Hacking Help me find the right setup for my 5 year old to use (Emulation and Loaders)

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yep, the Wii U is said to provide less power, so people resort to Y cables. Most don't recommend USB flash drives, but I had luck with Samsung and Sandisk ones. My personal preference however is to keep all Wii/GC games on large SD cards in the front.
You will also need another separate USB drive in case you want to install more Wii U games then your internal storage allows. You cannot use the same USB drive for Wii and Wii U games as the Wii U needs to reformat it to a proprietary format before allowing it to be used for Wii U games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@kornychaos I suppose widening up a discussion is an offence, thanks for the insight officer. I'm sure the OP enjoyed your contribution the most.

Last edited by wiindsurf,

Nickb1907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, the Wii U is said to provide less power, so people resort to Y cables. Most don't recommend USB flash drives, but I had luck with Samsung and Sandisk ones. My personal preference however is to keep all Wii/GC games on large SD cards in the front.
You will also need another separate USB drive in case you want to install more Wii U games then your internal storage allows. You cannot use the same USB drive for Wii and Wii U games as the Wii U needs to reformat it to a proprietary format before allowing it to be used for Wii U games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@kornychaos I suppose widening up a discussion is an offence, thanks for the insight officer. I'm sure the OP enjoyed your contribution the most.

Thanks. I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into this considering I had a HD and leftover microsds. I guess I will order a splitter.

Do you have a link to the WiiU game install on the HD? I found some stuff but it was just showing how to install it through HBC. It didn't go over HD setup. I wonder if I can partition the drive for wii/wiiu games.

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You can't partition AFAIK, and would be really surprised if you could somehow. My understanding is the Wii U just wipes the whole lot and creates a partitionless volume (I'm a Linux Engineer and examined the drive in my PC, but did not spend too much time on this so I could be wrong).

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
To clarify, partionless means there's no data structure on disk defining partitions. Usually drives are formatted with a single parttion, in which case the data structure is there for one to add more or resize etc as needed.

Nickb1907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your help. I ended up taking the advice to forget wiiflow and just do wii u vc injects. I am getting all the official wii u games loaded now. It covers 90% of the games I wanted on the wiiu main menu.

Reactions: wiindsurf

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this would be any easier, but afaik retail games don't need sig patches. anything that's eshop only (dlc, updates I think too, since they also require a ticket) won't work though. I think usb helper mentions what requires cfw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves