Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I think the only slice of life Anime that I've ever watched is Clannad maybe. But I've recently picked up Watamote. Not sure if that would be your cup of tea though. I recommend against trying to binge watch it. I learned that the hard way. :P Wish I had picked it up sooner. :D

As for how realistic Watamote is....Well that's hard to say. Perhaps there's some exaggerations here and there. But overall it doesn't seem to have all the typical anime tropes from the typical bad anime (that I am keen to. I'm not a heavy anime watcher, so certainly if there are some more settle references, I would likely not notice them) and all the side characters (thus far) seem to be realistic. Tomoko really is the only abnormal one in the show but that is by design so not really a negative. :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't see this thread before.
I'll post some I watched:

Series
Usagi drop (I know, already mentioned, but you REALLY should watch this one if you want slice of life) : a 30 year old guy getting his nieces at home after her father's death, with every implied changes in his life (children care, etc.)
Piano : A girl who want to learn piano
Aku no Hana : psychological harassment between two students
Eve no Jikan : When Cyborg hide to human that they have self awareness.
Fuujin Monogatari
K-on : Student creating a Light Rock club at their Girl's school.
Fuyuu no Sonata : (this one is based on a Korean Drama. I didn't watch it)
Paradise Kiss : a girl joining a strange group, which happen to be a stylist students and she's asked to be their model. (Prequel to Gokinjo Monogatari)
Gokinjo Monogatari : Following the sister of the previous series's main character.
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Someday`s Dreamers (with some magic world theme)
Nodame Cantabile
Peach Girl
Rec
Sora no Oto (too bad, not enough world's detail. Same setting/character design as K-on)
Space brothers (currently airing, there's no real seasons, it's just a following story)
Natsume Yuujinchou (I don't know if you can consider this one as slice of life. It's a slice of life of a student who can see spirit world and japanese folklore's spirits)

You might also like the annual "Young Animator Training Project." since 2011: 4 short animations sponsored by big animation studios.

More sport oriented :
Touch, Slow step, Cross game, etc. (all work from Mitsuru Adachi)
Major
Hikaru no go

Movies/OVA:
Mimi wo Sumaseba (Ghibli)
From Up On Poppy Hill (Ghibli)
Umi ga Kikoeru (Ghibli)
Grave of the Fireflies (again)
huu, in fact a lot of Ghibli's ;)

Hoshi no Koe
5 Centimetres per Second
Kotonoha no Niwa

Hotarubi no Mori e (same genre as Natsume Yuujinchou)
Kimi no Iru Machi
Colorful
Rain Town

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't see this thread before.
I'll post some I watched:

Series
Usagi drop (I know, already mentioned, but you REALLY should watch this one if you want slice of life) : a 30 year old guy getting his nieces at home after her father's death, with every implied changes in his life (children care, etc.)
Piano : A girl who want to learn piano
Aku no Hana : psychological harassment between two students
Eve no Jikan : When Cyborg hide to human that they have self awareness.
Fuujin Monogatari
K-on : Student creating a Light Rock club at their Girl's school.
Fuyuu no Sonata : (this one is based on a Korean Drama. I didn't watch it)
Paradise Kiss : a girl joining a strange group, which happen to be a stylist students and she's asked to be their model. (Prequel to Gokinjo Monogatari)
Gokinjo Monogatari : Following the sister of the previous series's main character.
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Someday`s Dreamers (with some magic world theme)
Nodame Cantabile
Peach Girl
Rec
Sora no Oto (too bad, not enough world's detail. Same setting/character design as K-on)
Space brothers (currently airing, there's no real seasons, it's just a following story)
Natsume Yuujinchou (I don't know if you can consider this one as slice of life. It's a slice of life of a student who can see spirit world and japanese folklore's spirits)

You might also like the annual "Young Animator Training Project." since 2011: 4 short animations sponsored by big animation studios.

More sport oriented :
Touch, Slow step, Cross game, etc. (all work from Mitsuru Adachi)
Major
Hikaru no go

Movies/OVA:
Mimi wo Sumaseba (Ghibli)
From Up On Poppy Hill (Ghibli)
Umi ga Kikoeru (Ghibli)
Grave of the Fireflies (again)
huu, in fact a lot of Ghibli's ;)

Hoshi no Koe
5 Centimetres per Second
Kotonoha no Niwa

Hotarubi no Mori e (same genre as Natsume Yuujinchou)
Kimi no Iru Machi
Colorful
Rain Town
Aku no Hana is weird.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ghost in the Shell - both the movies and the Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig series. It's realistic in the sense of not having any magic and whatnot - it's merely a look into the grim, somewhat cyberpunk future.

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
Minami-ke! First season is brilliant, as was the fourth. I love the second and third, but admittedly I see why others don't.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Aku no Hana is weird.
yeahh, it sure is.
I had difficulty to continue watching it, but not for the animation/design, more because of the theme (I don't like Hijime, harassment, people abusing other people)
And to finally found ... "End of Part 1, To be continued" Noooooo, no more of that story.

Bake

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Never really understood what the hell "slice of life" is.

But uh... Monster is pretty realistic. Does that fit in here?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
slice of life is story based on a character, mostly from real world locations/country/town (it could be imaginary locations too), living their own life with their own problem.(not fantasy, Sci-fi, surnatural, monsters, etc.)
A student in love with his teacher (Piano)
A guy taking care of a kid because her father died (Usagi drop)
A girl meeting a boy who want to become luthier (Mimi wo sumaseba)
Two brothers aspiring to become astronauts, following their training at JAXA, NASA, etc (Space brothers)
An orphan kid who need to sell lanterns to earn money and survive, while electricity is starting to be available to everyone (Ojii-san no Lamp)

It's not about saving the world, or killing a villain, it's about simple, every day's problem or happiness that people could have in their life. You follow a part/slice of their life.

Of course you could say "any story is a part of the protagonist's life". but it's more like a genre, no ennemies, no world to save, no goal to reach, etc. it's just following few days of someone's "boring life" :P

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Surprisingly enough, Windy Tales. Yes, despite the premise, it's a slice of life anime. One of the sliciest. Yes, it's about a bunch of people who can (sometimes) control the wind, but the story doesn't revolve around that. There is no overarching plot, there is no conspiracy of airbenders bent (hah!) on world domination, there are no antagonists, no enemies, no fights, nothing. It's just the daily lives of several people. And it's really good, and nice, and relaxing, and the art style is very unusual, and I sincerely recommend it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah yes, I list it with the japanese name
Fuujin monogatari = Windy tales

I'll also add that it has nice and relaxing sound track, I listen to it occasionally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la