HD graphics packs for Mesen Emulator makes NES visuals look more like SNES era games

zeldurremaster1.png

Those experienced with emulating older games are likely aware of community-made texture packs. Emulators can use these to improve the textures of older games, giving them an unofficial remaster of sorts. Older 8-bit and 16-bit sprite games lack that ability to load in improved textures like that, though we have seen modernization attempts in the form of widescreen and 3D enhancements for retro emulators. Mesen NES Emulator, however, has the ability to load "HD packs", which take the original NES ROM, and use custom-made graphics packs that make them look more like SNES games, such as Mega Man 2 using the art from Mega Man 7, or Castlevania 1 using sprites from Super Castlevania IV. ROMhacking.net features many of these, uploaded to their site, featuring some standout releases such as:

Zelda 1: Remastered
Contra: Remastered
TwinBee Remastered
Castlevania HD Trilogy

There's also a group effort to creature an HD pack for Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, which is currently a work in progress. You can check some of them out for yourself at the source below. Would you use any of these, or do you prefer to play the games in their original format?

:arrow: Source

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
man, just look at the date the zelda 1 HD was news:

Zelda: Remastered (Mesen HD Pack)​

Started by Aclectico, October 10, 2020, 10:07:09 AM

Reactions: Scriber

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Want to know more? Look here

His English accent was a mixed-bag (sometimes sounded really good, other times not so much), but after verifying he's from Portugal it explains (I had recognized it beforehand). To be fair, he's trying so good on him.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
His English accent was a mixed-bag (sometimes sounded really good, other times not so much), but after verifying he's from Portugal it explains (I had recognized it beforehand). To be fair, he's trying so good on him.
Mark Hammil once recommended Schwarzenegger to drop his Austrian accent. Later he admitted it to be the worst advice in the history of advices.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My opinion: a lot of these packs do pretty much look like your average Flash game like some have said above me, but the others with a lot of effort put into them do look very nice. It does still beg the question of if it's more worthwhile to stick with the originals though, since that 'retro charm' of the original graphics could be lost.

(I do wanna see that Zelda 2 pack on the PC port/remaster/whatever though, ngl)

looks like it started in 2020, so maybe they just hit a major milestone (1.0 maybe?)
Version 1.3 of the pack was released at the end of 2020. lmao
I guess this article could be considered 'old news' in a sense, but a lot of people still haven't really heard about this, so...

Reactions: tabzer and osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*