Hacking Guide to installing + uninstalling YSmenu on the R4

BlaatAap

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the good explanation on how to get YSMenu up and running.
For me it didn't work out that well because every game I start results in white screens on both the top an bottom screens.
I have a DS (no lite or DSi) and have tried the tutorial serveral times and also using different DSTT versions. Nothing helps, so I hope someone can help me out.
Thanks.

*EDIT* I should read better because I just saw YSMenu won't run on SDHC's.

TIGERSHARK1999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello All, Question: i followed all the instructions and i have a somewhat working menu the only issues i have are that the backgrounds are oddly colored and the text and text boxes are nothing but big black boxes. now i have read thru the majority of this thread and a few others around the site, i have tried to change the background as well as the font colors and folder colors (as per the instructions in this thread) but nothing seems to change. I am a noob as far as this stuff goes so trying to understand all the differences in firmware and types of R4'S is a bit on the confusing side but i did manage to make this work to a degree. I have an R4 TOP (a clone i think) and i'm using an 8 gig microsd card on a regular DS ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ASSISTANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks for a great topic with plenty of info and sorry if i'm posting in the worng place.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
TIGERSHARK1999 said:
Hello All, Question: i followed all the instructions and i have a somewhat working menu the only issues i have are that the backgrounds are oddly colored and the text and text boxes are nothing but big black boxes. now i have read thru the majority of this thread and a few others around the site, i have tried to change the background as well as the font colors and folder colors (as per the instructions in this thread) but nothing seems to change. I am a noob as far as this stuff goes so trying to understand all the differences in firmware and types of R4'S is a bit on the confusing side but i did manage to make this work to a degree. I have an R4 TOP (a clone i think) and i'm using an 8 gig microsd card on a regular DS ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ASSISTANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks for a great topic with plenty of info and sorry if i'm posting in the worng place.
Are you clicking file then save?

TIGERSHARK1999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
triassic911 said:
TIGERSHARK1999 said:
Are you clicking file then save?

Yes, i tried using my own backgrounds and font colors with no succsess and then i tried using your backgrounds and color settings directly (cut and paste) and saved with both and i still get the colored lines for a background and black boxes for text and text boxes (really all i need is the text in a different color the rest i can handle, i just want to be able to read the file names and options lol). thanks for the prompt reply to my orig post
rolleyes.gif

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looking on dealextreme there is 20+ different R4 cards.

Exactly what clone cards will this work with?

I already got it working with my OG R4 card but i have family members who want one as well and since you can't find the original cards anymore all i can get them is a clone/knockoff.

TIGERSHARK1999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
triassic911 said:
What you can do is re-download ysmenu and extract the ysmenu.ini file and replace the one you have now. See if that one gives you any problems.

Tried that with the orig file and with another ysmenu.ini file from someone elses background, no change in screen style from when i started, here is a pic of the screen i am getting ds screen pic is there any other info i can give you to try and solve this as i would like to be able to use this menu
rolleyes.gif
thanks again for the help.

VenomTSH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
bluelaserman said:
R4 Clone Fix (R4III, R4.....)

For all R4 III and Clones, at Step 16 It states to change the YSMenu.nds to a _ds_menu.dat file,
Skip that step, and use YSMenu as a .nds file.
YSMenu will run as a secondary firmware, which plays all games.
The only reason I can give for it not working as a bootable firmware is that when its encrypted, it can play Mario, though once decrypted, it loses the ability to access the file properly.

In your sd root, you should have
TTMenu (Folder)
r4dldi.dat (dat file)
r4patch.dat (dat file)
r4tf.dldi (dldi file)
TTMenu.dat (dat file)
YSMenu.ini (Ini file)
YSMenu.nds (the nds file needed to run YSMenu)

Also, you will need to have your R4's Firmware, as the YSMenu will run as a secondary firmware (.nds file).

Put Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story in a game folder. Load your R4, locate the YSmenu.nds file and Have Fun
yaynds.gif
biggrin.gif

The way I found out the problem, was my brothers R4 (Original) was using the exact same files as my YSMenu, though, the only difference was the _ds_menu.dat file, Mine was the output.dat while his was the original _ds_menu.dat file. He was able to play Mario without fault, while mine produced a white screen at start-up. Though, running it as a .nds removes this problem.

This should work for any clone that runs YSmenu

Tried this and can't run any games, the bar goes to the end and then I always get:

QUOTE[Rom loading failed]
disk errcode=-81
Please reset system.

Any solutions?

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TC, thx SO much for this topic! Followed every step in detail and not a single issue. Great stuff!!!

Yarukinasu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay I got it to work on my R4SDHC using the firmware method!!! I still can't run some games, I don't know why and the ROMs are not corrupted or anything... Ahhhh maybe it's time to get CycloDS or Acekard haha.

chinook

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first post in over 2 years, to thank triassic for this great guide. I was sick of dealing with automatic guides, and the "Get M&L3 to work on your R4" guides, which always ended in failure.

Like the others, I followed the directions to a "T", and this one finally paid off. Thanks a ton! :)
gbasp.gif

Gaskie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm trying to follow these instructions on my R4i SDHC (1.4) card and when I turn it on I get stuck at a white screen that just says "Menu?".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong, or does this stuff not work on my card?
frown.gif

Ogyukos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm stuck on the loading screen >_<
I have everything from the "ysmenu" folder copied to the root of the sd card (YSMenu.ini, TTMENU.DAT, TTMENU {folder}, r4tf.dldi, _DS_MENU.DAT, r4patch.dat, r4dldi.dat)
I also put the systems folder, the moonshl folder, and the moonshell.nds back to the root. Using the r4 Upgrade

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Great job for the first page...

Just a question, what is about the "soft Reset" with YSMenu on a R4V2 (The original)?

I think the reset work with this file "ttreset.dat"

But nothing work, after the game stop, the "microSD with the smile from the DSTT kernel" appear et freeze!

Somebody have a modified "ttreset.dat" to have a soft reset okay?

joeyjamous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya I got a question...

So I installed the YSMenu and it's working fine, but when I want to launch _DS_MSHL.nds or whatever via the YSMenu, it says loading, then after that it freezes!!!
I really want to launch it so I can play jump ultimate stars!!! Thank you in advance

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
24. Now, we are done with all the downloading and editing! You are ready for ysmenu! HOWEVER, be sure to backup your original firmware files that are on your sd card to your computer before hand. Backup all your games and everything else as well.

25. Now we format your sd card. Format your sd card by going to my computer and right-clicking your sd card. Click "Format...".

post.
hey do you have to format your sd card? can't you just use that nds file that you deleted?

yosua95

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
sorry
but I got a problem at my NDS
when I use it to my NDS the screen only white and write
EROR:fatini and bla bla
then I dunno how can I fix it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far