Status
Not open for further replies.

GBAtemps' Gaming Fight Club #1: Super Mario 64 vs Banjo Kazooie

smackdown.jpeg

Hello everyone and welcome to a new GBAtemp Series by yours truly, the GBATEMP FIGHT CLUB!
Here's how Fight Club throws down tempers and temptresses. I'm going to take either two franchises, 2 characters, 2 specific games, or 2 of SOMETHING gaming related, and I'm going to pit them against each other for your enjoyment. But how do we declare a victor you may ask? That's where you come in!

The way this will work is I will give a brief synopsis of the two rivaling entities, and leave it up to all of you to vote and debate which one is the better being, and why that is. A combination of the poll votes, and the arguments made in this thread, will determine the victor! I will take poll votes into account for the most part, but the supporting arguments will also heavily decide who the victor will truly be.

This will be an attempted weekly act every Monday, where a victor will be chosen and a new round will begin, so you will have one week to argue and determine who or what the better of the two is. So without further ado, let's get to our competitors this week:

SUPER MARIO 64 VS. BANJO KAZOOIE

Two of the most iconic collectathon adventure games of all time on the Nintendo 64. If you haven't played the one, you probably played the other, or even played both as a kid, but both are the most beloved of their genre.

super-mario-64-star-locations-guide-walkthrough-screenshot.jpg

Super Mario 64 pioneered the 3D adventure genre with superb gameplay, an enormous ammount of content, a memorable world with unforgettable environments, and the establishment of gaming mechanics utilized to this day.

We can thank Super Mario 64 for the use of 360 degree analog control, dynamic cameras, and a sense of real gaming freedom we hadn't experienced before. We can also thank it for giving us an unforgettable gaming experience that is regarded as the greatest adventure game of all time.

So what of the competition?

Banjo-Kazooie.jpg

Banjo Kazooie took what made Super Mario 64 a juggernaut, and expanded upon it. It took colorful and expansive environments, and enhanced and improved them. It took level design and exploration and broadened its horizons even farther. Boasting wonderful textures, solid frame-rate, and fantastic sound design, critics then referred to it as the biggest competitor and successor to SM64.

With these sentiments in mind, let's begin the arguments! Which one deserves to be called the better of the two? Can you make a solid case for why one is better than the other? It's all up to you!

If you have a suggestion for what the next fight should be, leave a post on my profile page!

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Banjo Kazooie

You said it yourself, Banjo Kazooie expanded on the formula in multiple aspects.
The only means someone would select Mario 64 is if they should either
Firstly; argue that the expansion of formula was poorly executed
or
Secondly; succumb to admission of nostalgia
or
Thirdly; revel in ignorant bliss over having not played it.

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked SM64 quite a bit years ago, and have not played Banjo.
But from watching videos and researching, the data tells me that, as you said, Banjo improved upon Mario 64.
Logically, Banjo-Kazooie wins.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
There's no "logic" to decide which is better. You can't say that just because one game is the logical successor to another that it is objectively better. The same argument could be made that New Super Mario Bros. U could be objectively better than Super Mario Bros. for the NES but in that case it's not necessarily true.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no "logic" to decide which is better. You can't say that just because one game is the logical successor to another that it is objectively better. The same argument could be made that New Super Mario Bros. U could be objectively better than Super Mario Bros. for the NES but in that case it's not necessarily true.
Fair point. It is really all opinion, then.
I apologize for trying to sound smart.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Both games have aged pretty well, and they're the pinnacle of platforming, as far as the N64 goes. But Banjo is superior for reasons already stated, and come on, no one can deny the greatness of Grant Kirkhope's compositions.

Reactions: Deleted User

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SM64, because it did more. Banjo may be the better game, but take away the SM64 formula and design and you have a 'meh' game. People today still point to SM64 when talking about how to make good 3d platformers and more or less good 3rd person games as a whole. Banjo doesn't have anything close to that kind of legacy, it set the standard for... collectathons, which is a tiny fraction of the games made today.

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banjo-Kazooie for the win! XD

Reason:
The game itself feels very polished. I love the story, it has more memorable characters than Mario 64, and... Grant Kirkhope.
Plus, I've Skyped with the developers before, and they are some of the coolest guys I know.

Last edited by Wellington2k,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Banjo is more of a cult classic.
SM64 is a classic in the entirety of the word, if not even a legend on 3D gaming.

SM64 for all the innovations it brought and to show us how delightful and entertaining the 3D world would be from there onwards.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-