Tutorial  Updated

Haxchi Mod - Custom redNAND Launch Title

Just to keep myself safe from blame...
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

I decided to just make a new thread dedicated to everything I've modified and created to have a "custom title" on sysNAND that launches redNAND
It makes use of Haxchi, a DS VC exploit originally released by @smealum and then modified by @FIX94 to launch HBL and work for other games.

UPDATE: The latest commit for FIX94's haxchi includes a version with cfwbooter built in, omitting the need for cfwboot.elf. Files and instructions have been updated to reflect this.

Latest install.py version: 2.1.1
New in this version:
  • Fixed bug in uploading config.txt (for some reason I made it upload to config.ini -_-)
Features:
  • Allows input of any low ID, meaning it will automatically work with future exploit games (and can possibly be used to inject DS games, untested)
  • Makes sure the game and location provided actually exist before attempting to install
  • Automatically downloads and modifies meta.xml with user-defined name
  • Installs files from SD instead of uploading over network, which greatly increases speed (especially for the larger .tga meta files)

As for the modified iosuhax, you will have to compile a new fw.img from the github below
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/iosuhax

NEW INSTALLER AND INSTALL PROCESS:
Finally got around to fixing up the installer.
It's now a universal installer, and should work automatically with future exploit games.

Download install.py from below, and place in the same folder as wupclient.py
https://mega.nz/#!xVVAHRgL!cMJdtZD6sLp0TIQ7q6BIjNzk5xB25jr8qamy423zUoE

From there you can either download a pre-made install pack from below and place it's files onto the SD card within a folder called haxchi (i.e. sd:/haxchi), or you can place any rom.zip and config.txt in /haxchi, and meta files within /haxchi/meta (excluding meta.xml, which will automatically be modified later).
https://mega.nz/#F!lRFgzSJY!ANFeNyPwRM_SjlH23ca4Zg
At this point I recommend grabbing the official haxchi from fix94, at least until I can rework my install packs or find a better way to do it while still being user friendly.

From there you can run wupserver on the Wii U (by loading fw.img with CFW Booter or haxchi).

You can then either double-click install.py, or type "python install.py" into command prompt/terminal

Enter the low ID of the game you wish to install to (can be found on this github page, it's the last 8 characters of the full 16 character title ID), and then enter the games install location (USB or NAND).
From there the script will install haxchi's rom.zip from sd:/haxchi, and the meta files from sd:/haxchi/meta. After that it will download meta.xml over the network to the PC, and then ask for what you wish the custom name to be (i.e. the name that shows up on home menu), then modify meta.xml to meta.xml.tmp, and then finally upload back to the Wii U.

Finally, the script will attempt to install config.txt, which is needed for the latest haxchi versions made by FIX94. If it succeeds (meaning the file existed on SD) it will also apply chmod 0x644 to the file to make it properly work with haxchi.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Pecrow

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to bother, I'm a bit lost.

I'm following this tut as it's more complete, but I'm using the other files to simply set up HBL on brain age from the main github.

Your tutorial says:

Rename the downloaded file to "rom.zip", and place it in the same folder as your wupclient.py

Ok, I have a folder in my desktop with the wupclient.py files, I put the rom.zip in there,

Then:
Enter either redNAND or sysNAND with WUPServer (requires already having fix94's sysNAND WUPServer fw.img)
Start wupclient.py
python -i wupclient.py

I downloaded the fw.img file from that Iso site, but what is the connection between me launching the fw.img in my wii, and running the python script on windows?

If I run it on windows all i get is this:

C:\Users\Alfredo\Desktop\WUPHAX>python -i wupclient.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "wupclient.py", line 753, in <module>
mount_sd()
File "wupclient.py", line 601, in mount_sd
handle = w.open("/dev/fsa", 0)
File "wupclient.py", line 131, in open
address = self.load_string(device)
File "wupclient.py", line 128, in load_string
return self.load_buffer(bytearray(s + "\0", "ascii"), align)
File "wupclient.py", line 123, in load_buffer
address = self.alloc(len(b), align)
File "wupclient.py", line 111, in alloc
return self.svc(0x27, [0xCAFF, size])
File "wupclient.py", line 77, in svc
ret, data = self.send(2, data)
File "wupclient.py", line 48, in send
self.s.send(request)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'send'
>>>

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using cfwbooter to launch fw.img from the SD?
http://wiiubru.com/appstore/zips/cfwbooter.zip

Also be sure to use the wupclient.py from here:
https://github.com/FIX94/iosuhax
Download the source code and use the wupclient.py from there (it's in the wupserver folder)

I did those, but this time I think it was because I was editing the wrong IP. Now it shows this:

0x1d6042
0x0
0x0
>>>

Which I think its okay?

==edit==

Guess not:

0x1d6042
0x0
0x0
>>> w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/content/0010/rom.zip")
up error : could not open /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/content/0010/rom.zip
>>>

==Edit2==

I think I know why, the game installed to USB instead of sysnand, moving it now and testing again.

Last edited by Pecrow,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did those, but this time I think it was because I was editing the wrong IP. Now it shows this:

0x1d6042
0x0
0x0
>>>

Which I think its okay?

==edit==

Guess not:

0x1d6042
0x0
0x0
>>> w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/content/0010/rom.zip")
up error : could not open /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/content/0010/rom.zip
>>>
Usually that means your game is installed to USB and not NAND. Try the USB command instead.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That worked wonders, thank you!, Now if you dont mind, I'll edit your rednand files to make a Home Brew Launcher theme for my brain age! :D I feel so happy!!

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I did the steps, I worked fine, but now I tried to replace the images (same as yours, just that I edited the image, and the xml file to say Homebrew Launcher (I download from the wii, edit, and upload) Also tried with your file, editing the name only (same issue), and after importing 4 of the files (with out the sound) I keep getting an error in the software data.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I did the steps, I worked fine, but now I tried to replace the images (same as yours, just that I edited the image, and the xml file to say Homebrew Launcher (I download from the wii, edit, and upload) Also tried with your file, editing the name only (same issue), and after importing 4 of the files (with out the sound) I keep getting an error in the software data.
Depending on what software you use there are different settings to render .tga files, and the Wii U requires very specific settings for the images to work.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on what software you use there are different settings to render .tga files, and the Wii U requires very specific settings for the images to work.
I'll Look into that :), (I'm currently just opening your files on photoshop, copying new images, and saving them a tga), 32/24bits/pixel?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll Look into that :), (I'm currently just opening your files on photoshop, copying new images, and saving them a tga), 32/24bits/pixel?
bootTvTex.tga and bootDrcTex.tga use 24bit, no RLE compression
iconTex.tga uses 32bit, no RLE compression.
I believe those are the correct settings.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working eventually, the issue was that I did not notice that there was a size difference between the DRC and TV files, I was using the same for both, lol. Thank you a lot for the help!

bluke

Trophies
XP
Country
Here example of using. Credits go to all guys made this. Not me.

Bought Brain Age and use yoshi from that site :)

Last edited by bluke,

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note, I have a USA Wii U, and for me Yoshi DS' code was 10198900, NOT 10198A00, FYI

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nice but what does this means for the end user?
Can i play pirated games online with pirated dlc?
Pirated Games have been playable since the Brazil Exploit. This helps with 1. Not having to use the browser, or require Internet Access to be able to launch the homebrew launcher, or loading sigpatched firmwares. (Sigpatched firmwares allows for DLC and Eshop titles)

Meaning that for now you can simply launch these VC titles and either it will boot into RedNand, or SigPatched Sysnand (My setup), soon we could get coldboothax to automatically launch one of these titles, making things alot easier :)

Reactions: NintendU_the_great
D

Deleted User

The only DS VC game I have is Partners in Time ;-;
Look up Brain Training (Brain Age if you are using a PAL console) and see if it comes up as "purchased." If it does, you can download it for free, legally.
Not sure what I did to get this title for free, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1