General questions about modding your wii.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by FullgoreEXE, Dec 20, 2008.

Dec 20, 2008
  1. FullgoreEXE
    OP

Member FullgoreEXE GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Typical questions, really.

What are the downsides to modding your Wii? What are the risks? Which solderless one is considered best? I got my Wii on the day it came out, if that helps any.

2. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    With a launch Wii, you basically get to pick whatever chip you like, and there is no single "best" chip. For the most part once they're working there's no practical difference between chips, with the exception of small features like Wiikey2's update blocker. Being able to update is important, IMHO, although not everyone agrees. If it were me I'd go for a Free-Clip (they're made by the Wii-Clip people) and program it with YAOSM. If you can't find a Free-Clip locally they're available cheap at DX, although apparently they're really slow to ship them. If you wanted a brand-name, then you could go for any of the big name chips on the market. The older chips are going to be cheaper (and possibly even more stable since they're simpler), but the newer chips are far more likely to have updates available should the need arise.