Status
Not open for further replies.

GBAtemps' Gaming Fight Club #1: Super Mario 64 vs Banjo Kazooie

smackdown.jpeg

Hello everyone and welcome to a new GBAtemp Series by yours truly, the GBATEMP FIGHT CLUB!
Here's how Fight Club throws down tempers and temptresses. I'm going to take either two franchises, 2 characters, 2 specific games, or 2 of SOMETHING gaming related, and I'm going to pit them against each other for your enjoyment. But how do we declare a victor you may ask? That's where you come in!

The way this will work is I will give a brief synopsis of the two rivaling entities, and leave it up to all of you to vote and debate which one is the better being, and why that is. A combination of the poll votes, and the arguments made in this thread, will determine the victor! I will take poll votes into account for the most part, but the supporting arguments will also heavily decide who the victor will truly be.

This will be an attempted weekly act every Monday, where a victor will be chosen and a new round will begin, so you will have one week to argue and determine who or what the better of the two is. So without further ado, let's get to our competitors this week:

SUPER MARIO 64 VS. BANJO KAZOOIE

Two of the most iconic collectathon adventure games of all time on the Nintendo 64. If you haven't played the one, you probably played the other, or even played both as a kid, but both are the most beloved of their genre.

super-mario-64-star-locations-guide-walkthrough-screenshot.jpg

Super Mario 64 pioneered the 3D adventure genre with superb gameplay, an enormous ammount of content, a memorable world with unforgettable environments, and the establishment of gaming mechanics utilized to this day.

We can thank Super Mario 64 for the use of 360 degree analog control, dynamic cameras, and a sense of real gaming freedom we hadn't experienced before. We can also thank it for giving us an unforgettable gaming experience that is regarded as the greatest adventure game of all time.

So what of the competition?

Banjo-Kazooie.jpg

Banjo Kazooie took what made Super Mario 64 a juggernaut, and expanded upon it. It took colorful and expansive environments, and enhanced and improved them. It took level design and exploration and broadened its horizons even farther. Boasting wonderful textures, solid frame-rate, and fantastic sound design, critics then referred to it as the biggest competitor and successor to SM64.

With these sentiments in mind, let's begin the arguments! Which one deserves to be called the better of the two? Can you make a solid case for why one is better than the other? It's all up to you!

If you have a suggestion for what the next fight should be, leave a post on my profile page!

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Did Rare use custom microcode for either BK and/or BT?
For Tooie I'm completely sure they did. the environments and textures where way too large for the standard microcode, and let's not forget it didn't even need the expansion pak.
Kazooie looks excellent but I'm note sure but from what I read Rare disassembled Nintendo's microcode to create their own and to Nintendo surprise the results where stunning.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Tooie I'm completely sure they did. the environments and textures where way too large for the standard microcode, and let's not forget it didn't even need the expansion pak.
Kazooie looks excellent but I'm note sure but from what I read Rare disassembled Nintendo's microcode to create their own and to Nintendo surprise the results where stunning.
So they picked apart the N's microcode to guide them to creating their own, or did they actually use parts of Nintendo's code in their microcode? I can't imagine Nintendo letting them unless it was completely new code.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
So they picked apart the N's microcode to guide them to creating their own, or did they actually use parts of Nintendo's code in their microcode? I can't imagine Nintendo letting them unless it was completely new code.
Well, that's what I read at neogaf.
But makes sense since Rare was a second party at that time, they probably constructed their microcode from Nintendo's and then showed the results and Nintendo gave them green light. or maybe they just analyzed what they found with their disassembling job and created a microcode from scratch, who knows.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

pas7680

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SM64 for me, it took the genre we all knew and loved and ripped up the rule book and blew us all away. i still fondly remember the first shoshinkai footage of it running and just being gob-smacked - the day i started saving up for one.

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After Banjo came swinging out the gate, it looks like Mario ultimately takes the belt in this first round of GBATemp fight club!

acac52c9dd469955f56a17f23f80809a.jpg

Time to move on to our second round, which will be posted shortly~

Reactions: Monado_III
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn