• Views 8,853
  • Replies 84

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just a rumor and probably a scheme by Mr. Dewritos to lower the hype of the PS4. PC games also have annoying DRM, and used games barely exists in PC in stores, and if they do, they will 99.99% chance will also have DRM to prevent someone from letting a friend borrow a game.

Reactions: KingVamp

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that they managed the PS3 situation very well - I'm saying that they're managing it well now, to such an extent that their last generation system still sells better than Nintendo's next generation one.

They're not idiots and they're not repeating the mistakes of the past - the PS3's launch price was a huge hurdle for early adopters so they made sure to announce the system as low-cost, the CELL was hard to develop for so they chose the easiest architecture to program for - the x86. They actually went door-to-door to consult game developers about what they'd want to see in their system.

The PS4 will undoubtedly be a successful system and Sony does take note of a sudden spike in their stock price - money speaks more than a thousand words and if not introducing such DRM as a standard gives them exactly that, they won't introduce it.

Do you grasp the irony of your statements? The *same* could be--and was--said of the PS3. It was also said about Vita. And yet...they dropped the ball. Hard. And given that you skipped my PS Vita comment, which was greenlit, as a project, under the current prez of Sony and is a product of the improved SCE you claim now exists, I am a lot less sanguine.

(And really, how good could your management be if you were counting on a *third party* product to carry you to victory (see: Monster Hunter)? Banking on the transient nature of third party 'exclusives' is foolish in the extreme, and I don't even need an MBA to tell you that.)

(And you're going to have define your terms: what counts as "successful"? 4-years of bleeding before making money? First place? Third but making money? "Success" is a very elastic term...)

(And of course the PS3 is selling better than the U--it's cheaper and has a much better library of games. The PS2 out-sold the XBOX360, too, initially, but that doesn't mean what you think it means especially since the 360 went on to decimate the PS3 in the USA and the UK and Sony, is just now, as the generation ends, about to pass MS on the continent.)

Anyway, I'm done--you can have the last word, but I think you have far too much faith in a company that has not earned it, purely from a business standpoint, never mind the vagaries of consumer demand and the current state of the economy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you grasp the irony of your statements? The *same* could be--and was--said of the PS3. It was also said about Vita. And yet...they dropped the ball. Hard. And given that you skipped my PS Vita comment, which was greenlit, as a project, under the current prez of Sony and is a product of the improved SCE you claim now exists, I am a lot less sanguine.
...this might be due to the simple reason that I like my PSVita and see nothing wrong with it as a product...? It has a slow start just like any Sony platform in the history of ever, which doesn't make it a bad product - it's merely sold at a high price point.

The 3DS was initialy sold for $250 as well and it didn't sell either, except guess what - the PSVita actually packs a punch and its price is entirely justified, which was not the case with the 3DS.

Sure, it could use a price cut. Sure, it needs more games to get it going, but we have an E3 ahead of us - an ideal time to present new titles.

(And really, how good could your management be if you were counting on a *third party* product to carry you to victory (see: Monster Hunter)? Banking on the transient nature of third party 'exclusives' is foolish in the extreme, and I don't even need an MBA to tell you that.)
I think you probably should work on your logic there, because that's exactly what pulled the PS1 and the PS2 to the top...?

(And you're going to have define your terms: what counts as "successful"? 4-years of bleeding before making money? First place? Third but making money? "Success" is a very elastic term...)
Except it's not going off the market. Like, at all. The PS4 is not backwards-compatible, which enables Sony to continue selling PS3's well into the life cycle of the PS3. They did the exact same thing with the PS1 and the PS2 in the past - the PS3 isn't going to vanish of the radar.

(And of course the PS3 is selling better than the U--it's cheaper and has a much better library of games. The PS2 out-sold the XBOX360, too, initially, but that doesn't mean what you think it means especially since the 360 went on to decimate the PS3 in the USA and the UK and Sony, is just now, as the generation ends, about to pass MS on the continent.)
Uh-huh - so it is passing, is it not? Additionally I'd like to add that UK =/= the entire Europe and all that. ;)

Anyway, I'm done--you can have the last word, but I think you have far too much faith in a company that has not earned it, purely from a business standpoint, never mind the vagaries of consumer demand and the current state of the economy.

I think you're over-interpreting what I actually said, which was "Sony saw the increase in their stock price after the XBox One presentation and is able to draw conclusions from that" which is something they indeed can do.

The Anti-Sony. It is oozing out of you.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sony don't do this and if you do make it a serial code on the back of the box or in the box for physical versions of games.

This is dangerous because if both have the online activation requirement, consoles will die and mobile will takeover, trust me mobile is the nightmare of nightmares, controls suck, true region locking that can't be bypassed or rectified by any means, and mobile games overall suck, good games are few and far between. Now PC would not satisfy me, there's very little I want to play on PC, Japanese exclusives are often MMOs (no thanks) and Visual Novels (I want more variety than just VNs, I like them but I don't want to be reduced to just playing them).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird, that Geoff Keighley who works with GameTrailers (Who's hugely supported by Microsoft mind you), randomly came out with this, right around the time people are bitching about Microsoft doing it?

Like... why not say it around the Sony conference. Instead "Oh, the internet is all butthurt about used games on my precious and glorious Xbox One? I'm tired of this, time for a new rumor..."

It just seems weird to me.

Reactions: VMM
D

Deleted_171835

OP
...this might be due to the simple reason that I like my PSVita and see nothing wrong with it as a product...? It has a slow start just like any Sony platform in the history of ever, which doesn't make it a bad product - it's merely sold at a high price point.

The 3DS was initialy sold for $250 as well and it didn't sell either, except guess what - the PSVita actually packs a punch and its price is entirely justified, which was not the case with the 3DS.

Sure, it could use a price cut. Sure, it needs more games to get it going, but we have an E3 ahead of us - an ideal time to present new titles.
Do I have to bring up the fact that the 3DS pre-price drop didn't sell anywhere as close to how the Vita is doing?
Or that we already had TGS, E3, and two holiday seasons pass by with no significant news regarding the Vita's future?
Or that "perceived value" matters more when people say the Vita is overpriced.

To say that the Vita has been anything but a failure so far is straight up delusional. It's long past the point where we can say it's simply struggling. Sure it's fine if you like the platform but there's no denying the situation it's in.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do I have to bring up the fact that the 3DS pre-price drop didn't sell anywhere as close to how the Vita is doing?
It's sort of hard to tell how the PSVita's doing due to consolidating sales of both the PSVita and the PS3 on every quarterly report I've read lately, but yeah, I suppose you're right.
Or that we already had TGS, E3, and two holiday seasons pass by with no significant news regarding the Vita's future?
Except of several upcoming games and the promise of 100 new titles coming up within the year?
Or that "perceived value" matters more when people say the Vita is overpriced.
Perhaps Sony's marketing should focus more on how the PSVita is factually a better system then rather than printing posters of women with two sets of breasts then... :P

To say that the Vita has been anything but a failure so far is straight up delusional. It's long past the point where we can say it's simply struggling. Sure it's fine if you like the platform but there's no denying the situation it's in.

It highly depends on the area you speak of. Where I live, the 3DS practically doesn't exist. ;) I wouldn't go as far as to call it a failure, but it definitely could do better. There's some room for improvement - quite a lot of room, but I expect the system to have a long lifespan, so they have time to make up for the slow start. We'll see how the situation will look like post-E3 and after the PS4 is released, having all the cross-connectivity in mind.

Also, appropriate:
PpugqL6.png

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WELP! Gaming just went to the shitter if this is true. Everyone should just go ahead and buy a Wii U or Ouya right now.

wiiu_prints_money.jpg

And to think everyone in the industry are criticizing Nintendo for being behind the times, no they aren't behind the times and they have some respect towards gamers and don't want to alienate them.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh ... Ouya is overhyped in my opinion..

Not the issue here. Nintendo and Ouya are NOT sticking a HD camera in your living room, tracking your movements, forcing you to pay extra for used games and telling you how to use your content. -OK well Ouya is more open than Wii U but you get my point. "Microshit" and if true, "Fony" are pushing the boundaries of home privacy in nasty ways that I just don't like

Watch the above video. While I don't agree with this guy's statement on Project glass, he "gets it"! He understands the bullshit the industry is putting gamers through and all for some quick cash. Gamers need to vote with their wallets this fall and they need to vote this kind of DRM out of existence!

Reactions: tronic307

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, I got it ...I'm not complacent to the Sony/Microsoft's recent crap decisions.
About the Ouya, not copying the Sony/Microsoft bad decisions only avoid a insta death ...but doesn't make it more appealing to me than it ever were in the past. It's still the meh android player of always..

(as a joke exemple, potatoes "are NOT sticking a HD camera in your living room, tracking your movements, forcing you to pay extra for used games and telling you how to use your content." ...but I see no need to include them in the list of things to buy right now, together with the Wii U and the Ouya :P ..they keep being as relevant as they ever were)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I got it ...I'm not complacent to the Sony/Microsoft recent crap decisions.
About the Ouya, not copying the Sony/Microsoft bad decisions only avoid a insta death ...but doesn't make it more appealing to me than it ever were in the past. It's still the meh android player of always..

(as a joke exemple, potatoes "are NOT sticking a HD camera in your living room, tracking your movements, forcing you to pay extra for used games and telling you how to use your content." ...but I see no need to include them in the list of things to buy right now, together with the Wii U and the Ouya :P ..they keep being as relevant as they ever were)

I feel where you are coming from. I'm sure we can both agree that gaming right now is in a sorry state. It's really sad to wake up and be more excited about the already released and past games and consoles I have yet to play with more than the stuff that's on its way. That alone says a lot about where gaming is heading.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooo yes, cry Sony fanbois, your tears taste so good.

...Are you so desperate for good news that you gloat over unsubstantiated rumors? Seriously?

As I said, this may well be true, but there's absolutely nothing to support it - except that some people really, really, really want it to be true. Maybe we should hold off on the vindictive snipes until we know what's actually going on?

I feel like that's a good policy in general, really.

Reactions: tronic307 and Foxi4

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys remember that the PC has a GREAT used games market.

I know the reasoning is "Well PC games are always so cheap" but that's not always the case while used games are reliably cheaper.

Also if you're going to bring piracy into the equation you should probably stop typing.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not the issue here. Nintendo and Ouya are NOT sticking a HD camera in your living room, tracking your movements, forcing you to pay extra for used games and telling you how to use your content. -OK well Ouya is more open than Wii U but you get my point. "Microshit" and if true, "Fony" are pushing the boundaries of home privacy in nasty ways that I just don't like

Watch the above video. While I don't agree with this guy's statement on Project glass, he "gets it"! He understands the bullshit the industry is putting gamers through and all for some quick cash. Gamers need to vote with their wallets this fall and they need to vote this kind of DRM out of existence!

Protip: If you want to be taken serious in a conversation, don't stoop low and say "Microshit" or "Fony" like a babbling retard.

Also you can spout "Gamers need to vote with their wallets" all you want. If you had a petition of 100k people saying they were going to do that, you'd be lucky if you got 10k to actually follow through.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I feel where you are coming from. I'm sure we can both agree that gaming right now is in a sorry state. It's really sad to wake up and be more excited about the already released and past games and consoles I have yet to play with more than the stuff that's on its way. That alone says a lot about where gaming is heading.

Indeed. Maybe there's some light at the end of the E3's tunnel ...but I'm not THAT optimistic ..hope things get a better picture by then though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper