Hacking Hacking vWii - IOS80 or IOS236?

Samwix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I just installed HBC on my vWii and I want to install cIOS and hack it.

But should I patch IOS80 or IOS236 (I want to install Nintendont and USB Loader GX channels)?

Thanks

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
cIOS 236 (A patched vIOS36) Is useful for some homebrew applications, however for what you desire it's neither to patch vIOS80 or Install CIOS236.

To play games from nintendont, nothing is required as it uses the stock vIOS 58. And to play wii games from a USB drive required you to have installed the d2x cIOS in Slots 249, 250 and 251.

And I would like to give you a BIG WARNING not to patch vIOS 80 unless you really know what you're doing and ready to restore a potential brick. And as second, be careful not to install any old wii IOS, only install vIOSes.

To install d2x cIOS there are guides for that here on GBAtemp. https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

Samwix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
cIOS 236 (A patched vIOS36) Is useful for some homebrew applications, however for what you desire it's neither to patch vIOS80 or Install CIOS236.

To play games from nintendont, nothing is required as it uses the stock vIOS 58. And to play wii games from a USB drive required you to have installed the d2x cIOS in Slots 249, 250 and 251.

And I would like to give you a BIG WARNING not to patch vIOS 80 unless you really know what you're doing and ready to restore a potential brick. And as second, be careful not to install any old wii IOS, only install vIOSes.

To install d2x cIOS there are guides for that here on GBAtemp. https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/
Ok thanks!! I can still install channels without cIOS236/Patched IOS80?

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Personally I would be very careful to install channels tbh... If the channel would have a bad banner that would cause a banner brick, which on the wii was quite easy to fix if you had priiloader installed, however on the Wii U such a brick is much harder to fix. Installing forwarders for Usb Loader GX and such that are in the guide I linked you earlier are okay to install, well since they're verified by alot of pepole to be working.

A safer way to install channels, which you are uncertain of their safety would be in Emunand. Altough I don't have alot of experience on that, altough I can say that using USB loader GX emunand is quite neat.

You could install cIOS 236, since there is a custom installer for that specific cIOS which is basically a click to run. But stay away from Patching vIOS 80.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Personally I would be very careful to install channels tbh... If the channel would have a bad banner that would cause a banner brick, which on the wii was quite easy to fix if you had priiloader installed, however on the Wii U such a brick is much harder to fix. Installing forwarders for Usb Loader GX and such that are in the guide I linked you earlier are okay to install, well since they're verified by alot of pepole to be working.

A safer way to install channels, which you are uncertain of their safety would be in Emunand. Altough I don't have alot of experience on that, altough I can say that using USB loader GX emunand is quite neat.

You could install cIOS 236, since there is a custom installer for that specific cIOS which is basically a click to run. But stay away from Patching vIOS 80.
You can "unbrick" banner bricks easily by using the tool FIX94 released recently for accessing the Homebrew Launcher directly when going into vWii mode.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,

I just installed HBC on my vWii and I want to install cIOS and hack it.

But should I patch IOS80 or IOS236 (I want to install Nintendont and USB Loader GX channels)?

Thanks
Patched IOS80 is only needed if you want to move pirated/fakesigned WADs to the SD card and run them from the SD card menu. You can also run WADs from the SD card without patched IOS80 by using emuNAND.
IOS236 is used for installing certain WADs, but IOS249 can be used instead for the same purpose, so it's not really needed.
Just install IOS249 (base 56) and IOS250 (base 57) using d2x beta10 v52 and you will be fine. Don't use v53-alt.

Samwix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Patched IOS80 is only needed if you want to move pirated/fakesigned WADs to the SD card and run them from the SD card menu. You can also run WADs from the SD card without patched IOS80 by using emuNAND.
IOS236 is used for installing certain WADs, but IOS249 can be used instead for the same purpose, so it's not really needed.
Just install IOS249 (base 56) and IOS250 (base 57) using d2x beta10 v52 and you will be fine. Don't use v53-alt.
Why v53-alt is recommended then?

Yeah, I meant I wanna install forwarders (I don't really know the difference with channels though)...
I think I'm going to follow the Definitive Guide you linked!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why v53-alt is recommended then?

Yeah, I meant I wanna install forwarders (I don't really know the difference with channels though)...
I think I'm going to follow the Definitive Guide you linked!
v53-alt supports both rear USB ports, which can be a benefit to some people, but it has worse compatibility with emuNAND and USB drives so I generally don't recommend it. If it works fine for you, there's nothing wrong with using it.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
v53-alt supports both rear USB ports, which can be a benefit to some people, but it has worse compatibility with emuNAND and USB drives so I generally don't recommend it. If it works fine for you, there's nothing wrong with using it.
I had problemas using v52 with EmuNAND through WiiFlow.

Using v53-alt as the IOS for WiiFlow solved my issues.

Samwix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hm... If there's low compatibility with USB drives then it's pretty problematic since I use Nintendont with one...

How to replace v53-alt by v52 if I need to?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hm... If there's low compatibility with USB drives then it's pretty problematic since I use Nintendont with one...

How to replace v53-alt by v52 if I need to?
I don't know exactly how much of a difference it makes. v53 seems to work fine for most. I wouldn't worry too much.
Also, Nintendont isn't affected, it doesn't use cIOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up