ROM Hack Had anyone tried to extract the limited release Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light NSP?

SerpensIgnis

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for pointing me to the tool, but are you sure we're talking about the same thing? I only mean to extract the translation from the Switch version, there's no need to patch the executable. I'd be patching the original famicom ROM.

Anyway, I've decided to take a shot at finding the table pointers. First of all, there was no Ghidra plugin for parsing an MMC4 cart, so I went ahead and implemented support for it in an existing plugin. It hasn't yet been integrated into the original repo, but you can find my pull request at the GhidraNes github (I'm not able to post links in the forum just yet).

A quick search over the binary has already produced interesting results. I've found four pointer tables, as follows:
  • $03:$A467 (50 entries): The dialog with NPCs you find in houses.
  • $04:$ADED (66 entries): The ending texts that describe what happened to the characters post-game.
  • $07:$84E4 (9 entries): Random stuff. I think this is unused data.
  • $11:$8FC2 (72 entries): Labels for menu items.

I'm also using an incomplete table file I found on RHDN. As far as I can tell, everything in it is correct. I've attached it to this post.

Attachments

• fe1_jp_tbl.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 13

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for pointing me to the tool, but are you sure we're talking about the same thing? I only mean to extract the translation from the Switch version, there's no need to patch the executable. I'd be patching the original famicom ROM.

Anyway, I've decided to take a shot at finding the table pointers. First of all, there was no Ghidra plugin for parsing an MMC4 cart, so I went ahead and implemented support for it in an existing plugin. It hasn't yet been integrated into the original repo, but you can find my pull request at the GhidraNes github (I'm not able to post links in the forum just yet).

A quick search over the binary has already produced interesting results. I've found four pointer tables, as follows:
  • $03:$A467 (50 entries): The dialog with NPCs you find in houses.
  • $04:$ADED (66 entries): The ending texts that describe what happened to the characters post-game.
  • $07:$84E4 (9 entries): Random stuff. I think this is unused data.
  • $11:$8FC2 (72 entries): Labels for menu items.

I'm also using an incomplete table file I found on RHDN. As far as I can tell, everything in it is correct. I've attached it to this post.
We're probably not talking about the same thing, my main objective was to translate the Switch rom into Portuguese, patching the exefs and running the translation into my language through Atmosphere, if I understand you correctly, you want to patch the original rom from Famicon, it's different indeed

The Translation itself I already extracted the majority of it in 2021-2022 with Kruptar7 and also made some patching tests on the switch, but to me at least, there is no use with just the extracted text, without the offset table to proper translate the game languages other than English.

ReyVGM

Game Endings Master
Trophies
Website
www.vgmuseum.com
XP
Country
We're probably not talking about the same thing, my main objective was to translate the Switch rom into Portuguese, patching the exefs and running the translation into my language through Atmosphere, if I understand you correctly, you want to patch the original rom from Famicon, it's different indeed

The Translation itself I already extracted the majority of it in 2021-2022 with Kruptar7 and also made some patching tests on the switch, but to me at least, there is no use with just the extracted text, without the offset table to proper translate the game languages other than English.

Hey MrVtR.

Any chance you could provide me with that script dump? I'm specifically interested in the ending epilogues. I would love to read what they all say since I'll never be able to get them myself while playing.

It's for a book I'm writing and I would definitely credit you for the contribution!

Last edited by ReyVGM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1