Google Glass Goes on Sale to Public (For a Single Day)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google's a company run almost entirely by poindexters. It's a bit silly to assume they don't have some solution worked out for people with poor eyesight.

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Considering you have to look up to play the emulator and watch Netflix, can you explain that experience? Sounds tiring on the eyes.

Well, in the beginning I needed to get used to it, but after that it didn't 'annoy' me anymore. If you look right in front of you, you won't even notice you're wearing Glass after a while.
Google did that very well. They made sure it won't be in your field of vision so that it would distract you.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
call me when this is ready and you don't have to wear anything (as long as appl$ doesn't make it :P)

eyePhone.png

Reactions: Deleted-236924

computarman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One day only huh. I think they are trying to create a sense of scarcity or something, because at that price if they just simply released the product, I think it would fail for sure. The google glasses will be another distraction for everyone involved anyway. It's kinda like the smart watch. It begs the question can't you just pull out your phone and be done with it. The people wearing the Google glasses will be looking all goofy IMO.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The price really isn't that obscure. Hell I still have one of the first SCSI cdrom burners 4x with a caddy. We paid $5000 for it when they first came out. Now you can get them for $35 bucks and they do a lot more, faster, re-writable, usb. It all depends on time & demand.

Reactions: Deleted User

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price really isn't that obscure. Hell I still have one of the first SCSI cdrom burners 4x with a caddy. We paid $5000 for it when they first came out. Now you can get them for $35 bucks and they do a lot more, faster, re-writable, usb. It all depends on time & demand.

True, but a number of electronics back in the day were expensive. Relative to now, $1500 is expensive. I can buy an laptop and convert it into google glass at a third of the price.

D

Deleted User

Man, don't you hate it when a company offers you a chance to test their, what seems to be, revolutionary technology. Like, I can't believe they'd put it at a high price, are they expecting us basement dwellers to pay that amount of cash? For shame google, I thought you'd know better that we deserve this amazing unfinished hardware at a finished product selling price, if not free.

(You don't have to buy the god damn thing, you're not the target audience for this beta, that and the price is reasonable. How much do you think they have to pay the employees/how many employees work at google?)

Reactions: Gahars

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would much rather buy the Laster SeeThru: http://laster.fr/products/seethru/?lg=en

They had an (unfortunately) failed kickstarter, but they are taking pre-orders on their site now. Laster is taking a different approach to it and I like it. Having no camera on it is a plus. Eliminates the social stigma of the thing. (The "why are you taking a picture of me?" confrontation..)

On the kickstarter you could get a kit to assemble (no solder, easy screw together) for $349 and pre-assembled for $399. Sure beats $1500. The $399 included the SDK as well. Nice.

I might pre-order one as long as I can get black frames. The white are just not speaking to me.

-Vm

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why on Earth these things are still a big deal.

Pretty much all of the "exciting experiences" I've seen involving Google Glass were just using it as a mini-GoPro. Not sure how that's so life changing.

Especially when you consider there are VR headsets coming which cost way less and do way more.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would much rather buy the Laster SeeThru: http://laster.fr/products/seethru/?lg=en

They had an (unfortunately) failed kickstarter, but they are taking pre-orders on their site now. Laster is taking a different approach to it and I like it. Having no camera on it is a plus. Eliminates the social stigma of the thing. (The "why are you taking a picture of me?" confrontation..)

On the kickstarter you could get a kit to assemble (no solder, easy screw together) for $349 and pre-assembled for $399. Sure beats $1500. The $399 included the SDK as well. Nice.

I might pre-order one as long as I can get black frames. The white are just not speaking to me.

-Vm
Those seem nice, I wonder how they work.
One step further towards perfect Augmented Reality implementations :)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in the beginning I needed to get used to it, but after that it didn't 'annoy' me anymore. If you look right in front of you, you won't even notice you're wearing Glass after a while.
Google did that very well. They made sure it won't be in your field of vision so that it would distract you.
Well, figured that. I meant entertainment wise. Personally, I think it should cover a large field of vision
and give you the choice what to take up.

One day only huh. I think they are trying to create a sense of scarcity or something, because at that price if they just simply released the product, I think it would fail for sure. The google glasses will be another distraction for everyone involved anyway. It's kinda like the smart watch. It begs the question can't you just pull out your phone and be done with it. The people wearing the Google glasses will be looking all goofy IMO.
Well, of course. It's still in beta. That's for the price and the looks.

For people who already wear watches, it wouldn't be "another distraction". Why take your phone out just for quick glances and replies? There are watches that can even replace the phone altogether.

I'm sure we'll get something that look like regular glasses and can even standalone.

-Vm
It's like a bigger Google Glass. Having no camera takes away a lot of functionality. Something they could have solve by just putting on a cap, not taking away the camera.

Not sure why on Earth these things are still a big deal.

Pretty much all of the "exciting experiences" I've seen involving Google Glass were just using it as a mini-GoPro. Not sure how that's so life changing.

Especially when you consider there are VR headsets coming which cost way less and do way more.
Well, it's new and still in development.

One, they can do more than that and two, that's like telling someone content with a camera smartphone to get a point-and-shoot camera. Google Glass is still lighter, more from your POV and as said, do more things.

VR is much bigger hardware and is meant to take up your whole vision away from the world. AR glasses are the opposite in that they are meant to add.

We going to get something between Laster SeeThru,Google Glass and Atheer Labs,Metapro.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?