Hacked wii - games do not load up, hiilp

krapock Sep 5, 2019.

1. krapock
    OP

krapock Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    Guinea
    So, got a new old wii, hacked through it, installed the homebrew, bootmii as boot2, cIOS on 249-56 / 250-57 / 251-58, USBloaderGX and some utilities.
    Then I copied a bunch of games on a USB (NTFS and FAT), load and see them in loaderGX.

the problem :
    in USBLoaderGX, when I start a game : black screen and ... back to the homebrew
    Same with Wiiflow

Can someone help me figure it out, how to debug the thing to get insight, or give me some hints on what i can try next ?
    Many thanks

Here's some Syscheck log (in french because i can)

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

Syscheck report ==> OK

Is your Loader (usb loader gx) up to date ??

usb loader gx ==>https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/

USB keys work poorly with Wii (often black screen).
    Try formatting your USB stick into fat 32 or WBFS, and see the result.

Or else take a DDE in FAT 32, for a better connection with the Wii.

3. krapock
    OP

krapock Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    Guinea
    usb loader gx fresh from yesterday (r1272)
    Already tried NTFS and FAT32.
    Can't find a way to format directly to WBFS (ubuntu here, most linux programs are broken here, like wiithon)

What do you mean "USB sticks often black screen" ? Is there a reason for that ? like literally everyone get those problems ? Is it helping if I try other USB sticks ?
    When suggesting to use a DDE in FAT32, you mean a USB-connected DDE, right ? why is it a better connection? I fail to see the difference apart from the power source.

I'l try with multiple USB sticks formated in FAT32, as I do not onw any external DD at the time.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Don't bother with WBFS format, there's no point nowadays.
    USB sticks just don't work very well with cIOS. Very few can get them working at all, most people have the same issue as you. And even for the few that can get it working, they often have weird issues. USB HDDs are cheap, and 500GB is plenty for Wii and GC games, so it's not really worth the hassle.

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  5. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    I actually had a weird issue a couple years ago ordering a new HDD for my Wii. At the time it was cheaper to get a 1TB drive than a 500GB :wink:
    But anyway, those partitions on it should be formatted as Primary, too, IIRC.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yeah, the price difference between 500GB and 1TB is so small these days that it doesn't even matter.

jeannotte and Arecaidian Fox like this.
  7. krapock
    OP

krapock Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    Guinea
    OK then, I fail to see the difference, but my point of view doesn't really matter.
    I'll find a cheap 1T DD and post any significant change. Thank you for the meaningful answers.

8. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    U can try cfg USB loader, there's a chance it could work with your current USB drive

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  9. Vilagamer999

Vilagamer999 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    United States
    I had a similar problem, to fix it I first installed IOS236 and then changed ios game loading from 58 to 236 after that I changed the usb port from port 0 to both usb ports, worked fine all games load...

10. krapock
    OP

krapock Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    Guinea
    So ... I discovered that USB don't work BUT USB adaters for SDcards do. Since I got a few Go of cards, it's the best solution for me.

I did not try the solution of @Vilagamer999 yet, too busy actually play. I'll keep you posted.

11. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    U could also just use an SD card without a USB adapter. However, for this you should usb cfg usbloader over USB loader gx

12. krapock
    OP

krapock Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    Guinea
    @XFlak indeed, but i would have to swap stuff around. The beast is already complicated for my non-techie household mates. That'd be too much. I'll be giving a try with it and a USB/USB-SD tonight though, as it may give some simplification opportunities.
    By the way, the correct version is a pain to find on the web. if you know where the sources are, I could github it.

13. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    I'm not sure what exactly it is you're asking for.... but ModMii has got everything. If you don't want to use a wizard/guide you can download stuff directly from ModMii Classic's download pages

Edit: for the links themselves I would need to either look at the modmii source or do some googling. Easier to just use ModMii

Last edited by XFlak, Sep 9, 2019
  14. krapock
    OP

krapock Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    Guinea
    Well, as it comes with an installer, modmii is a pain to run in linux
    + the fact that i'm not super cool with downloading a closed-source project from a hacking community (even though it surely won't crack open my wine/virtualbox )

also, the 2 versions of usb cfg usbloader i found just do not run on my wii :/

I'll just stick with my usb/sd adapter and my forwarder to usbLoaderGx. It's a working and very simple solution for almost all the games I have.

15. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Last edited by jeannotte, Sep 10, 2019
  16. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

OUUPS !!!:unsure:

Last edited by jeannotte, Sep 10, 2019
  17. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Modmii is note closed source. It's a batch file it's pretty much impossible to make that closed source, lol. If you want to just grab the zip file for the latest version you can do that, no need to use the installer if you don't want to.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted