Hacking Hard time after update (B9S + Luma)

Andrew26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone, I'm having a really hard time after the last update.
First of all, I must admit I cannot remember which way to flash my gf 3ds I used. For mine, I'm sure I used the B9S + Luma.
Btw, after last update, my gf 3ds won't boot. So I simply replaced the luma files with the updated ones.
It worked with mine, so I hoped the same for hers.
And here comes the pain: the 3ds won't boot in any way.
I tried to follow the guide by 3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s but the problem is that by the chainloader I can only access GodMode9. I can move all the files I want but only GodMode is available. And more to this, I tried to update also GodMode (the one on the 3ds is 1.4.something) but if I put the updated files on the SD, by the chainloader I can only access the old version, which is useless because I can't follow any tutorial that asks to go to the script section because I have no script section in my GodMode.
Any suggestions?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello and welcome to GBAtemp.

Please hold the (Select) button on power on to see the Luma3DS version. On the top of the upper screen it should say "Luma3DS v???? configuration". If the version number is v7.0.5 or lower the console has A9LH which would be a case for https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s (doubt it since GodMode9 v1.4 already is a .firm payload).
If the version is v7.1 the console has an outdated version of B9S.

The other possibility is B9S having trouble reading the files from SD and falls back to the copies on CTRNAND. Try another FAT32 formatted SD.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Andrew26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for your reply!
Yup, you've got it. On my gf 3ds Lumia is version 8.1.1 but if I look at the bottom corner there's no other indication.
On mine on the other hand, I've got the last version (10.2.1) but it's also specified in the bottom corner "Booted from SD via B9S".

Ok, now my question is: should I use another FAT32 SD and follow this guide :3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s or another one?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your reply!
Yup, you've got it. On my gf 3ds Lumia is version 8.1.1 but if I look at the bottom corner there's no other indication.
On mine on the other hand, I've got the last version (10.2.1) but it's also specified in the bottom corner "Booted from SD via B9S".

Ok, now my question is: should I use another FAT32 SD and follow this guide :3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s or another one?
Ah. Okay. One step further. Having v8.1.1 means the B9S version is able to load latest .firm files.

The main method to rule out any possible SD issues is Quadruple reformat. Don't forget to backup the data before and don't skip h2testw to ensure the SD is fully working.

Since this is some work and takes a lot of time, I prefer trying another FAT32 formatted SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm for a quick test. If the spare SD and the SD reader in the console are working, this should make the 3DS boot.

The message "Booted from SD via B9S" or "Booted from CTRNAND via B9S" on the very bottom doesn't exist in older releases, so it is no wonder there is no indication on 8.1.1.

Andrew26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, quick tested using my SD formatted in FAT32 and nothing else than the Luma boot.firm. I get in the 10.2.1 configuration screen with the message "Booted from SD via B9S" but when I press START to save and go on, I simply got the black screen..

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, quick tested using my SD formatted in FAT32 and nothing else than the Luma boot.firm. I get in the 10.2.1 configuration screen with the message "Booted from SD via B9S" but when I press START to save and go on, I simply got the black screen..
Sorry for late reply. Wonder why nobody else took over.

Since the secondary SD is being successfully read, you can now proceed by putting putting latest GodMode9 on your SD and with updating Luma3DS on NAND.
  • Backup the NAND to an image (even if it seems or is software bricked) on a known good, h2testw tested SD and store the backup on your computer.
  • Try if recovery mode loads.
  • If the firmware is damaged you can try CTRTransfer and/or CTRTransfer Type D9

Andrew26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello my man! First of all, don't worry!

Secondly (quite OT), you know, since the start of social network, forums are no longer what they were used to be. I'm 35 y.o. and I had many different passions (reptiles, bodybuilding and so on) and for every different passion I got in contact with different people thanks to forums. Nowadays I feel that FB, IG, Twitter just gave a sense of "I need an answer and I want it now" that no longer suits well in forums and it brings away the feeling of mutual connection that forums gave.

Old memories apart, I also managed to fix the problem! Don't ask me how, to be honest: I tried different solutions starting from the troubleshooting section of 3ds.hacks.guide but no one seemed to work. Black screen was always there, a part from when I tried to access the update section by the key combination during boot.

Then I threw it all out and by GM9 I took away all the CFW (risking the brick, I know) and then I tried to boot. Obviously it didn't work, I had the black screen.

In the meanwhile I was trying to find a solution but I forgot to turn the 3DS off and.. minutes later... a sound.. the mofo just booted!

So I proceeded to reinstall Luma and all the rest of the things I needed as per the guide and now it's working perfectly.

And they lived happily ever after..

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
Then I threw it all out and by GM9 I took away all the CFW (risking the brick, I know) and then I tried to boot. Obviously it didn't work, I had the black screen.

In the meanwhile I was trying to find a solution but I forgot to turn the 3DS off and.. minutes later... a sound.. the mofo just booted!

So I proceeded to reinstall Luma and all the rest of the things I needed as per the guide and now it's working perfectly.

And they lived happily ever after..
Well, you got 200% lucky with that. Uninstalling CFW almost never is the solution for anything. I mostly use this metaphor: Your house (console) has internal damage (software brick). Uninstalling CFW is like leaving the house, locking the door and throwing away the key while hoping magic will repair the damage inside.

Seems I forgot this one: Yes, in sometimes Home Menu will start after leaving the console a few minutes or even half an hour on black screens (I think backlight is already on at this point). I have no idea what causes it, but it happens (and I've had this issue myself on the test console). For the record: This would probably also have worked without uninstalling B9S – which is an unnecessary risk if you don't have an ntrboot cart at hand.

Thanks for reporting back! Not all people do this. Some threads stay unfinished in limbo state forever. It is always nice to read a device is working again.

I can only repeat my phrase at this point:
Good luck and have fun!

Hello my man! First of all, don't worry!

Secondly (quite OT), you know, since the start of social network, forums are no longer what they were used to be. I'm 35 y.o. and I had many different passions (reptiles, bodybuilding and so on) and for every different passion I got in contact with different people thanks to forums. Nowadays I feel that FB, IG, Twitter just gave a sense of "I need an answer and I want it now" that no longer suits well in forums and it brings away the feeling of mutual connection that forums gave.
Off-topic, but interesting. Never used Facebook and the like.

The "need reply instant" is a serious modern problem in my opinion. Using the bus for getting from A to B instead of a car can be quite helpful studying people. More than once I've seen this behavior pattern:
*Types message in WhatsApp* → Display off. Phone in pocket. Twenty seconds later:
*Takes phone out of the pocket, turns display on* (no reply) → Display off, phone in pocket.
*Waits another 30 seconds* → Phone out, display on… *Writes a second message* (probably: "Why don't you answer my message?!")

That is not okay! Nobody has the right to demand instant replies on questions. But normally I don't wait for more than 24 hours unless my mental condition isn't allowing any concentration. Since softbrick repair can be a tricky affair and can backfire if done wrong, I need full concentration when writing.

Andrew26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, you got 200% lucky with that. Uninstalling CFW almost never is the solution for anything. I mostly use this metaphor: Your house (console) has internal damage (software brick). Uninstalling CFW is like leaving the house, locking the door and throwing away the key while hoping magic will repair the damage inside.

Seems I forgot this one: Yes, in sometimes Home Menu will start after leaving the console a few minutes or even half an hour on black screens (I think backlight is already on at this point). I have no idea what causes it, but it happens (and I've had this issue myself on the test console). For the record: This would probably also have worked without uninstalling B9S – which is an unnecessary risk if you don't have an ntrboot cart at hand.

Thanks for reporting back! Not all people do this. Some threads stay unfinished in limbo state forever. It is always nice to read a device is working again.

I can only repeat my phrase at this point:
Good luck and have fun!

Yup, I admit I ran an unnecessary risk with this one, but it was the perfect excuse to buy a Switch to replace the no-more working 3DS!

I think it's important to point out that it may take up to 30 minutes on black screen because I'm not in a hurry, but if I see that there are no signs of life in the console, I start thinking it won't work. I mean, in a computer it's more easy to check for lifesigns but on a 3DS it's really difficult to see if it's booting or if finally became a brick..

Once again, thanks for your help!

Yup, unfortunately I can see your point.
Me neither, I don't go on FB or socials to find an answer to my tech problems but as far as I can see, much people, expecially younger one, try to find a quick response in this way and it slowly kiled the forum panorama in my opinion..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O