Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the sucessor of modmii?
No. ModMii will always be first with the latest updates and new methods or ideas. Come to think of it, there is an update coming out in a week or less that will make spayrosam have to catch up again.
good use of foreshadowing. guess i'll have to wait and see what it's about :P

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm a little busy in real life ATM, so the ModMii update might take me a little longer than a week, but we'll see

And btw, this app's NOT the "successor" to ModMii, other than being partially inspired by ModMii, it's a totally separate project. "Successor" implies it's replacing ModMii, which is isn't. There are functions that ModMii can perform that this app cannot, and vice versa, and there is some overlap also. Spayrosam and I are are okay with the "competition", so everyone else should be too.

Reactions: 1 person

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little busy in real life ATM, so the ModMii update might take me a little longer than a week, but we'll see

And btw, this app's NOT the "successor" to ModMii, other than being partially inspired by ModMii, it's a totally separate project. "Successor" implies it's replacing ModMii, which is isn't. There are functions that ModMii can perform that this app cannot, and vice versa, and there is some overlap also. Spayrosam and I are are okay with the "competition", so everyone else should be too.
You guys shouldn't compete, it's the users choice ultimately.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You guys shouldn't compete, it's the users choice ultimately.
It's the users choice on if they want to buy a ford, kia, bmw, dodge etc... but all those companies compete.
This is homebrew, not a business. Except for one (you know what I'm talking about ;)), everything homebrew-related is free. There is no reason to compete.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm just curious... what's going on with the legalities behind this app? I'm not sure how much of it is true, but I'm hearing a lot of rumours, which leave me with a bunch of questions...

* I've heard you have a googlecode page that hosts copywritten or closed source things like the hackmii installer, mmm, and possibly nintendo files also... that's a big no-no. I can share with you how ModMii downloads the hackmii installer directly from the original source if you like.
* I also heard you're not willing to share your source, despite the fact that it uses GPL code (therefore making it GPL itself). Not only should you make your source easily available, but it should also be uploaded to google code svn since you're using google code, otherwise eventually they'll take down your entire project for that reason alone.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything. I had to go through similar GPL issues a long time ago when I was first getting started and people weren't nearly as nice about it to me as I'm being to you right now... so I encourage you to take my advice seriously before the problem escalates and others begin to get involved.

Also, I just quickly read your credits and thought it worth mentioning that there is no such thing as "Team BannerBomb" and "Team LetterBomb".
Check these pages out for clarification:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bannerbomb
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Letterbomb

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@[member='spayrosam']: Dunno if there are any legal issues with this, but I'm willing to help you sort this out. PM me if you are interested.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Well the rehosting of bannerbomb, HBC installer and other apps that shouldnt be there needs to be addressed. IOS seems like its ok as they are coming from Ninty's servers by the looks of it.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
There are almost 2000 files in this app's google code trunk:
http://tdown.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

And the file "HHB3" is really a zip-file\mirror of the hackmii installer v1.0. I haven't looked into it more than that, but dude, I think you have to seriously re-think the source of your downloads. As I said I haven't looked into it too deeply, but with almost 2000 files hosted there, I wouldn't be too surprised if you are hosting more files that you shouldn't be on google code. Another thing that bugs me (and a couple others who've spoken to me about this) is the fact you're trying to obscure the files by altering the filenames. No one is going to want to check every single one of your 2000 files especially when they're named so cryptically, so for that reason alone if I were google code I'd consider shutting down your project just because it's not worth the effort to investigate all those files with obscure names. And I said earlier, the simple fact that your source code isn't available on google code is enough of a reason for them to shut down your page... and if that happens all your 2000 files won't be accessible either, even if they happen to be innocent uploads.

Long story short, if you want to do things right, you should share your source code openly (on google code at a minimum), and make sure you're not hosting any copywritten or closed source material on your google code page (and no copywritten\closed-source files should come bundled with your app, if applicable). And any open source apps that you're hosting should also include the source. If you want to host\download closed source apps (like mmm), they can't be hosted on googlecode, but instead you can use hosts like filetrip or even dropbox but you shouldn't ever mirror copywritten files anywhere (i.e. hackmii installer or ninty files).

I'm not planning on continuing to bug you about this, so please don't get defensive or feel I'm picking on you. I'm just trying to provide you with the information you need to know to make your app GPL compliant. I'm not trying to make your life difficult, but I'm just trying to give you a friendly warning that if you don't make some changes, it's only a matter of time before your google code page gets shut-down. My google code page got shut down for less than 24 hours last July for much much much less, and it didn't take me very long to fix the mistakes I had made and get the page back up and running. In your case there a lot more issues and it might take a lot of time to fix them all, so I think you should start trying to fix them now instead of scrambling to fix it after google code takes action against you.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I on the other hand will make things hard for you. Google Code is a development resource, not a dumping ground. Get your shit off there within 24hrs or it will be reported.

spayrosam

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's the matter now?

You've cracked it!
What are you afraid of? (Modmii dead) (I do not need an extra link or Donate, I wrote SMA for each user not for Donate or http://www.linkbucks.com/)
To sum up, I can say that :
1 - Delete Base-wad
2 - Starts the task manager
3 - Starts SMA and download/generate any IOS/cIOS

The results: You'll see NUS.exe (task manager)

That's right, I have one other project (See source code "Name file =Main script.au3" (Themes download)) that means I can Host pics Thumbs and themes
My mistake: I've hosted MMM and Hackmii installer , I'll fix that, No problem!
@XFlak Relax.
@pepxl Beat it!

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Beat it??

Why exactly would i get a response like that, im not rehosting apps anywhere and perpusely obscuring files names to hide the fact.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
thought..... i did like i do with most homebrew people release, i like to see how things works, no need starting a flame war because you were caught in the act.

Simply fix your source links and all is peachy, no need thinking ModMii or any other similar app is out to get you because you have a GUI. ModMii and other homebrew had to comply with GPL so why shouldn't you, your not a special case where people will over look the fact.

Fix it, simple's or it will get reported by the people why really give a shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu