beta 47. Find it in the stickies of this board. It works great for all disc loading needs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay