Hacking HEADSUP: Acekard2i sold as R4i

rave420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

today i confirmed my suspicion, that this website here sells relabeled acekards.

I purchased their product advertised as "R4i ULTRA", 31$.
When it came i could get no R4 firmware to work on it at all, until i put AKAIO on the card. Then it worked.
Today i got my genuine acekard 2i and was able to compare PCBs, chip codes and hardware id's

R4iULTRA: chipid 0fc2 HW 8181 SVN 995
Acekard 2i: chipid 0fc2 HW 8181 SVN 994

The PCB obviously came out of a different mill, but layout is 1:1 the same

the main reason i am posting this is so that people stay clear from the shop. my 8$ acekard is the same then their 31$ clone, with a competitors lable on it.
I knew the R4 would be a clone, but i didn't expect to see the acekard design in this thing.

So it's official, there are fake acekards circulating, sold as R4's.
However, the R4 acekard clones run fine with AKAIO, which is said to not run on clones, so this is getting stranger by the day.

Any comments appreciated.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a lot of websites that sell fake flashcarts.
it's not that surprising.
the price however, is ridiculous.
a DSTWO costs just as much as that.

rave420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i know, it is outrageous.

Maybe some poor fool (like me) in the future, will be able to make the right call.
IMHO we should completely stop supporting the r4 on this website here, as we are essentially perpetuating the selling of clones. There is no original r4 anymore. The reason i bought an R4 in the first place was because i saw how popular it was over here. Then i realized that no original R4's are being produced, and you can only buy clones.

Screw the r4, the AK, SC or EVO was all that's needed anymore.

but oh gosh, am i voicing my conservative opinion on flashcards again? I seriously need to stop doing that on this forum here
wink.gif

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO the r4 is a little more popular then it used to be because of wood, but im not going to get into a argument with anyone over what flashcart is better.

r4 being the 1:1 clone, r4i gold and the others that i dont remember too well... :|

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok let me get this right so that r4i is really a acekard and is US$8.95 well i want one also i like that shop everything i gotten from there haves been good and the costumer support i good

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Ultra is an OFFICIALLY-rebranded acekard, and AKAIO 1.8.1 OFFICIALLY works with it.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO

AKAIO 1.8.1 was made to run on it so that the R4i Ultra team could have a working firmware while they get their crap together or something like that. Later versions of AKAIO are not planned to work on it.

rave420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes, the R4i ULTRA they send me is actually an Acekard 2i

strange, i started getting suspicious after i could get no R4 firmware to work on it.
AKAIO works with this, this must mean it's an acekard.

//thank you for this nugget of wisdom, that's something i didn't already know. So it has been known that it's a re-brand. I didn't know this.
Either way, i am glad i own an original Acekard.

rave420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the only thing i am pissed about is the price.
Why would the "R4ULTRA" team make a card that is identical to the Acekard, and then charge a lot more for it? This just smells fishy in every respect.
I do not expect any official firmware to be ever released for the R4i ULTRA to work on this card.

// yes the card works fine if you treat it like an Acekard 2i. I tried downloading the firmwares from the adress on the pack though, and none of these worked.

What i am saying is, before you buy this R4i ULTRA for 31$, go buy an acekard2i for 10$. They are the same thing. The only thing i am really upset about is the 20$ difference, and the fact that i bought hardware that i can't get to run with their "official" firmwares.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If you make a second card under a different "brand" you're likely to have repeat customers since you can sell two carts to one person that way.

Cyclo - Edge
iPlayer - DSTwo
Acekard - R4i Ultra

While the closeness varies, those are all produced by the same people (though the first two won't admit it in public IIRC).

rave420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT ON MY BEHALF

I am sincerely sorry i accused the wrong store of selling fake cards. I got mixed up with URL's in my clipboard and pasted the wrong one. Please take no offense. it is corrected now!
DSCARTSHOP is selling the same product, but at 9.00$ which sounds better.

Again, i am sorry for mixing up the two stores. everything stands corrected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY