Hacking [GUIDE] - Which flash cartridge should I buy?

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone enough general knowledge to extend the section on CFW in this guide?

I know this is really shitty, but it's better than nothing.

CFW is only available on consoles with a 4.x system menu.

Available Custom Firmwares:
Palantine CFW: Patches signature checks to allow unsigned apps/games/homebrew. Requires system menu 4.X. Made by yellows8 and derrek
Perfect Brick Tool CFW: This is a mod of the palantine CFW made to load on top of system nand instead of emunand.
NTR CFW: A CFW designed to load plugins. Requires system menu 4.X . Made by Cell9

(These are not actual custom firmwares, they require the ds profile exploit to be loaded and they patch some functions of nand or emulated nand)

GovanifY CFW: The same as palantine cfw, but with added network calls to his server

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I already had, did I miss a bit?

You need an old 3DS to get the exploit working on the N3DS, since it requires a save file from a working gateway exploit. So simply stating that you need OOT for gateway on N3DS is not enough.

Or use a Sky3DS to activate the gateway exploit :)

Also doesn't the new gateway exploit kill superstable 3d in N3DS?

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You need an old 3DS to get the exploit working on the N3DS, since it requires a save file from a working gateway exploit. So simply stating that you need OOT for gateway on N3DS is not enough.

Or use a Sky3DS to activate the gateway exploit :)

Also doesn't the new gateway exploit kill superstable 3d in N3DS?
Ah yes. My bad. Will fix it soon. Nah ss3d works fine (sometimes needs a shut/open of the console which isn't a big deal)

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I miss an option here.
Buy a Cubic Ninja and wait for KARL and OSKA.

Wait, isn't that speculative? If Karl3DS and OSKA ever work the way they should, we still don't know the downsides and if it will work on the N3DS, N3DS XL or even the 2DS, right? Just asking!

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
The biggest advantage for me is that the Sky3DS is truly portable, i.e. no internet required and no other devices (Andorid/PC/other cartridges) needed; just plug and play. If I were to leave the house I have no android device or any way of getting internet outside so the Gateway would have been unusable with the go-gateway exploit. We now have Cubic Ninja and Legend of Zelda exploits which involve swapping of cartridges instead, but additional purchases put me off, and when those exploits are patched in newer firmwares it will inevitably be another game that needs to be bought, seems a bit silly. The old DS profile exploit was brilliant and I very much look forward to seeing something similar in the future.

Anyway, can somebody please elaborate on setting up the gateway exploit server on PC.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I suggest this be moved to the Tutorials & FAQs section. It won't be buried as fast and therefore will be more appreciated there.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The biggest advantage for me is that the Sky3DS is truly portable, i.e. no internet required and no other devices (Andorid/PC/other cartridges) needed; just plug and play. If I were to leave the house I have no android device or any way of getting internet outside so the Gateway would have been unusable with the go-gateway exploit. We now have Cubic Ninja and Legend of Zelda exploits which involve swapping of cartridges instead, but additional purchases put me off, and when those exploits are patched in newer firmwares it will inevitably be another game that needs to be bought, seems a bit silly. The old DS profile exploit was brilliant and I very much look forward to seeing something similar in the future.

Anyway, can somebody please elaborate on setting up the gateway exploit server on PC.

Fair call, but unless your battery goes flat you don't need the Zelda/Cubic Ninja cartridge with gateway. You don't even need the gateway cartridge if you're using CIAs

The cubic ninja and zelda exploit was already blocked (post 9.2) so you're not going to have to buy another game as the updates all occur on the emunand not the sysnand (which will remain vulnerable as long as it stays on 9.2 or lower)

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Fair call, but unless your battery goes flat you don't need the Zelda/Cubic Ninja cartridge with gateway. You don't even need the gateway cartridge if you're using CIAs...

You mean putting the 3DS in sleep mode whilst the console is in Gateway mode? That does eat a fair bit of battery. But, good point, you shouldn't need to run the exploit unless you loose power it's just how comfortable you feel leaving it in sleep mode.

...AFAIK - The Cubic ninja entry point can't be patched and while the Zelda exploit can be, it doesn't matter if they do it because the patch will be optional so you can just not download it.

Why can't Cubic Ninja's entry point be patched? Because they are no longer pushing updates for it, what stops them from pushing an update now?

Edit: I see you've created a thread about this, it will be interesting to read the answers.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair call, but unless your battery goes flat you don't need the Zelda/Cubic Ninja cartridge with gateway. You don't even need the gateway cartridge if you're using CIAs

The cubic ninja and zelda exploit was already blocked (post 9.2) so you're not going to have to buy another game as the updates all occur on the emunand not the sysnand (which will remain vulnerable as long as it stays on 9.2 or lower)
Not necessarily true. The 3ds hiccups every now and then on its own, add in gateway and there are game freezes, accidental ejects etc. all the time.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not necessarily true. The 3ds hiccups every now and then on its own, add in gateway and there are game freezes, accidental ejects etc. all the time.
An eject doesn't require a reboot and I've never had any of my 3dss reboot on me due to instability

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An eject doesn't require a reboot and I've never had any of my 3dss reboot on me due to instability
i am glad for you, many others are not as fortunate. Happened twice this afternoon on a road trip to my son. N3ds froze up and he had to reboot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==