Hacking GPU handheld mode overclock (soon) available

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That was actually plan B if I gave up on the service. Having a list/config file with title ids to check and turn it on and off for. The service is already written and working better than I thought it would though.

Will it be possible to have a different performance profile for each game? Thats can be great not just for overclock, but also to underclock on games with low requirements.

Reactions: orangpelupa

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The power regulator chip in the Switch can't take all that much, remember what the Nyko docks did? I would be very careful about pushing more power than the official solutions put out.
It is physically impossible to "push more power than the official solutions", the Switch is a load like any other and it will only pass as much current as it needs to operate. It already operates perfectly fine when docked, there is no reason why it couldn't operate at the same parameters when not docked, especially with an AC adapter present. You're running a relatively small risk of overloading the battery if the load is higher than than its current carrying capacity, but the X1 maxes out at 15W. The internal battery is marked as 3.7V nominal (so it's probably 4.2V peak, but it might be lower for the purpose of extending battery cycles) and 4310mAh, so assuming it's a bog standard lithium ion battery, it can deliver 1C or more, which translates to 4.31A*3.7V=15.9W at the bare minimum, possibly much more. The cells I use are perfectly happy delivering 10C, I have no reason to suspect that Nintendo used cells that are well below industry standards.

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just know I will forget to turn it off on games that don't get any benefit or forget to turn it on

Forgot to add. Thanks for all your hard work
You do realize you'll be able to open the homebrew launcher/clock changing NRO from the album and change clock speeds without needing to close the game, right?

chippy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You do realize you'll be able to open the homebrew launcher/clock changing NRO from the album and change clock speeds without needing to close the game, right?
Yeah but I would forget to turn it off or think it's on when it's not.
Very forgetful you see with little things like that

SENSENuii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, if everyone is fine with a WIP release you still need to turn off before putting the system to sleep, I'm willing to do it. Other than that, it's working fine. It's the only thing making me hesitant to release it now.

I am cool with a WIP release.

GamingAori

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, if everyone is fine with a WIP release you still need to turn off before putting the system to sleep, I'm willing to do it. Other than that, it's working fine. It's the only thing making me hesitant to release it now.
With turn off you mean just change to normal clock speed? But yeah I also would be interested

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With turn off you mean just change to normal clock speed? But yeah I also would be interested
I mean opening an NRO/possibly NSP and telling the service to stop controlling the clock speeds and allowing the system to do it. There is a dedicated "on/off" line printed in the NRO for this. I got the service sending replies/info Sunday and have been taking a break. You won't have to guess like the people testing it are.

Also, this isn't just for "overclocking." It also allows downclocking to save battery. Useful for emulators that don't require much. Also fun to play with:

Manurocker95

Game Developer & Pokémon Master
Trophies
Website
manuelrodriguezmatesanz.com
XP
Country
Spain
I played Wolfenstein II last year (I really loved it) and what I complained about it was not the 540p resolution on Hand-held but that awful blur effect Panic Button set to the camera for having a better performance. This blur doesn’t appear in dock mode so those that have tried this, does that blur effect persists? What about the framerate?

Last edited by Manurocker95,

luisvaljun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trabajosin always games?? I test mario odissey and motogp and mario kart ..i press zr and stick ...no changes effect.sorry my english

Xebastron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've also tested clockmod.zip and I've noticed a lot of improvement in the V-Rally game, @JK_ do you have any more current version? and thank you for this work so good :)

Last edited by Xebastron,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth: