GTA V removed from Target Australia stores

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    GTA V.jpg
    2005 called, they wanted to remind us that they ain't no hollaback girl. Also, they want their moral panic back.

:arrow:Target.com.au

And here is the petition that seems to have spurred this action:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    "They don't gotta burn the books, they just remove 'em," indeed. This is some real bullshit on parade, especially considering the fact that the stores stocked the game for well over a year. Beyond that, Australia already has an R rating equivalent for games with graphic content, so it's not as if this is being sold to lil' Mikeys left and right. If people don't want to buy the game, awesome, but to refuse to sell it altogether? Crikey, mate.

At least the petition's good for a laugh.

heero01 likes this.
  2. purupuru

purupuru GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    Get over it clown. Target is a private business and as such they have the right to carry or not carry any product they want. As a manager of a retail store I had to make these types of calls all the time and no books were ever harmed in the process.

Margen67, netnerd and minexew like this.
  3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I thought 2005 was about the general violence in the game, not violence against women specifically.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Meh. So Target loses a little business, not much harm in it other than some whiny mothers get to feel good I guess. With digital distribution and online shopping nowadays, this won't affect jack.

Margen67, netnerd and minexew like this.
  5. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Of course they're a private business, but a company being pressured into removing a game (or movie, book, etc.) over false outrage is still, you know, concerning. GTA V is a big game, it'll be fine, but it sets a bad precedent; the next developer might not be so large or capable of weathering through.

If as many people opposed the game as the petition claims, then they could simply refuse to buy the game and the market would take care of the problem. Instead, they want to dictate what other adults spend their money on over claims that are simply false or, at best, extremely misleading. I don't know about you, but I find that objectionable.

Also, where did I say books were harmed? I think you misread my Bulls on Parade joke.

Eh, tomato, tomahto.

GHANMI, Margen67, darkvam and 3 others like this.
  6. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    INB4 every major retail outlet in Australia follows suit, leading to a nationwide ban of the game.

7. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    One of those complaints has merit (very little, but some nonetheless), the other is hypocritical bullshit.

Gahars likes this.
  8. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    "It's a game that encourages players to murder women for entertainment."

It's a game that encourages players to murder everything for entertainment. That's been a common theme for every single GTA game up till this point. This is why nobody takes social justice warriors seriously.

TyBlood13, GHANMI, Margen67 and 5 others like this.
  9. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Solution : GTA VI : Social Warrior's Revenge.

10. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    timbuk2, kamtucky
    I can't wait to get a copy just so I can kill people for fun!
    I mean, enjoy my video game...

P.S. Don't tell my mom.

Catastrophic likes this.
  11. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Honestly here is my problem with acts like thus. They act like video games are making people violent while not considering other media. For example sure GTA has stuff that's not OK in real life but so does movies (Godfather which is considered one of the greatest movies ever is also extremely violent) music (listen to rap you hear the b word, n word and often lyrics with violence) and books (Stepehen King anyone) yet many people is the media and what not act like video games are the only form of media that has violence when in fact its been around forever in other types of media.

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    And movies and TV shows and books and music and the internet have all gotten the same treatment and have survived. Video games are just the new scapegoat when all the rest failed. Next it'll be all about those dirty "brain wave transmission units!" and whatever other technology people want to blame their problems on.

Margen67 and migles like this.
  13. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    Kmart has now followed and pulled it too.

Rip australia. We're not mature enough for that R18 rating we fought years to get ;-;

GHANMI, Margen67, porkiewpyne and 5 others like this.
  14. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Not sure about new as people in politics and the media have stated that video games caused people to become sociopathes ever since Columbine

Also forgot Australia is pretty bad bout censorship of games think the censored

South park stick of truth

Left for dead

Overkill

And many other games

Margen67 and netnerd like this.
  15. BlackKnight666

BlackKnight666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2014
    LOL. Excuse my language, but this is just fucking stupid. Where abouts in the game does it tell you to go out on the street and beat the crap out of women? Nowhere? That's what i thought.

Margen67 and NakedFaerie like this.
  16. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    timbuk2, kamtucky

I guess identification cards, the ESRB rating system AND parenting aren't good enough these days.
    Such a shame and a waste. Tsk-tsk-tsk!

Margen67 likes this.
  17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    We should inform Australia that there are many, many games with freedom of choice. It's not even graphic in GTA. In Fallout 3 you can blow a chicks head off and teabag the headless corpse while doing copious amounts of drugs. Bit worse than GTA i'd say.

On second thought lets not tell Australia.

Either way importing and digital purchases basically just mean the stores are losing sales for basically no reason. Their loss honestly.

Margen67, NakedFaerie and netnerd like this.
  18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Australia removed a GTA game? I'm sooooooo shocked

Margen67 and Kippykip like this.
  19. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    That reminds me: in New Vegas, I got the first chick who gives you quests out in the middle of nowhere, chopped off her dog's head with a machete, then met her violent response by chopping off her head with the same machete and teabagging the corpse. This is why I can't play games like this.

20. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Australia does not have explicit freedom of speech in any constitutional or statutory declaration of rights, with the exception of political speech which is protected from criminal prosecution at common law per Australian Capital Television Pty Ltd v Commonwealth.