Help. Brand new 3DS wanna play some games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xodass, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    hey guys

So i have a 3ds I bought the other day and it us the old model running firmware 10.6 and i really want to play pokemon oras

Could ypu guys please help me find a way to do this and explain if it can be done via downloading roms. Thanks a mil

2. ShikaSan

ShikaSan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2016
    Somewhere
    Well, you're in luck, because you are on firmware that's downgradable so that you can play backup copies of games.

Read this thread here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/

And this guide to help you downgrade your firmware: http://gbatemp.net/threads/noob-friendly-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds-from-fw-10-7.418125/

Also don't forget to ask questions if you don't get some stuff, always do backups, and follow the steps EXACTLY as they were written to avoid bricking your 3DS (which happens rarely).

3. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
  4. ishygdaft

ishygdaft A mystery wrapped in an enigma

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
  5. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    Thanks soo much guys :)

6. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Best of luck. The first downgrade to 9.2 is a little risky but everything after that is a bit safer. If you have the time you can install the super hax but you don't have to.

7. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    Guys so i want to ask a question. Do i have to downgrade my firm ware - then install the cfw then download the rom, will i be able to play it?

8. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Downgrade, then backup your sysnand, then make an emunand, then get cfw (like Luma3ds). You really should check out the guide I linked. Step by step instructions.

9. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    Yeah, what you do basically is downgrade to 9.2, install emunand and cfw. Ninja'd.
    What @ishygdaft said. And AFTER you've done what he said, you can update to 11.0. It's safe to do it then, but don't do it now.

10. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    @ishygdaft sorry mate I didn't see the link. I read it late and when i noticed it i had already posted

11. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Nah man it's perfectly fine. That guide is just the end all, best place to get all that downgrady goodness.

12. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    And once i do that i shold be able to download roms off the internet and copy snd play it on my sd card right?

13. ishygdaft

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    They come in a 3ds install-able format that's the same as what the eshop uses, plus you'll need a program (fbi, bbm, devmenu, etc) to install these games in .cia format. It's a little bit more involved then a flash cart but it's free and pretty easy to do. If you wanna you can also use programs (on the 3ds mind you) like CIAngel or freeshop to get your stuff.

14. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    @ishygdaft m8 once ive done the instal how do i find the cia files? Is there an archive or something i can check, I remember using emuparadise to get my ds roms way back

15. Nyap

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
  16. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    Thanks mate :)

17. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    wow so i need a physical copy to do this as well? rip

18. Froster

Froster Your Music Producer

Sep 6, 2015
    Italy
    that MIDI sequencer
    What do you mean?

19. Xodass
    OP

Xodass Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    well i tried to install homebrew launcher and my softawre is 10.6 unlucky af so i guess i cant homebre it unless i buy cubic ninja

20. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    an anti-anime bunker
    Do you have any other ways to get into the homebrew menu such as LOZ: OoT or Freakyforms Deluxe?