biggrin.gif

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
Considering the modeling the system can do I'd expect a block or two draw distance Liberty City but scaled down some, fewer people on the street (no mobs), and some cars. The system can do things like PSX and N64 could so it's possible to create a pretty large place with a ton of moving lower polygon objects...draw distance vs frame rate will be the ultimate issue.
Well both PSX and N64 could push more polygons so dunno. I'm still doubtful the DS can handle a 3rd person decent looking GTA game. Also I think it's Rockstar's first go at the DS so they may even make some mistakes
biggrin.gif

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know how true this is but someone posted this picture on another forum, they say it’s the early screen shot of GTA Chinatown Wars zoomed-in.

126471_full.jpg

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sc4rFac3d said:
Thats driver 2 from GBA

And yet it's probably a good example of just what can be done on the DS. That right there ain't too shabby for the GBA, so I think there are plenty of possibilities for the DS. Whether or not this is R*'s first game on the DS, the system's been around for a while.

Personally, more than anything else I'd like to know about this game, though, is just what kind of freedom the development team has been given, both financially and with respect to a time frame.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's GTA, it's going to suck no matter what the graphics are like.

The series only became popular because some preteens thought "OMG I can get laid and kill cops."

Truliche

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
irpacynot said:
Truliche said:
With a name like Chinatown Wars it seems like the game will be focused on a gimmick...

Can't say I follow your train of thought. What possible gimmick could hinge on the name "Chinatown Wars"?

Well, maybe gimmick was not the proper word, I meant to say the game will probably be focused on a different gameplay mechanic that works better for the technical capabilities of the DS.

Every other GTA game has had a subtitle about the city it's placed in or something like GTA Advance or Vice City Stories, the fact the subtitle is Chinatown Wars seems to suggest the game will have a different mechanic as a whole than previous GTA games.

I don't want this to be a watered down GTA to fit the DS, I just want this to be a fun game.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know if you think that Driver 2 shot on GBA is fantastic you should take a look into Driver 3.

s20805_gba_1.jpg

s20805_gba_3.jpg

s20805_gba_4.jpg

s20805_gba_5.jpg

Driver 3 there shows a fully 3D rendered city, multiple cars on screen, low poly 3D people as well...and I recall it ran at a modestly ok framerate too. Now keep in mind if you just want to be lame about 'mhz' and all that crap...the DS has the GBA 16mhz chip double clocked, and then a master more complex(somewhat) 66mhz chip too as a primary, and a notably larger memory footprint too.

I think the DS could handle a 3D 3rd person form of GTA.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ferrariman said:
Worst case scenario: China Town is as big As Chinatown in GTA3.
LOL! That was like, one street?
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(m3rox @ Jul 27 2008, 01:24 AM) It's GTA, it's going to suck no matter what the graphics are like.

The series only became popular because some preteens thought "OMG I can get laid and kill cops."
blink.gif

The GTA series are some of the most intelligent games around. While that says a lot about the state of the games industry, they are still very good satire. I think you overestimate the stupidity of other people while underestimating your own.

Since this has been developed alongside GTA IV, it'll probably use a chinatown that is consistent with the one in the new Liberty City. Chinatown was way underused in GTA IV and I guess the reason is that this game will fill it with life.

I really wonder about technology and gameplay. Pocketeers had some awesome tech demos that proved the realistic possibility of a simple 3D GTA on the GBA. While GTA 3 graphics are not quite achievable, the DS should still easily handle a 3D GTA game. The main problem IMO is screen resolution: It can be hard to recognize street corners clearly in the distance which was the main problem of the GBA Need for Speed games (also by Pocketeers). The talk of "3D elements" sounds like top down GTA 1 style. Payback proved on the GBA that this can look good as well as play intuitively with a rotating camera following the players direction and making the game more accessible than the somewhat difficult to control GTA 1. I could also imagine a sort of hybrid between the two possibilities: Far enough away and high enough that you can make out the street layout clearly but also somewhat tilted so that you are clearly looking into one direction. While cars and houses would have to be 3D, people, trees and simple objects would probably work better as 2D sprites. Shooting would probably work best through touchscreen tapping in this perspective.

However it will turn out, I'm pretty sure that Rockstar took this game seriously and we can thus rely on it being pretty good. They already took the GBA version pretty seriously but technological problems as well as time constraints limited that game. With this game being promoted so much by Nintendo, I guess it'll be awesome.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truliche said:
...the subtitle is Chinatown Wars seems to suggest the game will have a different mechanic as a whole than previous GTA games.

I don't want this to be a watered down GTA to fit the DS, I just want this to be a fun game.

Hmm...I see. Well, I would expect it to be at least a somewhat watered-down GTA experience. I also hope they do opt for a unique mechanic, one that works on the DS particularly well -- hopefully full touch-screen control, ala Phantom Hourglass. Either that, or going with the Bros. In Arms DS approach; basically FPS controls from a third-person perspective. That might work really well.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Vampire Hunter D said:
You know if you think that Driver 2 shot on GBA is fantastic you should take a look into Driver 3.

s20805_gba_1.jpg

s20805_gba_3.jpg

s20805_gba_4.jpg

s20805_gba_5.jpg

Driver 3 there shows a fully 3D rendered city, multiple cars on screen, low poly 3D people as well...and I recall it ran at a modestly ok framerate too. Now keep in mind if you just want to be lame about 'mhz' and all that crap...the DS has the GBA 16mhz chip double clocked, and then a master more complex(somewhat) 66mhz chip too as a primary, and a notably larger memory footprint too.

I think the DS could handle a 3D 3rd person form of GTA.

but still, NDS can't play GBA games without expansion memory. I hope GTA doesn't need an Expansion Memory, as I can't afford to buy one
frown.gif

Till this day I can't understand why the built in memory of NDS isn't enough to run GBA games
mellow.gif
anybody can tell me?

P.S: that Driver 3, it's form GBA, yes? I think GTA will be alot better than it, or at least, I hope
smile.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Raestloz said:
but still, NDS can't play GBA games without expansion memory. I hope GTA doesn't need an Expansion Memory, as I can't afford to buy one
frown.gif

Till this day I can't understand why the built in memory of NDS isn't enough to run GBA games
mellow.gif
anybody can tell me?

P.S: that Driver 3, it's form GBA, yes? I think GTA will be alot better than it, or at least, I hope
smile.gif

Huh? No it doesn't. The DS doesn't need any extra memory to play GBA games.

GBA games just don't work from Slot-1 because the hardware needed is in Slot-2, iirc.

Rokamunky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys, i am very new to GBATemp. This is my very first post to be precise!

I am also very new to the DS scene. I didnt realise that GTA was coming the way of the DS at all. Can anyone tell me when it is going to be released? I can honestly say that i have been a fan of the GTA series since the first one (god i remember sat in front of my computer late into the night playing on that top down thinking how cool it was!). I got to say though, i am now very excited about the prospect of playing GTA on the DS with my mates how cool!

Well any news will be good news as far as i am concerned!

Cheers R

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rokamunky said:
Hi guys, i am very new to GBATemp. This is my very first post to be precise!

I am also very new to the DS scene. I didnt realise that GTA was coming the way of the DS at all. Can anyone tell me when it is going to be released? I can honestly say that i have been a fan of the GTA series since the first one (god i remember sat in front of my computer late into the night playing on that top down thinking how cool it was!). I got to say though, i am now very excited about the prospect of playing GTA on the DS with my mates how cool!

Well any news will be good news as far as i am concerned!

Cheers R
according to their website
http://www.rockstargames.com/chinatownwars/
its supposed to come out
this winter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...