Jutsch80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I'm running my Switch on the latest Firmware and Atmosphere and I'm having an issue I didn't notice on earlier firmwares.

Most games I run with a significant OC on the GPU, to increase either frame rate or resolution. And on some games it doesn't seem to work. With Crysis for example it works like a charm. CPU at 1428MHz and GPU at 768MHz, fan goes up to 90% but it can hold temps and clocks.

On other GPU heavy games like Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein II it sometimes just can't hold the GPU OC and drops even below the standard clock for the games (which is 460Mhz), down to 384MHz. And the weirdest thing is, that the fan doesn't even try to ramp up high. So it doesn't seem like a thermal issue. It's also not a power delivery issue. As I said it can hold the OC on some games and I'm running off of a 30W power supply.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and knows a solution?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doom and Wolfenstein in particular are very aggressive about setting the clocks dynamically. Its possible whatever version of overclocking software is having trouble overwriting them.

Reactions: Jutsch80

Jutsch80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank's for letting me know, altho I feel like it used to be better. Is it somehow possible to make the game switch to docked mode even when it comes to clock speeds? Then the games would be fine with 768MHz. I'm aware the game settings can be changed to docked while in handheld, but can that also be changed with having the clockspeeds in mind?

Edit: Tried forcing game and console into docked mode, and so far Wolfenstein II seems to hold the GPU OC

Last edited by Jutsch80,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank's for letting me know, altho I feel like it used to be better. Is it somehow possible to make the game switch to docked mode even when it comes to clock speeds? Then the games would be fine with 768MHz. I'm aware the game settings can be changed to docked while in handheld, but can that also be changed with having the clockspeeds in mind?

Edit: Tried forcing game and console into docked mode, and so far Wolfenstein II seems to hold the GPU OC
What are you currently using to overclock?

Cooler3D

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
CPU at 1428MHz and GPU at 768MHz, fan goes up to 90% but it can hold temps and clocks

Is your issue still relevant? ERISTA?
At such frequencies, you, most likely, not only will not encounter overheating, but you will even be able to play without an external power source, with using 4IFIR for OC.

Cooler3D

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Please don't start bumping every ancient thread related to overclocking :rofl2:

The thread surfaced in my recommendations from the "Similar threads" list, so I got here. When I realized that I was doing necroposting, it was already too late :)

In any case, there are still no other software solutions to this problem, and until recently there was not even this one. It is quite possible that other owners of ERISTA who experience a problem with overheating during overclocking will find this information useful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==