Hacking Hack SXOS

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it just fixed that Rommenu works, basically what most people use SXOS for.
Tinfoil, SX Dumper etc. do not work at the moment. @mrdude example is checking what might cause it.

You still need a Hardmod for Lite and newer Switches.
yeah that is what I figured, the SXOS chips are using a STM32 or a clone of it to do glitch attack i think
I been away awhile , so nobody ever came up with an open source chip for the lite/mariko for spacecraft yet?
if they did then I presume that it would be useable with this cracked FW since the SXOS core and lite FW's have already been dumped a while ago

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it just fixed that Rommenu works, basically what most people use SXOS for.
Tinfoil, SX Dumper etc. do not work at the moment. @mrdude example is checking what might cause it.

You still need a Hardmod for Lite and newer Switches.
yeah that is what I figured, the SXOS chips are using a STM32 or a clone of it to do glitch attack i think
I been away awhile , so nobody ever came up with an open source chip for the lite/mariko for spacecraft yet?
if they did then I presume that it would be useable with this cracked FW since the SXOS core and lite FW's have already been dumped a while ago

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You still need something to "inject" the code. It's possible to make a chip doing that and it's probably better to port something like Hekate to it if so. Someone have yet to make it.

angrynewraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comment out this line: os.remove("rommenu.bin") - rename that bin file to nro.

Or you can just use python3-tx_unpack.py file that's already posted in this thread and use that on any sxos boot.dat version. rommenu.bin is found in the apps folder - just rename to rommenu.nro.
So I was able to boot into sxos with your tool for the license and modified boot.dat but I can't access any of my cheats from within sxos could be due to the type of license. When I run my game then go under album icon and go over to cheats section of sxos it says no game running.

Last edited by angrynewraze,

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I took the trouble to read all the pages since my last comment. It seems like yesterday ... and I am amazed at how much they have accomplished.

Sorry to doubt @Reacher17 , maybe we didn't give him the space he needed. But I realized what he was doing by reading his OP again. I knew it was possible. This type of work has been done before in software to generate valid keys that require a backend from the provider. It seems to me you've worked on that before. You practically already have experience.

I congratulate you, I know you still have many things to offer. Hopefully someday I will get my hands on DevXUnityUnpacker, I know you will find a great challenge with this software.

In good time to all who participated.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Fixed to put correct sha256 into app_header section:

Offending line typo:

wrong - sha256_rommenu = hashlib.sha256(bytes[0x610:0x1AD610]).hexdigest()
correct - sha256_rommenu = hashlib.sha256(bytes[0x610:0x1AC610]).hexdigest()

This still doesn't fix sxos based apps from working, probably this needs fixed by adding another patch to stage2, maybe @Reacher17 can fix this as he's far more advanced with this stuff than 99.99% of most people.

Attachments

• Python-3.9-hacksxos3.1.0.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 162

angrynewraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Offending line typo:

This still doesn't fix sxos based apps from working, probably this needs fixed by adding another patch to stage2, maybe @Reacher17 can fix this as he's far more advanced with this stuff than 99.99% of most people.
I hope he can fix it so that the cheats section of sxos works perfectly now bc right now it doesn't work at all and just gives a "No Game Running" error.

angrynewraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe on the first post it would be a good idea to create a "working" and "Not Working" list of SXOS features? - Great progress!
well cheats are definitely not working. But everything else seems to be working. I can use homebrew apps, install nsp/xci games, launch games, and access main settings. The way it looks to me is the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the cheats section. I went through the sxos fw to check everything.

Reactions: jellybeangreen2

stchris

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello here is my problem I am in fwo 8.0.1 on console 10.0.0 on emunand atmosphere

I took a 32 giga sd put the boot and license sx os 3.0.2 I have my License activated my games installed my return to the menu I have a white square with a circle that loads and not the displayed games and if I create myself the boot screen boot failed at

booting sx os

I also tried to create an emunand sx ox it is not recognized impossible to boot above above cfw in sx os I have a message that I cannot modify emunand disactived whether in fat 32 exfat

thank you in advance for your help

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country

Offending line typo:

kudos :bow:

I spent the night looking into several things regarding all this and finally understood some of the quirks... one of them is why core and lite are not acepting the boot.dat...

https://gist.github.com/hexkyz/cef102e45cea2cfba1350c7c42199983#file-tx_unpack-py-L20

this is the best script to understand latest things boot.dat; it is only unpacking and does not use all header fields but seeing hdr defintion and using an hex editor with a couple of different boot.dat versions did the trick.

the thing is core and lite check a 2048bit signature ( not just a hash ) that is stored after stage2 and pointed to by boot_dat_hdr_sig_offset field.

now, this is probably an RSA2048+SHA256 signature so we don't have the private key so we can't generate a valid signature for the changed header. Options:

a) crack the RSA signature check in sx modchip firmware
b) change the RSA public key to a given one, either one for all users or one per each user; the corresponding RSA private key would be provided when creating a boot.dat
c) I think the fingerprint can be spoofed in this same firmware and we would need nothing else, no need to mess with boot.dat. There's a 16 byte ID in the firmware and the fingerprint is either it itself or generated from it. So we can just set it to the same value as the donor one.
d) if we don't want to go this route we can do another thing which would also open other possibilities like having a C source code, confortable, sideloader to do 11.0.1 and future compatibilizations and feature additions easier. The idea is to use sxgear 1.1 and make a small chainloader that loads the original, unmodified boot.dat by respecting the boot.dat file format, ignoring the header signature ( or, if we want, we could sign it with a given private key and make this check the signature with its corresponding public key ), using the keys we use to create our boot.dat to decrypt the stages and jumping to the entrypoint of the last stage. The idea is we could also add changes just before jumping to entrypoint, things like sigpatches or hooks to adapt to new firmwares or new features, etc. Of course there are possible variants here, like just loading or embedding an unencrypted last stage only. It is just an adhoc chainloader written in C, easier to maintain and bridging the gap from sxgear to last stage only or full boot.dat and adding our own fixes and additions just before transferring it control. Think of it as a superlightweight hekate to fill this gap. Some sort of sigpatches compatibility could even be possible...

EDIT: I forgot to say that it might be the case that the signature key is the same used to decrypt the stages ( this would mean the signature would not be using asymetric crypto, it would not be RSA2048+SHA256 ). That would make it all easier and posible to sign boot.dat header properly. But still, that d) option still feels like a god idea to me...

EDIT2: I'll try contacting Spacecraft-NX creator to ask him about an SX modchip firmware dump. These modchips use ARM Cortex-M microcontrollers and this will easily give us some answers. OR I will read the tx modchip myself...

Last edited by Inaki,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
well cheats are definitely not working. But everything else seems to be working. I can use homebrew apps, install nsp/xci games, launch games, and access main settings. The way it looks to me is the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the cheats section. I went through the sxos fw to check everything.
Rommenu patches need modded - I saw in the code where this is called and it's been patched out so never reaches that part that loads cheats.

angrynewraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rommenu patches need modded - I saw in the code where this is called and it's been patched out so never reaches that part that loads cheats.
Does that mean the cheats part of sxos doesn't work?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i am on emunand..... thumbnail seems not working at all on the modded sxos boot.dat ..... any solution ? any possible fix?
on the modded boot.dat on my switch the thumbnails or icons work perfectly along with everything else except the cheats.

Reactions: Lamine and Inaki

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country

on the modded boot.dat on my switch the thumbnails or icons work perfectly along with everything else except the cheats.
So... that means tinfoil license check passes ?! :O:huh:

Reactions: Lamine

Lamine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
To do a quick test I used Inaki prepathced boot and licence and I renamed both the Atmosphere and sept folders on my sd card and tinfoil works without problems.
As soon as I have more time I will do more detailed tests.

Ciao!

how did you manage to get it work?

angrynewraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... that means tinfoil license check passes ?! :O:huh:
just checked tinfoil it opens perfectly and loads shops perfectly and lets me network install perfectly. So yes all in all tinfoil works perfectly all around. I just installed 3 dlcs for my one of my games via tinfoil store successfully.

don't know it just worked for me. Also for homebrews put them in the switch folder that way they show up perfectly.

TheyKilledKenny

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did a very simple and fast test:
- downloaded the Inaki prepatched boot.dat and licence.dat and put this file on sd root
- renamed the atmosphere and sept folder to remove Atmosphere presence on sd
- started the Switch using sxos payload.
- launched Tinfoil from the home menu icon, not the nro in hbmenu.
I didn't do anything else, I don't know which offending files @mrdude had on his sd before.
I still didn't tryed not renaming atmosphere and sept folder, maybe this weekend I'll have some spare time to try to help more.

Ciao.

Reactions: Lamine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, that was fun to watch. +1