Google Glass Goes on Sale to Public (For a Single Day)

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still think of these when Google Glass is brought up
Jemhadar_hud.jpg

Anyway, I'd totally buy a pair if I had the money
WRONG! Will Be This!!!
Vegeta_bip_by_Freakazoid999.gif

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
I don't think the wearables market will ever take off. No matter how you look at it (ha see what I did there [ha see what I did there]), when you wear a screen on your body, you look like a fucking idiot. That, and they don't offer anything you can't already do with other devices.

Look, here's a prototype of the new Google Belly:
ttlTubbyTummyTV.jpg

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WRONG! Will Be This!!!
Vegeta_bip_by_Freakazoid999.gif
headPro.jpg

I don't think the wearables market will ever take off. No matter how you look at it (ha see what I did there [ha see what I did there]), when you wear a screen on your body, you look like a fucking idiot. That, and they don't offer anything you can't already do with other devices.
I guess you are a bit... shortsighted. :P For watches, if you watch that Neptune Pine video, you can see that it frees up your pockets.

I can envision a future with standalone devices that look like regular glasses that project a huge screen, that can correct vision, be your phone and tablet, and free up pockets.

:P

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The thing with smart watches, is that they currently advertise them as mainly standalone devices, which (imo) won't work. While smart watches introduced a lot of people to the idea of Wearable Technology (like my father), the screen is too small to use it efficiently.

I would recommend my father to use a Bluetooth keyboard, but that won't work with smart watches.
With Google Glass on the other hand, you have both your hands free, and you can (easily with some sideloaded apps) connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to it.

I'm pretty much a glasshole, especially to the people that I know. There are only ~30 people in Netherlands who have Google Glass, so it isn't as well known as it is in America.
I think the price will go down a lot ($400~$ 500), especially considering the hardware that's in it. Might need to save some money for it, but I'll definitely get one.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think the wearables market will ever take off. No matter how you look at it (ha see what I did there [ha see what I did there]), when you wear a screen on your body, you look like a fucking idiot. That, and they don't offer anything you can't already do with other devices

How it looks doesn't mean shit. If it was mainstream then no one would bat an eyelash if you wore one. Even if it was stupid looking, if it was ACTUALLY useful/functional, then people wouldn't care. You need some more confidence in yourself if you're scared to wear something because of what others might say.

I'm sure it will become mainstream. Just not now. Google Glass seems like it's going to be absurdly priced and no one in their right mind will buy the thing except to say they've got one.
Plus the technology just isn't there. Google glass does practically nothing useful. But yeah, it will take off once the technology IS actually there to back it up.

Though with that said, making it less ugly would help a bit. Whoever designed the look of the Google Glass should probably be fired.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
until it projects a screen hovering in front of you in mid air and you can interact with that screen with your hands than only than will it be WORTH getting!

DunnoBro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is a good marketing strategy.

What this will do, is create a sense of scarcity and fake demand.

They will most likely be put up on ebay for a much higher price somewhere down the road, and this will give google the ability to overprice because they'll at least be cheaper than those.

It'd probably also be worth it to actually buy these 1500 monstrosities to just resell them down the road.

As for me though, my get-rich-quick scheme is about making a DBz power level reader app. Should get me at least a few grand, maybe even 10. Probably somewhere between 9-10 thousand though.

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
How it looks doesn't mean shit. If it was mainstream then no one would bat an eyelash if you wore one. Even if it was stupid looking, if it was ACTUALLY useful/functional, then people wouldn't care. You need some more confidence in yourself if you're scared to wear something because of what others might say.
I think you grossly underestimate the power of fashion. Please give me an example of something that looks really stupid but is used by many people.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think you grossly underestimate the power of fashion. Please give me an example of something that looks really stupid but is used by many people.

fXQQ9Lu.png

EDIT: It should be noted (in case anyone isn't aware) these are the lense-less hipster glasses, AKA something that looks really stupid.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The wearables market could be successful and accepted if they had some type of auto disable feature for the camera, you know some sensors so it could disable the camera automatically if the person wearing the device is in a public or government building. People would feel more at ease if there was such a feature on these devices.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot of people wearing Google glasses around here. I really think this type of technology is going to catch on big time, but it is still in its infancy. Google Glasses are basically the Apple Newton of wearable computing. I think I am going to wait at least until version 3.0. Like early PDA's that evolved into ubiquitous smartphones, the day when everyone is walking around looking at a screen is probably at least a decade away.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing with smart watches, is that they currently advertise them as mainly standalone devices, which (imo) won't work. While smart watches introduced a lot of people to the idea of Wearable Technology (like my father), the screen is too small to use it efficiently.

I would recommend my father to use a Bluetooth keyboard, but that won't work with smart watches.

With Google Glass on the other hand, you have both your hands free, and you can (easily with some sideloaded apps) connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to it.
Neptune pine is just big enough to be pretty efficient for entertainment even if not as efficient as a bigger screens.

Of course you not going to get that much production work on it.

I think the price will go down a lot ($400~$ 500), especially considering the hardware that's in it. Might need to save some money for it, but I'll definitely get one.
I actually think it will be lower than that. Unless they are adding more and/or stronger hardware, I see going for ~$230-$300.

The wearables market could be successful and accepted if they had some type of auto disable feature for the camera, you know some sensors so it could disable the camera automatically if the person wearing the device is in a public or government building. People would feel more at ease if there was such a feature on these devices.

Just like how phones and tablets cameras are disable for them to have become successful and accepted.

Seriously tho, I don't think people want their devices messed with,especially just because of the camera(s). Disabling hardware is extreme when it can just be solved by a cap or physical shutter.

Well, this is interesting.

Nyancat

wow i have a custom title, how nice
Trophies
XP
Country
Wearing the google glasses in public? No thanks. They would make you look so nerdy like you want to die they would be more of a home thing for me but then what's the point of having them at home? That's what an iPad is for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ