Homebrew Help needed - Cant open FBI with arm9loaderhax

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello guys, I need some help implementing arm9loaderhax to my old 3ds, its also my first try of a hack on a 3ds.

I followed the guide by Plailect step by step but I cant open FBI after injecting it. It just ends up in a black screen I can only get out by pressing the power button for a few seconds. Any ideas what went wrong or what I should try to solve the problem?

Only thing I didnt do was this at section IV (which I skipped entirely, as I hadnt got anything to restore) of Part 3 of the guide: "If you are on Old 3DS and do not have any usable NAND backups, you can just Update your CFW SysNAND to the latest version with the System Settings. Yes this is safe."
Should I have done this befor dumping hs.app? I wasnt to sure, what this means, thats why I skipped it. This means I should update the Firmware to the most recent Nintendo Firmware in system settings, right?

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't change firmware between dumping hs.app and injecting fbi_with_banner. Try dumping hs.app and injecting again.

I already did that, and it didnt seem to have any effect. Also when Im on the icon of H&S on the lower screen, there is no sign whatsover on the upper screen to indicate which program this is. There should be an FBI animation, at least thats what I saw in one YT-Video. Is the hs.app in my files9 folder still the same since first dumping it (or now second time) or has it been altered at some point.

And to understand you correctly, a firmware update wouldnt help me at all at the moment, right?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I already did that, and it didnt seem to have any effect. Also when Im on the icon of H&S on the lower screen, there is no sign whatsover on the upper screen to indicate which program this is. There should be an FBI animation, at least thats what I saw in one YT-Video. Is the hs.app in my files9 folder still the same since first dumping it (or now second time) or has it been altered at some point.

And to understand you correctly, a firmware update wouldnt help me at all at the moment, right?
It sounds like you are trying to open it in stock sysNAND without sig patches enabled which is weird.

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It sounds like you are trying to open it in stock sysNAND without sig patches enabled which is weird.

Could you explain a little, what you exactly mean with this?

Just to let you know, maybe it helps, the 3ds was at FW 7.2 when I started to do the hack.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Could you explain a little, what you exactly mean with this?

Just to let you know, maybe it helps, the 3ds was at FW 7.2 when I started to do the hack.
What you described is what happens to people without a9lh, with unhacked sysNANDs, when they inject FBI to their sysNAND (because they want to play a GBA games which requires installing to both sysNAND and emuNAND), and then try to access it without employing Pasta CFW which would patch sig checks. Essentially after you inject FBI to H&S it no longer has valid signatures and won't show up properly or run unless you have sig patches enabled.

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Quantumcat: At which point of the guide would these patches have been implemented, so I may trace down a mistake I might've made. Or is it any other way to check if this is done correctly?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Quantumcat: At which point of the guide would these patches have been implemented, so I may trace down a mistake I might've made. Or is it any other way to check if this is done correctly?
If you're running Luma through a9lh there would be no option to not have sig patches :-/ (only Corbenik and Cakes does). I assume all your payloads work on boot etc?

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Both option work fine, the settings for luma are set as supposed to be and hourglass opens fine, couldnt have done the dumping of hs.app and injecting of fbi without it anyway.

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I may have found the solution.

At the moment I am still at the downgraded 2.1.0-4E version, because I skipped Section IV of the 3rd part of the tutorial, because I thought its only for users with a 3ds that already had a EmuNand or RedNand backup, but it seems to be that the system has to be upgraded at least to 9.2. or the current firmware, if I understand this correctly. So I might do this first, dont you think?

@Quantumcat: If the above is correct, this leads to the following you wrote before:
Don't change firmware between dumping hs.app and injecting fbi_with_banner. Try dumping hs.app and injecting again.

Can I inject the original HS back to get it work again, so after updating to a newer firmware I can dump HS again and create a working FBI?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I may have found the solution.

At the moment I am still at the downgraded 2.1.0-4E version, because I skipped Section IV of the 3rd part of the tutorial, because I thought its only for users with a 3ds that already had a EmuNand or RedNand backup, but it seems to be that the system has to be upgraded at least to 9.2. or the current firmware, if I understand this correctly. So I might do this first, dont you think?

@Quantumcat: If the above is correct, this leads to the following you wrote before:

Can I inject the original HS back to get it work again, so after updating to a newer firmware I can dump HS again and create a working FBI?
Lol yes you need to do this after updating. Even if you got it to work it would be erased after the update and you'd have to do it again anyway.
That explains so much, Luma is only really barely working on 2.1 so no wonder FBI acted like sigs weren't patched :-)

Aliminator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Stupid me ^^

So do I have to anything before updating regarding that I already tried to inject fbi?

EDIT: I injected the original HS.app back in, and will start the system update, when my 3ds has recharged :rolleyes:

Last edited by Aliminator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated