Hacking Hello there, quick question about upgrading to a 3DS

kabuto mushi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place or too confusing or something, but even after extensive poking around elsewhere I could only find half-answers to my question, and I want to make absolutely sure of what I'm doing.

You see, I plan to update soon from my old DSi to a brand new 3DS XL. The only problem is, I don't want to go through with it if I can't take all the DS/GBA/GBC/GB on my microSD with me! I understand that firmware updates are made available very quickly on the DSTWO website after Nintendo updates the version on the 3DS, but I haven't really bothered updating my card in a long time because I haven't had any need to update my DSi.

Anyway, long story short, I'd like to sell my DSi in order to help come up with the necessary scratch to purchase the 3DS. Will not owning an older model DS make it impossible to update my Supercard for playing on the 3DS? I can update to the newest version on my DSi now (before I trade it in), but will it be possible to use the 3DS to update the card in the future, even after Nintendo patches it? I just don't want this line:

"...if you have the latest version console and can not run EOS system, sorry, you have to find one..."

to ever apply to me.

Again, sorry if this is too confusing of a question, and thanks for any help guys. :)

-kabuto

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place or too confusing or something, but even after extensive poking around elsewhere I could only find half-answers to my question, and I want to make absolutely sure of what I'm doing.

You see, I plan to update soon from my old DSi to a brand new 3DS XL. The only problem is, I don't want to go through with it if I can't take all the DS/GBA/GBC/GB on my microSD with me! I understand that firmware updates are made available very quickly on the DSTWO website after Nintendo updates the version on the 3DS, but I haven't really bothered updating my card in a long time because I haven't had any need to update my DSi.

Anyway, long story short, I'd like to sell my DSi in order to help come up with the necessary scratch to purchase the 3DS. Will not owning an older model DS make it impossible to update my Supercard for playing on the 3DS? I can update to the newest version on my DSi now (before I trade it in), but will it be possible to use the 3DS to update the card in the future, even after Nintendo patches it? I just don't want this line:

"...if you have the latest version console and can not run EOS system, sorry, you have to find one..."

to ever apply to me.

Again, sorry if this is too confusing of a question, and thanks for any help guys. :)

-kabuto
The simple answer for you would be to update to the latest firmware now on your DSi (and drop the latest EOS on your MicroSD card), then it will work on your 3DS. In the future when Nintendo updates the 3ds, you'll have to wait until the supercard team releases their latest firmware that is compatible and then update the firmware (same as you did on the DSi) of the DSTWO. It will then be compatible when you update your 3DS' firmware.

Short answer: Update your DSTWO's firmware BEFORE your 3DS' firmware.

If you do ever accidently update the 3DS firmware first, as long as you were on a recent firmware (1.12 or higher I believe, not sure, just stay on the latest to be sure), there is an upgrade method like Rydian mentioned, but it has more chance for error and isn't recommended.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, today is national coconut cream pie day, you know what that means...