Hacking having trouble launching wii games from SD card on vWii

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[backstory]
So I've been using USB launcher GX for a while and it was working great, but I was getting some new games in and my flash drive was filling up.
I had an sd card for my GC games but that was almost full too. I was going to just get a hard drive or a bigger flash drive, but with smash4 around the corner I'd need two open usb ports for the controller adaptor, and one for the usb-Ethernet, and one for my wiiU installs.
After doing some reading I found out that you can load both wii and GC games from an sd card, and it's supposedly faster then USB.

So I went out and got a 64gb PNY class 10 SD card.

[The problem]
I loaded up all my games using the same folder structures as before,
but when I loaded up usb loader gx, I found that it would only read GC games from the SD card.

I then tried wiiFlow, as it's supposed to read from both, and it did, but when I try to load the games it just goes to a black screen
I then tired CFG loader mod, and It was also able to see the files, but it just refused to launch the wii games.
(gc games through nintendon't still load)
but it at least gave me an error message:

iso (249)
Iso reload: blocked
error: setting up fragments -2 3
ID mismatch [RSPE01] []
Error: SetWBFS: -3
I've googled the error, and tired (almost) all the suggestions
(obviously not the installing original wii cios stuff)
one person suggested turning 'block ISO load' to 'off'
Doing so give the same error, but without the 'Iso reload: blocked'
All the games are clean dumps that I've done myself and tested.
I even retested by coping the files from the sd card back to a flash drive,
and USB loader GX had no trouble launching them.
I even tried a suggestion of re-installing d2x cIOS
as shown here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/
but the problem still remains.
Any ideas?

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD card is huge and so might be problematic, try using a smaller one.

pure capacity should not be an issue, as it's still formatted as fat 32 and 32kb cluster size.
It'd think it would more have to do withe the brand, and how they make the card.

but I tried a 16gb sandisk as well, and it gave the same error.

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Kafluke

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, don't install ANY Wii IOS on vWii, or vice versa.

Yeah, well I figured, "I still have my nand backup, and switching all of the settings would take a while"
so I went ahead and switched the slots.

and it worked!

for anyone with the same issue, the process to do the flash that I used
wiiU ONLY!!!!!!!
can be found here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

just make sure to NOT use the alt version,

and what I did was put 57 in slot 249
and 56 in slot 250.

it boots fine now!

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a note, I did use the guide from that link to softmod my vWii and put 57 on 250 as the guide instructed and have no issues booting wiiflow or the wii games from it (although wiiflow does take like 5 seconds to start unlike if I launch from a USB external, but the games run smooth as usual), so it may be an issue with specific brand of SD cards. I am using a 32 GB Samsung Pro MicroSD with its SD adapter below.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU894/ref=psdc_3015433011_t2_B009SK57HY

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god! This has been driving me crazy. I couldn't load Wii games from ANY SD card!

I'm getting this error when trying to load a Wii game from any SDHC card on vWii:
ERROR: setting up fragments -2 3
ID mismatch [TITLE] []
ERROR: SetWBFS: -3

The problem as you guys found out was d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii. I repeated the steps in the tutorial here and used d2x-v10-beta52-vWii instead. Now I can play both Wii and Gamecube backups from the same SD card. Wow!

---------------------------------------------

For anyone else with this problem or future googlers, here are the steps cribbed from [Truth] to fix this error on Wii U vWii when using configurable USB Loader (cfg USB Loader) to load Wii backups or ISOs from an SD card or SDHC card:

Note: DO NOT install any Wii cIOS on Wii U vWii.

Lets go:
Download the following package:
www.mediafire.com/?n2zl8v5kn288j9d

1.) Extract the contents of vWii_cIOS_apps_20131218.zip to the root folder of your SD card.
Note: Make sure that you don't have any original Wii system files (like wads) on your SD Card!

2.) Launch d2x cIOS installer from the Homebrew Channel.

3.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> not d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii.
Select cIOS base : <56>
Select cIOS slot : <249>

4.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

5.) Press A to continue.

6.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> not d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii.
Select cIOS base : <57>
Select cIOS slot : <250>

7.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

8.) Press A to continue.

9.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> not d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii.
Select cIOS base : <58>
Select cIOS slot : <251>

10.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

11.) Press B to Exit.

12.) Launch newest CFG USB Loader MOD from the Homebrew Channel.
Note: To copy game images from PC to your SDHC card with the correct folder names and structure, use Wii Backup Manager.

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god! This has been driving me crazy. I couldn't load Wii games from ANY SD card!

The problem as you guys found out was d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii. I repeated the steps in the tutorial here and used d2x-v10-beta52-vWii instead. Now I can play both Wii and Gamecube backups from the same SD card. Wow!

For anyone else with this problem or future googlers, here are the steps cribbed from [Truth] to fix this error on Wii U vWii when using configurable USB Loader (cfg USB Loader) to load Wii backups or ISOs from an SD card or SDHC card:

Lets go:

1.) Extract the contents of vWii_cIOS_apps_20131218.zip to the root folder of your SD card.
Note: Make sure that you don't have any original Wii system files (like wads) on your SD Card!

5.) Press A to continue.

8.) Press A to continue.

11.) Press B to Exit.

Note: To copy game images from PC to your SDHC card with the correct folder names and structure, use Wii Backup Manager.

hmm, I'm not sure why that did not work for me, for some reason I just could not load from 56, and I tried from two separate SD cards.
(different brands, capacities, but there were both class 10 full sized cards.)

well I'm glad we have both methods in this post!
you've probably seen how may posts across various websites (and languages)
have this problem, with no solutions!

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
hmm, I'm not sure why that did not work for me, for some reason I just could not load from 56, and I tried from two separate SD cards.

We had basically the same problem with the previous cIOS, just approached the solution differently I think.

Thomas Diaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lets go:

5.) Press A to continue.

8.) Press A to continue.

11.) Press B to Exit.

We had basically the same problem with the previous cIOS, just approached the solution differently I think.
Hey i have the same problem i am going to try this method but what loader did you use to fix it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Kinda late but i have the same problem too i think. I am using a 64gbxc with adapter formatted to fat32 and when i put games on the card no problems but while in the loader all games are viewable but do not boot or fail immediately. I will try your method above and also what loader did you use in the end to resolve this?

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey i have the same problem i am going to try this method but what loader did you use to fix it?

Kinda late but i have the same problem too i think. I am using a 64gbxc with adapter formatted to fat32 and when i put games on the card no problems but while in the loader all games are viewable but do not boot or fail immediately. I will try your method above and also what loader did you use in the end to resolve this?
cfg loader mod, here:
http://homebrew.svalas.net/

What fixed my problem was a different cIOS, but the right loader is important too.

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
just a note, I did use the guide from that link to softmod my vWii and put 57 on 250 as the guide instructed and have no issues booting wiiflow or the wii games from it (although wiiflow does take like 5 seconds to start unlike if I launch from a USB external, but the games run smooth as usual), so it may be an issue with specific brand of SD cards. I am using a 32 GB Samsung Pro MicroSD with its SD adapter below.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU894/ref=psdc_3015433011_t2_B009SK57HY

Same here with PNY 256gb 32k cluster
It does take 5 sec to load WiiFlow unlike using USB.. but games running smoothly.

I use this card for both wiiu and wii games without any problems

Jaxon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I tell USB Loader GX to look for SD? In the Hard Drive settings it says "Not initialized" and I can't seem to find where to tell it to look in SD for Wii games.

freakE3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am pretty frustrated and really need help. Wii U has Haxchi working fine. Now I wanted to get my vWii with SD (128GB SanDisk) to work so I can get rid of my Wii and have everything on one. But the games will not run on Wiiflow, and cfg just freezes at the boot screen, so I have to unplug it that it turns off. Did everything what needed to be done. I followed all the steps from here: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki/7:-vWii-Modding

I am pretty much a noob when it gets down to the ios stuff or cios. So I just followed all the steps. At the end I installed ios80 but here and there I read to use ios236. But what is the difference?

So what am I doing wrong? Should I just maybe follow the steps from Heran Bago in this forum with the d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> not d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii ? And that leads me to the next question. Is ok to use cIOS to just follow those upper steps when having it on d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii? I don´t have to restore the defaults first before folowing those steps? I am just making sure. And if I do need ios236, can I just install it, even when having ios80 on it?

My SD 128GB has the FAT32 format with 64kb cluster. Not sure, but somewhere I read it had to be 32kb to make this work. When I would like to use a different SD, can I copy all the files from it to another SD and use it on MY Haxchi WiiU.
Sorry for all the questions, but this is making me crazy. Hope you guys can help out.

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I tell USB Loader GX to look for SD? In the Hard Drive settings it says "Not initialized" and I can't seem to find where to tell it to look in SD for Wii games.

I don't think we ever got a solution for that, I ended up using CFG as it plays both wii/gc titles off of an SD.

So I am pretty frustrated and really need help. Wii U has Haxchi working fine. Now I wanted to get my vWii with SD (128GB SanDisk) to work so I can get rid of my Wii and have everything on one. But the games will not run on Wiiflow, and cfg just freezes at the boot screen, so I have to unplug it that it turns off. Did everything what needed to be done. I followed all the steps from here: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki/7:-vWii-Modding

I am pretty much a noob when it gets down to the ios stuff or cios. So I just followed all the steps. At the end I installed ios80 but here and there I read to use ios236. But what is the difference?

So what am I doing wrong? Should I just maybe follow the steps from Heran Bago in this forum with the d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> not d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii ? And that leads me to the next question. Is ok to use cIOS to just follow those upper steps when having it on d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii? I don´t have to restore the defaults first before folowing those steps? I am just making sure. And if I do need ios236, can I just install it, even when having ios80 on it?

My SD 128GB has the FAT32 format with 64kb cluster. Not sure, but somewhere I read it had to be 32kb to make this work. When I would like to use a different SD, can I copy all the files from it to another SD and use it on MY Haxchi WiiU.
Sorry for all the questions, but this is making me crazy. Hope you guys can help out.

Yes, you should be using 32k clusters for this.

I'm not sure about the cIOS differences, this thread is over 2 years old, and predates that guide.

I'd suggest asking here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/

BOBdotEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

freakE3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP? what is that? feeling stupid now....all this is really stressing me...want this to work...don´t need two consoles when I could have one working perfectly with everything

Last edited by freakE3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-