GTA V removed from Target Australia stores

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can kill men too, but hey everything is fine there, right? Women are obviously weak and can't defend themselves, so let's ban a game for shits and giggles. Maybe that will decrease domestic violence rates!

/s

SavvyTaco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you shitting my fuck? I'm so mad right now. It's just like that one anon said:
WgBSS58.png

Last_Seraph

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
One of the companies in New Zealand also recently removed R-18 games, movies, music and literature from shelves. While GTA V was the main culprit behind this decision, instead of removing just one game and monitoring any other R-18 content, the decision was just made to get rid of R-18 content altogether so the company can present a more 'family friendly' image. Here's a link for further reading.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/63487424/the-warehouse-to-pull-r18-games-dvds

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
You can kill men too, but hey everything is fine there, right? Women are obviously weak and can't defend themselves, so let's ban a game for shits and giggles. Maybe that will decrease domestic violence rates!

/s

But of course, it is sexist if it is only against women, who gives a shit about men getting killed! The mind of a feminist is a very weird place.

Reactions: heero01

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Games like this are grooming yet another generation of boys to tolerate violence against women

Erm...isn't GTA V a mature game? :unsure:

I also put question marks on roughly a dozen other things mentioned in the poll, but I haven't played the game myself so can't really comment on it.

What I want to know from target is the following: they mention it's CUSTOMERS who have concerns with the game's content. So exactly how many people (adults, mind you, as children aren't allowed to play it) returned their copy stating that it didn't contain the content they thought they were going to get?

Reactions: netnerd

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has i would say.

Good day MATE!!

and also this sucks for people living there.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get over it clown. Target is a private business and as such they have the right to carry or not carry any product they want. As a manager of a retail store I had to make these types of calls all the time and no books were ever harmed in the process.

Target has the right to act stupidly, true, but we have the right to be able call them out on their stupidity. If you pulled things from the shelves just because a few assholes complained, well, you're part of the problem, not the solution.

einstein95

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
One of the companies in New Zealand also recently removed R-18 games, movies, music and literature from shelves. While GTA V was the main culprit behind this decision, instead of removing just one game and monitoring any other R-18 content, the decision was just made to get rid of R-18 content altogether so the company can present a more 'family friendly' image. Here's a link for further reading.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/63487424/the-warehouse-to-pull-r18-games-dvds
I was just browsing this thread wondering if someone would bring that up. Oh well, we still have EB Games, JB Hi-Fi and Dick Smith at least.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
So what do we learn from this?
Violence against men is o.k, but violence against woman is not o.k.
This concept is called gender equality.

They call this "benevolent sexism". "Benevolent racism" exists as well.
Some people do in fact, unironically, advocate for racism/sexism (or sometimes plain hate towards anyone not agreeing with them) as a means for "(social) justice" and fixing "injustices". It's sickeningly close to what a certain nation around WW2 did towards people of some religions, or even eastern European "impure" ethnicities, as a mean to fix a hypothetical "privilege" they had over the population by the sole virtue of being of said group, regardless of economical status or basic human individuality.

Ah, the good old mantra "i don't like this, it shouldn't exist". Or how they immediately after campaigning so hard to get games like GTA and Dragon Crown and Bayonetta (as well as Mario/Zelda with "problematic" princess representations) come to the defensive "the ban is the natural thing to do." "their own decision" "this is freedom"
Except the difference here is the so-called videogame journalism is heading the charge against the entertainment medium, and no longer Jack Thompson.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So... they make a new rating so Australia can get graphic video games but still protect their children from accessing them but then just pull games of that rating anyway?

Seems a bit... useless?

I mean I don't think we should be selling GTA V at Toys R Us but there's a rating in place to ensure as a consumer you know what the game contains.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... they make a new rating so Australia can get graphic video games but still protect their children from accessing them but then just pull games of that rating anyway?

Seems a bit... useless?

I mean I don't think we should be selling GTA V at Toys R Us but there's a rating in place to ensure as a consumer you know what the game contains.
Why not?
They have a lot of stuff at TRU that I personally won't say is for kids (family guy DVDs, robot chicken figures, m rated games and etc.)

Last_Seraph

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

Seems a bit... useless?

Note that New Zealand and Australia have a different rating system. I'm a bit bitter at Marvelous EU over this, but that's on another issue altogether. It's a pretty rare occurrence when a game gets pulled off the shelves here. But I think complaints wouldn't be happening if some parents were responsible enough to monitor what they buy for their children and what they're playing. Working in the company featured in the stuff.co.nz link I posted earlier, companies can face a hefty fine if you're caught selling games to people under the restricted age and I'd rather not risk my job over selling GTAV to 13 year old little Timmy.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

I'm not familiar with "The Warehouse" (I assume that's the brand name). Is that a local toy store or warehouse, specifically aimed at kids? (sort of the local equivalent of Toys 'R us in the US, or Bart Smit here in Belgium)

If so...I can understand that store clerks are fed up that parents continue to think that games are for kids and learn the fallacy of that thought the hard way. But if they sell stuff for grown-ups, they should really consider getting a different rayon for adult games*. The average age of computer gamers is increasing, so it's more future-proof...

*the stupid thing is that currently "adult games" refer to games that are about sexuality, rather than it being actually dealing with mature content (among which sexuality).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated