Gaming got a pirated windows Copy.

philip11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went to a Ham fest basically a Flea market and I found a good deal on a laptop and so I got it connected
to the in internet and it says I got a fake version of XP and I was wondering would it be Legal to keep this Copy?
I installed some updates and no problems.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it's not legal.

Does the laptop have a license sticker on it? Usually they come with a code on them, if you install the correct version of windows everything should be fine assuming they haven't used the key on 20 other machines and invalidated it...

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does it matter? mostly everybody uses a pirated copy of windows.

Well for XP it can be difficult to get updates (although that issue will resolve itself soon.)

At the OP, if you want I have some spare legit keys (I keep old PC's and the licenses for emergencies.) I have probably 20 XP legit licenses. Just let me know and I will PM you a good key and destroy the original so its all legit.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
If you use a pirated copy of wndows who cares? I know a lot of people how have pirated windows or have one license on mulitple comps. (More than the license allows)

Reactions: 2 people

philip11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it's not legal.

Does the laptop have a license sticker on it? Usually they come with a code on them, if you install the correct version of windows everything should be fine assuming they haven't used the key on 20 other machines and invalidated it...
heh that's the thing it was designed for 98

Well for XP it can be difficult to get updates (although that issue will resolve itself soon.)

At the OP, if you want I have some spare legit keys (I keep old PC's and the licenses for emergencies.) I have probably 20 XP legit licenses. Just let me know and I will PM you a good key and destroy the original so its all legit.
how would I do that?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Remove WGA.
2. Enjoy a life with no notifications.

Windows XP is no longer sold OR supported anyways, nobody really cares anymore. It's been *years* since anyone cared. But no, technically it is not legal to keep it.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Remove WGA.
2. Enjoy a life with no notifications.

Windows XP is no longer sold OR supported anyways, nobody really cares anymore. It's been *years* since anyone cared. But no, technically it is not legal to keep it.
how would I remove WGA?
Google the term "Remove WGA", there's a zillion of tools that do it, really.

At the end of the day, this is just a notification. After you've installed all Service Packs, there's nothing Windows XP will offer further.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it's not legal.

heh that's the thing it was designed for 98

how would I do that?

It is legal to download the ISO file for XP, you may need to Google around for it. Do a clean install (I would do this anyway as who knows whats running on that machine you picked up at the flea market...) when it asks for the key just type it in.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will probably do that if not I'll install Linux Mint

If you can get Linux working on it (some older laptops are an adventure....) that would probably be the best route.
Just be aware that if something doesn't work under one version of Linux it might work with a different flavor.

Mint is really good though.

You might also look into Puppy Linux, I have had great luck in getting it working on older Laptops.

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
This is not true.
I do.

I thought I deserved a free copy of Windows 7 after buying a machine that came with Vista.

Just because YOU have a pirated copy doesn't mean everybody does. Most people buy their computer with Windows already installed, so most people use a legit version.

Plus, most student (mostly computer science students) have access to free legal copies of Windows via their school, so even if you build the computer yourself and don't buy windows, there's a good chance you can get it for free.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Plus, most student (mostly computer science students) have access to free legal copies of Windows via their school, so even if you build the computer yourself and don't buy windows, there's a good chance you can get it for free.

I am one of those. I even have a couple legit copies for my needs. This is my last semester though, so I won't be getting any more :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)