Gaming Graphical Improvments on DSi

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does anybody know if there are any graphical improvements on the new DSi? Also do the cartridges have bigger space than the DS ones? I didn't see any graphic changes on the DSi trailer....

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
there are no graphical improvements. the screen is just SLIGHTLY larger.

Which, when you think about it, might actually make the graphics appear worse. Since the fidelity of the DS is already so limited, blowing that up a bit probably will only help to highlight this fact. Of course, we're talking about a very minor expansion in the screen(s) size.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
irpacynot said:
da_head said:

Which, when you think about it, might actually make the graphics appear worse. Since the fidelity of the DS is already so limited, blowing that up a bit probably will only help to highlight this fact. Of course, we're talking about a very minor expansion in the screen(s) size.

yep, forgot to mention that.

pikachugalaxy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
da_head said:

true, but Im sure slightly bigger isnt a major putdown...nonetheless, im sticking with my dslite

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CRAP!!! I hoped that the new DS had better graphics
frown.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:
CRAP!!! I hoped that the new DS had better graphics
frown.gif

As did we all. But here's the thing: the DSi isn't really a new DS, at least it's not a next-gen DS. It's just another repackaging of the system with some add-ons. It looks to be a very desirable system...if you don't already own a DS. For the rest of us (at least, I speak for myself here when I say...), though, it's just more money we need to throw at Nintendo for no good reason.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:
Well I enjoy my DS as it is but I think it would attract more players if it had better graphics...

They can't really make it have better graphics without alienating people with other models. It's really not possible to have games that run on both old and new DSes but look better on one. If they were making a new system this would be a relevant issue, but it's just an upgrade to their existing platform. Nobody expects to have better graphics on a DS Lite over a Phat, a GBA SP over an original, etc.

irpacynot said:
QUOTE(Gullwing @ Oct 12 2008, 03:26 PM) CRAP!!! I hoped that the new DS had better graphics
frown.gif

As did we all. But here's the thing: the DSi isn't really a new DS, at least it's not a next-gen DS. It's just another repackaging of the system with some add-ons. It looks to be a very desirable system...if you don't already own a DS. For the rest of us (at least, I speak for myself here when I say...), though, it's just more money we need to throw at Nintendo for no good reason.

Exactly.

Zamo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dmonkey21 said:
Gullwing said:
Well I enjoy my DS as it is but I think it would attract more players if it had better graphics...

They can't really make it have better graphics without alienating people with other models. It's really not possible to have games that run on both old and new DSes but look better on one. If they were making a new system this would be a relevant issue, but it's just an upgrade to their existing platform. Nobody expects to have better graphics on a DS Lite over a Phat, a GBA SP over an original, etc.

Like dmonkey said, the DS cannot improve on it's graphics while still being a DS. Maybe the DS 2 or whatever will have an improvement.

Fraesh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
guys, think about it please...
watch the grand brother of the ds, the computer!
there are computers with diffrent graphics that all play the same games, more or less good...
what about games with adjustable graphics, hm?
options -> DS/Lite - DSi
so it actually IS possible then techincal way but i dont think nintendo will do ;P

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Fraesh said:
there are computers with diffrent graphics that all play the same games, more or less good...
options -> DS/Lite - DSi
so it actually IS possible then techincal way but i dont think nintendo will do ;P

wtf u talkin about?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
da_head said:
Fraesh said:
options -> DS/Lite - DSi

wtf u talkin about?

He's talking about something that wouldn't work at all.

Or put simply, I think he's trying to say that games should have a "DS Mode" and a "DSi mode" if the DSi were to have better graphics.

The cart would have two sets of the game on it, say one has higher resolution textures, and it would detect whether it's being run on a "DS" or a "DSi" and choose which set, low-res or high-res, of textures to use.

It wouldn't work though. The idea is just stupid.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I agree that the DSi won't have improved graphics, that doesn't HAVE to be the case.

For example, the DSi will have DSi ONLY software. Maybe my facts are wrong, but it appears that games for the DSi ONLY will be not only the downloadable ones(which would be a given), but games on cartridges as well. Games branded as just DS would not have improved graphics, but if there's going to be DSi ONLY games, they could've just as easily made the DSi more powerful for use with its own games. In fact, while maybe not graphically enhanced, the DSi does have more RAM, which I'm sure DSi only games will take advantage of.

The DSi is a bit of a gameboy to gameboy color step. The gameboy color had its own software, but many of them, including pokemon gold and silver, would still work on an old gameboy. However there were games ONLY compatible with the gameboy color as well.

But again, I don't believe that the DSi will have improved graphics over the regular DS.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fraesh said:
options -> DS/Lite - DSi

No offense, but you sound like you have no clue what you are saying XD

Technically, yes games could be written to have better graphics on a certain DS while still playable on older versions. However, this would mean that the new DS would have to have new hardware, meaning that the process of making the game would have to be completely different for the 2 versions. Right now, people make games with the limits of the DS in mind, and putting new hardware into the DSi would essentially make it a new system all together, making the whole process redundant, because it would just be like making 2 versions of the game, like they do already. (eg. COD 4 for the DS, 360, PS3)

P

pasc

Law said:
da_head said:
Fraesh said:
options -> DS/Lite - DSi

wtf u talkin about?

He's talking about something that wouldn't work at all.

Or put simply, I think he's trying to say that games should have a "DS Mode" and a "DSi mode" if the DSi were to have better graphics.

The cart would have two sets of the game on it, say one has higher resolution textures, and it would detect whether it's being run on a "DS" or a "DSi" and choose which set, low-res or high-res, of textures to use.

It wouldn't work though. The idea is just stupid.

the idea may be stupid, yeah, but on the other hand, there were some n64 games which worked on the n64 just fine, but could be improbed by adding a ram pack to it...

Fraesh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ehm,... i only said it IS possible, true its rubbish i know but it IS possible thats what i wanted to say cause some said it was impossible.. also i think i know what im talking of... and you dont need to make 2 complete deiffrent games if you just increase texture detail or have better player models :/

EDIT: brr too late for thinking! i think i got it now, you mean you have to make the games hardware compatible with DSi hmm yes sure you would have to but it would be much easier to make both in one card cause you could use the same engine, like i said increasing texture detail and replacing models with higher quality one would make it much better, you dont have to code new shaders etc... also think about production costs, 2 ds cards cost twice ;P one more point for my theory xD

PS: LP FTW!

scoozer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The biggest letdown for me was the Batterytime. It has less battery time as the DS, so WTF? For me the main point of a handheld is the batterytime and how long you can play it with one charge (wihout carrying accus). So id think about a buy if the batterytime would be the same as the DSLite... now the accu is smaller...

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
scoozer said:
The biggest letdown for me was the Batterytime. It has less battery time as the DS, so WTF? For me the main point of a handheld is the batterytime and how long you can play it with one charge (wihout carrying accus). So id think about a buy if the batterytime would be the same as the DSLite... now the accu is smaller...

well less battery is kinda expected. its has more ram, two cameras, one more mic, bigger screens, and better speakers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy