Hacking [GUIDE] - Which flash cartridge should I buy?

smasbros

Trophies
XP
Country
This guide is really good and useful , which those new users want to know before choosing flashcards, sticky this thread please...

Reactions: apoptygma

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edit seems to have broken the font sizes sorry (mobile edits) . Will fix when I can get to a PC.

-edit- just seems to display a bit odd on mobile. Not sure that's fixable. It's readable though so I'll leave it for now.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS (Gateway team currently working on compatibility, unreleased as of now)
Meh we'll give up on that little bit of info xD
I just thought there had to be a way to add something other than "yet".

Great guide, I'm bookmarking this to send to newcomers. Looks very professional so far~

It actually unblinded me about Sky3DS and helped me not completely reject it. It IS a useful flashcard with it's downsides. Gateway has it's downsides too and it's mainly compatibility. For most people, Sky3DS would be awesome. I'll start suggesting Sky3DS to users now.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New 3DS (Gateway team currently working on compatibility, unreleased as of now)
Meh we'll give up on that little bit of info xD
I just thought there had to be a way to add something other than "yet".

Great guide, I'm bookmarking this to send to newcomers. Looks very professional so far~

It actually unblinded me about Sky3DS and helped me not completely reject it. It IS a useful flashcard with it's downsides. Gateway has it's downsides too and it's mainly compatibility. For most people, Sky3DS would be awesome. I'll start suggesting Sky3DS to users now.

Yea that's the idea man, present the facts and let people make up their own mind. People get to skewed by having purchased one or the other (usually gw as it came first) and get blindsided to the alternative(s). That's why I stuck with facts and not faith. I mean I appreciate the faith both parties express but it has no value to newcomers who just want to get into the scene or buy a cart then never come back to the forum.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, appreciate the compliments. probably need a bit more criticism though. There's a lot more that could be added to this guide I think.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What I'm most open to is better titles for the thread. The concept here is to capture one-time users and newbies and end all opinionated debates about the cards which seems to have consumed this forum for too long. The real focus needs to be moving the scene forward not getting into a childish debate about who's card is better.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There are two variants of the Sky3DS
The original release which allows up to 10 ROMs to be used, however this tool provides a workaround.
The second revision which allows an unlimited number of ROMs to be cycled through by adding/removing them from the micro SD and will allow up to 31 ROMs to be stored on a single micro SD
The two versions can be identified by the color of the LED (blue for the newer card, red for the older) and most sites selling the Sky3DS will indicate which version it is.
I think you mean button :P

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You should also mention that the public headers Sky uses are getting people banned, as well that the only way to obtain a private header is to have an O3DS with a firmware of 9.2 and bellow. All in all a great guide! :lol:

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You should also mention that the public headers Sky uses are getting people banned, as well that the only way to obtain a private header is to have an O3DS with a firmware of 9.2 and bellow. All in all a great guide!
I've added a snippet about it in the online section for both cartridges, thanks.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not very good as the thread did, your suggest just refer to sky3ds and gateway 3ds , you should know users may have different choices which you didn't consider into.

Well, as apoptygma also wrote, all other cards are either clones of the Gateway or Sky3DS. There's also that thing (that many of us are still scared of) that not a long while ago team Gateway hid some bricking code inside their FW code with the intention to brick clone card users 3DS consoles. Clone cards usually use the same system software as (or a derivation of) the original cards, so the clone cards manufacturers didn't see that coming.

While I can understand that one may want to save a few $$$ or to have an obscure 'extra feature', I'd still advice against using clone cards. The price difference (at least in my country) is not that big either.

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
You should also mention that the public headers Sky uses are getting people banned, as well that the only way to obtain a private header is to have an O3DS with a firmware of 9.2 and bellow. All in all a great guide! :lol:

Can you elaborate on this please. What does O3DS stand for?

Thanks.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can you elaborate on this please. What does O3DS stand for?

Thanks.

Sure, O3DS stands for Original 3DS (not the new one). So the only way youre not getting banned with Sky by going online is for you to have a private header and to do that you need to have an O3DS with a firmware of 9.2 and bellow to be able to rip the game you want via the GW menu. If you have a Sky and dont want to game online youre good to go but if you do youll need an O3DS, and a retail game. All in all youll be spending extra money for safe online features.

Reactions: tekwarfare

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Reactions: tekwarfare

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended