Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 66th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favourite games and applications with you. The titles we recommend may be "old school" games, a piece of Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!​
This is the first of a special four week look at excellent games of the Gameboy/Gameboy Colour and we begin with one extra special GB classic...​
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
a4c29h.jpg
2mwi5w2.jpg
[prebreak]...Continue Reading...[/prebreak]
Super Mario Land 2 was the follow up to the massively successful first GB title only this time a lot more effort was put into it. The first was more like a portable version of the first game and while I love it to bits, it clearly didn't have as much love put into it like the regular Mario games had. This game however feels just like a fully fledged Mario title and for me is the best portable Mario title going. Why they didn't re-release this as Super Mario Land 2 DX for the Gameboy Colour, completely bemuses me. There wasn't a proper follow up to this game at all, in fact Super Mario Land 3 was the very first game in the excellent Wario Land series. Speaking of Wario, that great greedy anti-hero made his début in this very game as the games loveable villain.​
The story goes a little like this: Just after the events of SML, Mario decides to take a break and go to Strasaland. While he is there Wario puts an evil spell over Mario's World, Mario Land and makes all of it's inhabitants into thinking Wario is awesome and getting them to do his evil bidding...this is why the enemies attack Mario in his own Land...K? Of course there are Goombas and Koopas there too...I guess they are on holiday or Koopa loaned them to Wario...or something. Wario does this so he can take Mario's fancy castle so he can have a palace of his own. In taking the castle, Wario scatters the six Golden Coins that are kept there and Mario needs to go through each of the worlds of this...erm Land to collect a golden coin from each of them, once he has them he can then gain access of his castle again to defeat Wario and rid the kingdom of his magic. For the first time in a Mario platformer, there is no Princess to rescue here. Both Daisy and Peach are safe and well. Why can't they do that for NSMB?​
It played pretty much as you'd expect it to however more floaty than before. This actually feels really good and much more responsive than the previous game. As always there are power ups that help Mario along the way. You still get Mushroom that makes your bigger and take an extra hit, a Fire Flower that'll help you shoot fire and because of the limited colour scheme, this looks different in that Mario now has a feather in his cap to indicate that he has this power, it'll also will let you spin jump just like you can in SMW and of course there is also a Starman power up that'll make you invincible. As well as those, you also collect the Magic Correct which will turn you into Bunny Mario which will make you jump higher and also float (just like Peach in SMB2). Unlike SML, you start in a large over-world map but unlike SMB3/SMW you can play any of the six worlds in whatever order you like. Each world has it's own map and their own number of levels and of course after you complete them all you get to fight a boss. Also unlike SML the game now has a battery so you can save your progress. Another interesting gameplay feature in this title that wasn't repeated again was that rather than collecting coins to get lives, you actually spend them in a neat little roulette mini game on the over-world map. This actually makes the game a bit more difficult than in other titles because lives are harder to come by.​
Graphically, SML2 was as good as the GB could do and the artwork was extremely good. The character design was very different to other Mario titles and a lot of the enemies were never seen again. The sprites were very bold and made up for the lack of colour, in fact this could be one beautiful title if they remade this again in full colour. The level design was just fantastic and again the different to what had come before and even after in the Mario games. The creatures, while still cutesy just looked different to what creatures did in other Mario games.​
The sound is the usual iconic awesomeness that you would expect of the 8-bit Mario titles though some of the sound effects were very different. Jumping and collecting coins sound the same as ever but when Mario dies...it just doesn't sound right having a different theme playing. The music was mostly pretty damn excellent and at times very different to other Mario games. The music was composed by Kazumi Totaka who has also done Links Awakening, Animal Crossing, Yoshi's Story and Luigi's Mansion and like with most of the games this game does feature his famous tune (in video game terms) "Totakas Song" which was first put into the spiritual predecessor of StarFox, X which was also on the GB. In this game you can hear it on the "Game Over" screen after exactly 2mins 30secs.​
Overall, perhaps the reason to why Nintendo hasn't revisited this game could be because it doesn't quite feel like a Mario game...but then they did put SMB2 on All-Stars and also re-released that game for the GBA, not like I disagree with that decision (SMB2 is awesome) but still I am a little sore at how much this GB title is ignored now. In my opinion instead of doing NSMB2, they should have done NSML instead and focused on a 2D sprite title that was a little different because lets face it, we're pretty much tired of the same NSMB formula and while 3D Land was a good game, it wasn't quite the Land title many of us wanted it to be.​
You can now buy this game on 3DS eShop and that was actually the first time you could buy this outside of the GB. For £3.60 this is a bargain, it'll give you a lot of game for your money and is a pretty damn essential download.​
Genre: Platformer
Release Year: 1992
Developer: Nintendo R&D1
Published by: Nintendo
Directed By: Takehiko Hosokawa & Hiroji Kiyotake
Released For: Gameboy / 3DS eShop Virtual Console

If you enjoyed this week's edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

If you would also like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let me know.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like Tetris never left my Gameboy, this never left my lime green gameboy color :) I play this relatively often. Jump in, plow through it, and come back to it again in eight months or so.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played this when I was very young and still play it (rarely) and the major issue is that you cannot save, tho the game isn't very long. I'm sure there are plenty of places you can get 99 lives but without doing that, the farthest I have gotten is the last boss.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Funny, I bought this game just a few days ago.
It could arrive any day now.

I remember playing it when I was at my cousins house when I was little.
I think it was a lot easier than the first Super Mario Land, but a lot more fun.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember getting this game for my birthday when it first came out. I was like 12. I was actually sick that day and had stayed home from school. I slept most of the day until my dad came home from work. I dragged myself out of bed and was going to ask if we could go to the store to get it. Before I could ask he pulled it out of his closet. I unfortuanetly couldn't concentrate too much on the game, but it was awesome dad remembered (mom usually did the gifts).

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Together with Link's Awakening this was my first GB game. (got the GB and both games for christmas many many years ago) Man, I really loved it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first GB title was probably the first handheld game I played that was not on a game and watch (possibly also a game gear). I ended up with the copy of the second after helping a friend clear his house out, a month or so after that it saw me doing not a lot until I finished it which was impressive considering this was probably early DS era and I had lots to do.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've played it in my 3DS, when I had no 3DS/DS games because I was waiting my friend to bring some games from the US...

For me, it's my second favorite 2d mario game behind SMW.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I loved the first one because I played it when I was a kid, but never got into the second one when I played it years later.

I played this when I was very young and still play it (rarely) and the major issue is that you cannot save, tho the game isn't very long. I'm sure there are plenty of places you can get 99 lives but without doing that, the farthest I have gotten is the last boss.
Did you read the post at all? This is about the sequel, and it clearly states in the post that you can save.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the first one because I played it when I was a kid, but never got into the second one when I played it years later.

Did you read the post at all? This is about the sequel, and it clearly states in the post that you can save.
No I know it was this game, and I'm not sure why I remember not being able to save? Did it send you back so many levels or something when you ran out of lives?

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
No I know it was this game, and I'm not sure why I remember not being able to save? Did it send you back so many levels or something when you ran out of lives?

You ran out of lives = you have to beat ALL boss levels again, in order to earn the 6 golden coins.
So be sure to have a bunch of lives in the last level.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi