Quezacotl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello!

I have Hekate 5.5.5 on a modchip, so my Switch boots into that. That's okay no problem.
But now i decided to try using Aio-switch-updater, and installed all the latest, HOS firmware, Atmosphere and for curiosity, Hekate 5.6.3.
Now everything works perfectly and no problem, but one thing that i'm wondering. Apparently the Hekate that updater downloaded, is just placed on the root of the SD card, and nothing else is on the config files. How Hekate 5.5.5 finds how to boot that new Hekate? I can not find any trace of that.
And yes, it reverts back to what my modchip holds(5.5.5) if i remove the latest hekate from SD root.

Reactions: HollowGrams

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

I have Hekate 5.5.5 on a modchip, so my Switch boots into that. That's okay no problem.
But now i decided to try using Aio-switch-updater, and installed all the latest, HOS firmware, Atmosphere and for curiosity, Hekate 5.6.3.
Now everything works perfectly and no problem, but one thing that i'm wondering. Apparently the Hekate that updater downloaded, is just placed on the root of the SD card, and nothing else is on the config files. How Hekate 5.5.5 finds how to boot that new Hekate? I can not find any trace of that.
And yes, it reverts back to what my modchip holds(5.5.5) if i remove the latest hekate from SD root.

Rename hektae.bin to payload.bin. It should load the new hekate. In options you can change what you want hekate to auto boot - OFW, CFW SYS, CFW Emunand. Most modchips are designed to look for payload.bin.

Quezacotl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Oh sorry, I forgot to describe what it does now. It boots straight to Hekate 5.6.3. What i was asking was that, how it does that when there is only hekate_ctcaer_5.6.3.bin on root of SD and nothing indicating that on configs? And nothing on payloads-folder or any hekate.bin, payload.bin etc. anywhere.

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sorry, I forgot to describe what it does now. It boots straight to Hekate 5.6.3. What i was asking was that, how it does that?

Same answer I suppose. Payload.bin /.bin file. No bin file or sd card then it loads the hekate flashed to your modchip memory.

Example:

RCM loader
Trinket
RCMx86

all look for payload.bin

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got your answer bud. Twice.

Heres a 3rd.

Your Modchip has older hekate - This will load with no sd card or bin missing / wrong folder. You stated this is what its doing so all good here.

New hekate loads if files in right place on sd and wont boot hekate on modchip, instead it loads hekate from sd card. Looks like this is also working.

If confused upload a pic of your SD files for a more detailed breakdown.

Quezacotl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Okay, finally i found out. I missed the /bootloader/update.bin. I did a diff on update.bin and hekate_ctcaer_5.6.3.bin and they are the same file.
Thank you :shy:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night