Gotham Knights release pushed to 2022

bats.JPG

Gotham Knights, the latest game to use the Batman license, was revealed last August by WB Montreal with a 2021 release date. Today however, the company announced that they will be delaying its release to 2022 so as to "deliver the best possible experience for players".

:arrow: SOURCE

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I'm looking forward to this, but I feel like they've peaked with Arkham Knight in terms of the gameplay itself. Now if only the game wasn't trying to have the Batmobile do everything...
I’m more curious to see how they approach it as an RPG with characters that each have different skillsets. It’s not trying to have Arkham combat, which I think will anger a lot of people expecting that. Maybe they’re delaying it to make the gameplay more in line with what the people want, even.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m more curious to see how they approach it as an RPG with characters that each have different skillsets. It’s not trying to have Arkham combat, which I think will anger a lot of people expecting that. Maybe they’re delaying it to make the gameplay more in line with what the people want, even.

Wait, there's RPG elements? Like levels, strength, constitution, agility, luck, BatCoins, etc. as opposed to the experience points to just update the characters' combat, predator, and um...Batmobile skills?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know it's a bit unrelated, but we're still talking about Batman here. Anyway, talking about bats, I had one flying around in my apartment the other day. It freaked me out! How did it get in? All my windows are still closed (winter, you know... still cold outside) I had to leave for work, so I couldn't try to get it immediately. Now it seems to be gone. It probably died in some hidden place. First time in my life I saw a bat so close.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I know it's a bit unrelated, but we're still talking about Batman here. Anyway, talking about bats, I had one flying around in my apartment the other day. It freaked me out! How did it get in? All my windows are still closed (winter, you know... still cold outside) I had to leave for work, so I couldn't try to get it immediately. Now it seems to be gone. It probably died in some hidden place. First time in my life I saw a bat so close.
This is the only good post in this topic.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, there's RPG elements? Like levels, strength, constitution, agility, luck, BatCoins, etc. as opposed to the experience points to just update the characters' combat, predator, and um...Batmobile skills?
Skill trees, armor and weapons, level ups, etc were all discussed in last year’s faux E3. Iirc certain damage types are in the game as well.

It seemed like a The Division 2 kinda style game but with action combat and Batman characters...which is like a dream game, to me. I like Batman, but my favorite characters have always been the Robins; Jason Todd is one of my favorite characters and while he had a huge focus in Arkham Knight, it’s just not the same as being able to play as him. And finally we get Tim Drake Robin and he won’t be a middle aged school teacher. YAY!

This is the first time in a while where I’ve just WANTED so hard for a AAA game to be good. All the years of covering news has taught me to never pre order, never expect promises in trailers, but gosh dang. I can’t not want this. Pls WB maek gud gaem plz.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skill trees, armor and weapons, level ups, etc were all discussed in last year’s faux E3. Iirc certain damage types are in the game as well.

It seemed like a The Division 2 kinda style game but with action combat and Batman characters...which is like a dream game, to me. I like Batman, but my favorite characters have always been the Robins; Jason Todd is one of my favorite characters and while he had a huge focus in Arkham Knight, it’s just not the same as being able to play as him. And finally we get Tim Drake Robin and he won’t be a middle aged school teacher. YAY!

This is the first time in a while where I’ve just WANTED so hard for a AAA game to be good. All the years of covering news has taught me to never pre order, never expect promises in trailers, but gosh dang. I can’t not want this. Pls WB maek gud gaem plz.

Huh. Couldn't Batman use the baseball bat for a bit iirc in Arkham Knight? If not Arkham City?

*Arkham Knight PC port rage noises*

Was that port done by High Voltage Studios initially like MKX was?

Still, I'll take playing as Edge Hood for more than 20 minutes and a boss fight so easy that I had Black Mask (or his body double iirc?) in the corner with me countering every goon that came in before I continued my Touch of Death combo.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of hate that they didn't keep this game in the universe they already have. I know it gives the developers more freedom to make something new but its just going to feel off as it has a similar playstyle other than the leveling system.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The bat knows something you don't. Better not let your parents attend any fancy theater productions for a while.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Arkham Knight with character switching mods and even more RPG elements except if they made an actual, professionally made game around said concepts.
I dunno; I found Arkham Knight to be quite good. The mook variety was great, upgrades were cool, and gliding around was significantly faster than in Arkham City. As for separating villains into their own side-missions, I actually liked that since everyone had their own moment in the spotlight, without anyone else interfering.

I do wish more of the meh story could be skipped, but oh well. Definitely my second-favourite Arkham Game, below Asylum.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno; I found Arkham Knight to be quite good. The mook variety was great, upgrades were cool, and gliding around was significantly faster than in Arkham City. As for separating villains into their own side-missions, I actually liked that since everyone had their own moment in the spotlight, without anyone else interfering.

I do wish more of the meh story could be skipped, but oh well. Definitely my second-favourite Arkham Game, below Asylum.

I agree with you about everything regarding the gameplay. It's the story you mentioned that I found to be a bit underwhelming. Especially the Arkham Knight fight himself. I think if there was a face-to-face fight after the predator part of that last fight that served as a final test of sorts before the finale with Scarecrow, the finale might not had felt like something was missing.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I agree with you about everything regarding the gameplay. It's the story you mentioned that I found to be a bit underwhelming. Especially the Arkham Knight fight himself. I think if there was a face-to-face fight after the predator part of that last fight that served as a final test of sorts before the finale with Scarecrow, the finale might not had felt like something was missing.
Not really what I was thinking, but sure. I meant that some story bits aren't necessarily 'cutscenes', so they can't be skipped - I haven't played the game in a long while, but I remember the ending of the blimp where Joker takes over not being skippable, it takes forever, and just isn't fun.

Also, Batman locking Robin in a treatment pod - it's nice that there's a few Easter Eggs when you go into the pod yourself (and a hallucinatory Joker appears to let you out), but there's only a handful of them, gets old, and locking Robin in there is just dumb and directly leads to Knightfall. Oooops; what a moron.
Oh, and not checking to see if Barbara really did get gassed, or if it was just another hallucination or Clayface or something - which leads to Gordon abandoning Bruce and the Robin fallout.
And not deleting Gordon's voiceprint for that "secret" base bit him in the arse too. I mean, it already lost its security once Harley Quinn discovered it and the Joker-fied people took over. Delete the voiceprint and find another secret location, Bruce, duh.

Gameplay's the best of the trilogy (screw Origins), but the story should be entirely skippable. A one-and-done deal, the narrative is; getting access to the gameplay shouldn't suffer because of it.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Still kind of disappointed that this isn't Batman Beyond.
True dat - Terry needs more love. His cartoon was a compelling departure from the somewhat-stale regular band of foes and setting, pitting a new troubled-teen with elderly support against quite a few new interesting villains. Blight, Inque, new Royal Flush Gang (though personally I had never heard of them before this, so...), that snake gang I can't currently recall the name of, Splicers, Spellbinder, etc.

Sure, some elements are noticeably dated - one episode has Barbara's husband running for office, with a stance on "tougher on crime", for example - but overall it still holds up very well indeed. And the Justice League has changed too, though only a handful of members could be shown in that two-parter; imagine the possibilities of who else has stayed and who's new.

Danker301090

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah if two WB Games products were already pushed to 22 then it was very likely the whole company projects were going to move.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.