Hardware Get 3DS or wait for 3DS lite or buy DSi?

GoodBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Then DSlite to DSi...they...uh, added a camera and made the screen 1% bigger. Yay!...I still bought it because my DSlite broke, but that's how I found out useless of a revision it was.
Not exactly. Besides camera and bigger screens, DSi got improved screen quality, better brightness and more vibrant colors, also speakers have been improved significantly. Not to mention better bulid quality and totally revamped menu layout based on Wii system. I wouldn't call it "small changes"...

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Then DSlite to DSi...they...uh, added a camera and made the screen 1% bigger. Yay!...I still bought it because my DSlite broke, but that's how I found out useless of a revision it was.
Not exactly. Besides camera and bigger screens, DSi got improved screen quality, better brightness and more vibrant colors, also speakers have been improved significantly. Not to mention better bulid quality and totally revamped menu layout based on Wii system. I wouldn't call it "small changes"...
Your in the menu 0.05% of the time? Plus I liked the build of the DSLite. The screen looks better on the DSLite TBH, as the screen density is higher, though the bigger screen is a plus ;).
Honestly though the changes were not much...

Reactions: 2 people

steve1974

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I say dont wait for a revision of the 3ds. While this is bound to happen eventually who knows when. Basically if your happy with the 3ds's software library and there's games you want to play then buy one. If not, hold off until your pleased with whats available.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the 3DS didn't have strong games in its lineup, I'd say get the DSi. However, it does. Get the 3DS.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
PSVita

/thread

He didn't have that as an option. :(

I'd say get a 3DS now, because it may be a while till the next revision comes out, and the actual changes may not come out as deal-breaking (since no one know what will be changed other than Nintendo). At least with getting one now, you can have the enjoyment now, and then choose to trade it in if the next revision does have something worth having.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That depends on whether you're really interested in the 3DS's current lineup and 2012 lineup. If not, I would wait for a 3DS revision.

Get a 3DS.
A 3DS "lite" really wouldn't add much, anyway. Except maybe actually integrate the damn second thumbstick like it should have always had.
It'll be years before that.
I'm getting 3DS, though I have my doubts if I'm making the right choice :) They won't add another analog stick, because that would be totally new console, not a revamped 3DS. Keep in mind all current 3DS owners have to be supported by future 3DS games, which have to be designed specifically to operate using one thumbstick not two. Otherwise 3DS-one analog stick users would feel betrayed by Nintendo at such an early phase of console lifecycle.... Lastly, nintendo never changes arrangement of controls within same generation of console. They will make 2-sticks console in the future, but it's gonna be 3DS successor, another generation of handheld, not it's revamped, lite 3DSi or whatever they gonna call it incarnation.
They will integrate a second slide pad. Introducing one would not alienate old 3DS owners as every game is playable with one slide-pad. While they might not play well with one, they all certainly work on older 3DS systems. And if current 3DS owners do want a second analog stick, they can just buy the Circle Pad Pro. The fact that a second slide pad is being released so early in the console's lifecycle is actually a good thing. More games will support it as a control-scheme.

Do I have to remind you of how many add-ons were released on the previous DS's?

Did any one of them get integrated in any future revision?

D

Deleted_171835

They will integrate a second slide pad. Introducing one would not alienate old 3DS owners as every game is playable with one slide-pad. While they might not play well with one, they all certainly work on older 3DS systems. And if current 3DS owners do want a second analog stick, they can just buy the Circle Pad Pro. The fact that a second slide pad is being released so early in the console's lifecycle is actually a good thing. More games will support it as a control-scheme.

Name one add-on for the DS that changed the control-scheme.

The cameras were shit and the screen was only a tad bit bigger. The menu was slow and annoying to navigate and the build-quality wasn't that good. The DSi was a silly revision. The only redeeming factor were the few gems on the DSiWare shop which you can now get on the 3DS's eShop. On the other hand, the DSi XL was great because of those gigantic screens.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

Guitar grip did.
That circle controller thingy that we put in slot-2.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

http://gaming.wikia....ddle_Controller

http://gaming.wikia....our_Guitar_Grip

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Did you ever own a DSi?
I did.
Trust me, it's the same shit. The screen was slightly bigger (by slightly, I mean you'll never notice), and if the quality was improved you'd really have to squint and stare at with a DSlite beside it to figure it out, unlike the original DS > DSlite which was an absurd difference. The build quality was the same. It didn't feel better nor worse. The menu was a crap lagfest, like most people have said. the biggest changes were some hardware upgrades, and they never used them so they were completely useless. Oh and the camera was a waste of time. The pictures it took were right up there with a novelty dollar store camera you'd find for $5.

No idea what the first is, but are you seriously trying to defend your point with an add-on specifically designed for ...what, TWO games? Of course it wasn't fucking integrated. Unless they started making Mario, Link and Kirby rock out to some sick guitar solos, why in the shit would they integrate it into a DS revision?

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

@[member='insidexdeath'] @[member='Pingouin7']
Those add-ons were only used for one game and were not necessary or helpful for any other game.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever own a DSi?
I did.
Trust me, it's the same shit. The screen was slightly bigger (by slightly, I mean you'll never notice), and if the quality was improved you'd really have to squint and stare at with a DSlite beside it to figure it out, unlike the original DS > DSlite which was an absurd difference. The build quality was the same. It didn't feel better nor worse. The menu was a crap lagfest, like most people have said. the biggest changes were some hardware upgrades, and they never used them so they were completely useless. Oh and the camera was a waste of time. The pictures it took were right up there with a novelty dollar store camera you'd find for $5.
I've owned every model of the DS (Except the XL), and I disagree. After being spoiled by the 3DS, I feel like the DSi's build completely sucks, but the screens were 17% bigger if I remember correctly, and it was actually noticeable and helpful. Everything else you said was pretty much true though. Not to mention the triggers that broke on every DSi that I've seen...

D

Deleted-236924

Those add-ons were only used for one game and were not necessary or helpful for any other game.
You asked us to name an addon that changed the DS control scheme.
That's what we did.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yes, but they were required to play those games. The Circle Pad Pro thusfar is not required by any game as it is optional.

What does that have to do with anything.
It would still improve several games experience, and thus is a very viable option to include in a revision. It HAS to be optional, because of the original 3DS, but a majority of games could add support for it easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.