Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

kaz321123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 'rampage' working in mame2000, in case anyone likes that game.

It wasn't working in mame2003. Also, rampage world works in mame2003.

TokyoMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After close to an hour of tedious testing. I have come to the conclusion that after you open/view a set amount of games or folders, the system will eventually crash to a black screen, while browsing through folders, it'll freeze and force you to restart, or when entering a folder, leaving a folder, or entering a game. Upon rebooting you are greeted with a C8 error which then upon resetting again you get a C2 error splash that tells you that your console has been restored to factory settings. However this error is false seeing as all of my added games and save states (i was stressing my console, got 300 save states before I got bored) remained. I have been able to reproduce this on Hackchi 2.13B and Hackchi 2.13E. I believe it is due to the way the ram retains data throughout your session, it eventually becomes too much for the console and forces it to reboot into those 2 aforementioned errors. Not a terrible devastating bug but pretty inconvenient. I had over 600 games 30 per folder with 20 folders and another set up with 30 folders and close to 800 games.

I was wondering if this is such a weird scenario that it's not worth addressing it for a bug fix, or should some higher-up more well versed people such as Cluster look into this?

After a re-sync, booting, it's exactly the same... going in and out of folders, testing games. Eventually there will be a c8 followed with a c8 on start up, then c2 to restore the system, which just leads back to your normal system.

It does seem like the memory is not being flushed. A bug that @Cluster may be able to solve? Is this happening in 2.12?

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it and SNES does not work with 60 games even after clearing off NES and Game Boy. The problem exists somewhere in the process of adding new SNES games to the existing working 44 and then resorting with the folder manager. I really think something with the folder manager is buggy. I mean, even if I were able to get it working by somehow renaming and resorting folders until it works, that would still just be a workaround. A bug is a bug.

I am about to reflash with four SNES folders of 15 games each on the main menu.
Yeah that's weird as hell. It hates your snes bro. Have you tried just syncing with all the games mixed. No custom folders. Just do 30 a folder for all games. And see if your snes games play. I know it's nice to have seperate system folders but right now if them all mixed together works then that's alright. I also believe it has something to do with the folder system that's why I think you should try it just all games alphabetical 30 a folder. I believe that seperate system folders loaded with games overwhelms it. It's fully optimized for breaking up nes games in Chunks. I don't think it is fully optimized to break up these other systems bigger games. Back to back. That's why it's buggy. It might try to start the next game and then it's too big and has to stop and then start again and that could mess that game up and the whole folder I bet. I also think it has something to do with the compression.

Last edited by youngtune27,

dandeleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After close to an hour of tedious testing. I have come to the conclusion that after you open/view a set amount of games or folders, the system will eventually crash to a black screen, while browsing through folders, it'll freeze and force you to restart, or when entering a folder, leaving a folder, or entering a game. Upon rebooting you are greeted with a C8 error which then upon resetting again you get a C2 error splash that tells you that your console has been restored to factory settings. However this error is false seeing as all of my added games and save states (i was stressing my console, got 300 save states before I got bored) remained. I have been able to reproduce this on Hackchi 2.13B and Hackchi 2.13E. I believe it is due to the way the ram retains data throughout your session, it eventually becomes too much for the console and forces it to reboot into those 2 aforementioned errors. Not a terrible devastating bug but pretty inconvenient. I had over 600 games 30 per folder with 20 folders and another set up with 30 folders and close to 800 games.

I was wondering if this is such a weird scenario that it's not worth addressing it for a bug fix, or should some higher-up more well versed people such as Cluster look into this?

Nothing to say except I've seen the same, running *nothing* but NES games.

It does, however, seem linked to Retroarch...I haven't exhaustively tested it, but I suspect if you stick to nothing but games supported by Kachikachi, it won't happen.

Hopefully Cluster can gain more insight once he achieves the ability to view the filesystem "live".

Rodney

I too am running NES games only and still triggered the error. I do have retroarch installed to run those mapper incompaible games. I will try to trigger this error again by putting games with supported mappers only and not install retroarch. I will post later.

That's why I still have 2.12. I don't have any issues with it. When did it start doing this for you?

After a re-sync, booting, it's exactly the same... going in and out of folders, testing games. Eventually there will be a c8 followed with a c8 on start up, then c2 to restore the system, which just leads back to your normal system.

It does seem like the memory is not being flushed. A bug that @Cluster may be able to solve? Is this happening in 2.12?

Just tested the same scenario on my Hackchi 2.11 system with 600 games, 20 folders with 30 games each. Exact same thing happened after 5-10 minutes of entering, exiting folders. C8 error followed by C2. This bug is present even in Hackchi 2.11

I hope Cluster is aware of this at least. Hope I didn't waste all this time for nothing since apparently no one else was complaining about this issue.

chillmodious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's weird as hell. It hates your snes bro. Have you tried just syncing with all the games mixed. No custom folders. Just do 30 a folder for all games. And see if your snes games play. I know it's nice to have seperate system folders but right now if them all mixed together works then that's alright. I also believe it has something to do with the folder system that's why I think you should try it just all games alphabetical 30 a folder. I believe that seperate system folders loaded with games overwhelms it. It's fully optimized for breaking up nes games in Chunks. I don't think it is fully optimized to break up these other systems bigger games. Back to back. That's why it's buggy. It might try to start the next game and then it's too big and has to stop and then start again and that could mess that game up and the whole folder I bet. I also think it has something to do with the compression.
Holy shit it finally worked! 244 NES, 18 GB, 60 SNES. I might actually be done. I split the SNES games into four folders of fifteen games each, on the main screen. So my main folders are Game Boy, NES, Super Nintendo 1, Super Nintendo 2, Super Nintendo 3, Super Nintendo 4. All folders are accessible, and all systems playable/saveable. @saxman717

Last edited by chillmodious,
Reactions: saxman717

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit it finally worked! 244 NES, 18 GB, 60 SNES. I might actually be done. I split the SNES games into four folders of fifteen games each, on the main screen. So my main folders are Game Boy, NES, Super Nintendo 1, Super Nintendo 2, Super Nintendo 3, Super Nintendo 4. All folders are accessible, and all systems playable/savable.
Hell yes! I bet thats a huge relief. See it was always recommended for 30 a folder when it was nes games, but maybe it's a lot different for other games. What I don't get tho i seen someone with like 130 snes games in a main folder so it's whatev haha

saxman717

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit it finally worked! 244 NES, 18 GB, 60 SNES. I might actually be done. I split the SNES games into four folders of fifteen games each, on the main screen. So my main folders are Game Boy, NES, Super Nintendo 1, Super Nintendo 2, Super Nintendo 3, Super Nintendo 4. All folders are accessible, and all systems playable/saveable. @saxman717

Great to hear! Let's all hope that this bug gets ironed out soon (if it can be). In the meantime, enjoy your stable system jam-packed with classics!!!!

chillmodious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell yes! I bet thats a huge relief. See it was always recommended for 30 a folder when it was nes games, but maybe it's a lot different for other games. What I don't get tho i seen someone with like 130 snes games in a main folder so it's whatev haha

Oh man. I'd say "you have no idea," but I'm sure you have every idea! lol

And I agree...while I'm more than happy with my 60 SNES games, it's crazy that people have been able to put over 100 on it.

Great to hear! Let's all hope that this bug gets ironed out soon (if it can be). In the meantime, enjoy your stable system jam-packed with classics!!!!

Thank you! Very relieved. I have to think it's something that can be fixed, but it's more a matter of whether or not Cluster has the time to spend on that particular issue.

Kobe46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I created a Overlay injection mod for hakchi.

This will allow you to inject Overlay files into the default folder of your overlays in RetroArch. I created this so that you don't need to sync retroarch.hmod over and over again to add overlays, this will just place them in your current RetroArch installation.

Please read the readme.
Readme: https://github.com/Kobe46/Overlay/blob/master/README.md
Release: https://github.com/Kobe46/Overlay/releases

I would like to thank @pcm720 for the templates to create this mod. I would like to thank nosh01 at Github for the Overlays.

Most of all Thanks to @Cluster and Madmonkey1907.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the release.

Enjoy.

tubebar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a bit off topic and doesn't interest casual users as it's not about adding new games, but I am trying to see if there is a way to "dump" the 30 NES/Famicom roms from the systems? I didn't see any way to do this.

The reason is to run the ROMs through GoodNES and see if there are any new rev or dumps we don't have.

This has nothing to do with adding new games or anything most users care about but I wanted to see if this was possible with the current tools.

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

This will allow you to inject Overlay files into the default folder of your overlays in RetroArch. I created this so that you don't need to sync retroarch.hmod over and over again to add overlays, this will just place them in your current RetroArch installation.

Please read the readme.

I would like to thank @pcm720 for the templates to create this mod. I would like to thank nosh01 at Github for the Overlays.

Enjoy.
Nice!! Thanks a lot!!

Reactions: kaz321123

kaz321123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a bit off topic and doesn't interest casual users as it's not about adding new games, but I am trying to see if there is a way to "dump" the 30 NES/Famicom roms from the systems? I didn't see any way to do this.

The reason is to run the ROMs through GoodNES and see if there are any new rev or dumps we don't have.

This has nothing to do with adding new games or anything most users care about but I wanted to see if this was possible with the current tools.
And then you find out nintendo is using the same super mario brothers rom the rest of the internet has been using since 1998. :P hehe j/k, kinda. iNES headers ftw.

"Eurogamer was able to verify both that these headers do indeed exist in the Virtual Console version of the game and that the game in question is identical to earlier, pre-VC versions of the Super Mario Bros. ROM." -technobuffalo article. :P Nintendo denies this, hehe :P

"Nintendo outsourcing the emulation of the game to a third party, and the third party taking to the internet when the physical cartridge was unavailable.". I don't care how it happened, I just think it is funny.

Last edited by kaz321123,

TokyoMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Please read the readme.

Enjoy.

That's very cool that you can do this individually as to save space.

Someone on reddit made an .hmod with all of the console and handheld border overlays in one. At about 30 mb.

The post is here:https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...mod_install_cheat_files_for_use_in_retroarch/

And link to that hmod is in the comments section, but here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/om2evyqb3hkaokp/retroarch_addon_overlays.hmod?dl=0

Kobe46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's very cool that you can do this individually as to save space.

Someone on reddit made an .hmod with all of the console and handheld border overlays in one. At about 30 mb.

The post is here:https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...mod_install_cheat_files_for_use_in_retroarch/

And link to that hmod is in the comments section, but here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/om2evyqb3hkaokp/retroarch_addon_overlays.hmod?dl=0

Yea. Since there can be many versions of overlays, it might get bloated. I am trying to find away to uninstall them from the location now. Having trouble, I think it is because the .config folder is hidden. I will work on that tomorrow.

Trmpt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing to say except I've seen the same, running *nothing* but NES games.

It does, however, seem linked to Retroarch...I haven't exhaustively tested it, but I suspect if you stick to nothing but games supported by Kachikachi, it won't happen.

Hopefully Cluster can gain more insight once he achieves the ability to view the filesystem "live".

Rodney
I have a 2.11 setup prior to retro and get these errors although irritating I restart and move on

CloakedAlien

Trophies
XP
Country
Apologies if this is obvious or is answered somewhere in the thread.

I used this tool myself for the first time just a few days ago. Absolutely fantastic!

I recommended a friend to try it out. But he asked me a question I don't know the answer to and I don't have access to my console right now.

Will the hakchi2-process remove any existing savegames / savestates? Apparently his wife has made a lot of progress in Zelda.

Also, how are the saves handled? If I remove a game will the savestate be lost or will it take up storagespace?

Cheers =)

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I use 2005 and it works for all SNES games with analog sticks.
Super Mario All-Stars doesn't seem to work with 2005, you can go through the menu but can't move Mario in the actual game. 2005 works great, although for a few exceptions I use 2010. All Mortal Kombat games have weird sound issues in 2005, Soul Blazer doesn't run at all and Star Fox is too fast and jerky. I haven't messed around with 2002 yet, anybody knows if there are advantages to run this core?

vintageretro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I never had a Neo Geo, so yesteraday i downloaded some roms and tried them on the pc. There are some fantasic games but the roms (for example metal slug Serie) are big like 20mb, 30mb or even more.
Before i test them on the classic, are they runnig 'cause of their size?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...