Google's Self-Driving Car: 300,000 Miles, 0 Accidents

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I see no reason why anyone should ever let a human drive again after these are done and available to everyone.

It's ridiculously expensive and a lot of work to get a drivers license and people who drive regularly tend to be constantly frustrated and angry at all the other drivers, not to mention the large amounts of accidents that happen due to humans behind the wheel, fuel inefficient driving, getting lost and so on and so forth.

And before anyone says "But it's too expensive to make it available to everyone!" - the amount of money saved on hospital bills, car repairs, funerals, lawsuits and driving schools (plus the extra taxes from the 1.2 million people who don't die in car accidents every year) is probably enough to allow these to be provided to people around the world (well, at least the parts of the world where there's the infrastructure for these cars) for an affordable amount of money.

Reactions: 2 people

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
AI:
  • Doesn't drive drunk
  • Doesn't make simple deadly mistakes
  • Doesn't panic
  • Doesn't get stressed
  • Doesn't act with emotions
... Soon we don't need to drive any more. Sure might be boring for some/sometimes.

Reactions: 1 person

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The fact that I've yet to notice one of these on the streets means these cars are either ninjas or don't like me, because they've apparently been on them for quite some time. And no, it can't be that they're merely not deployed in my area. Just, no.

Also, in response to this:
Next step is to invent asshole AI:
-Cut you off.... then drive 10 under the speed limit!
-2-way stop?.... pretend it's a 4-way stop until you cause an accident!
-100 parking spots?.... pick the one right next to you, and make sure you can't get to the driver's side door!
We've already created plenty of "intelligence" that acts this way, though they're not programmed into computers.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AI:
  • Doesn't drive drunk
  • Doesn't make simple deadly mistakes
  • Doesn't panic
  • Doesn't get stressed
  • Doesn't act with emotions
... Soon we don't need to drive any more. Sure might be boring for some/sometimes.

Except you probably do everything, but drive. Like play a game or something. Thought, realistically you should at least be
partially aware of your surroundings.

I see no reason why anyone should ever let a human drive again after these are done and available to everyone.
People will still need a license because there is a chance that the hardware and software can go buggy. Computers aren't
perfect.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I foresee an (albeit distant) future where there is no steering wheel in a car, and all cars are linked up to one central server (or communicate wirelessly with other cars in a 500 meter radius). This will allow the user to set a destination and the car (or server) will:

Take into account other vehicles - this is the best bit, imagine a super-efficient computer program that can map where the cars are, where they're going and automatically adjust routes and speeds (taking into account junctions, roundabouts etc.) in order to create the quickest average destination time possible.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Just realized, my father runs The Conway Trucking Facility down here in san antonio, and self driving cars could lead into self driving trucks.
Therefore, many truckers around the world could lose their jobs to robots ;O;
Granted that wouldn't be til way into the future...
That was almost exactly in a Simpsons episode.

Left your car at a friends place?
Just call it and it'll come.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i think this had to come so much more earlier. but what is more impressive from them is their google glasses.

i feel we are going slow with technology in many areas but not google as they seem to aim far and achieve what they are aiming for. What i even love about them is that they said at G-Tanzania that their ppl spend 2hrs in a day to think and concoct new ideas.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
After reading the article, it sounds interesting, it could be good to have this, and if there were traffic control set up, it could have human interaction to aid it past.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The good part is that I will pass through the traffic sleeping.

but I really LOVE to drive, so I hope that they allow us to disable it.

PS.: Today I drive this:
CrossFox01_no59418.jpg

It has ZERO technology on it, the only automatic feature is the windows (it open when I press a button :yay: )

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I foresee an (albeit distant) future where there is no steering wheel in a car, and all cars are linked up to one central server (or communicate wirelessly with other cars in a 500 meter radius). This will allow the user to set a destination and the car (or server) will:

Take into account other vehicles - this is the best bit, imagine a super-efficient computer program that can map where the cars are, where they're going and automatically adjust routes and speeds (taking into account junctions, roundabouts etc.) in order to create the quickest average destination time possible.
just GPS with friend codes.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

and automatic and intelligent driving.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

hopefully it can see when a child is crossing the street.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

hopefully it can see when a child is crossing the street.

Oh, it can, and it actually has a better reaction time than any living human.

And to address other issues, yes, computers are buggy, and yes computers crash. That's why there's a failsafe that allows the "driver"to assume manual control in case of computer system failure. That's why it still requires a human in the driver's seat at all times.

Reactions: 2 people

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I wonder if cars when they're released will work by themselves or need some kind of 'accessory' to control the route etc. I wonder if that 'accessory' will be some kind of smartphone or tablets. I wonder if that software will be available on iOS. :D

Just kidding. I more wonder if iOS or Android will still even be relevant when these vehicles are ready for mass production.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice