GBAtemp Game of the Year 2017 Voting: PlayStation

gbatemp_game_of_the_year_2017.jpg

2017 is coming to a close, and it's time to remember all of the great titles that released this year. Our Game of the Year voting thread will be a bit different this year, to allow for more games to have a moment in the spotlight, and to separate releases by console, for a more even style of voting and representation. And with that, we'll be starting out with the games that released for Sony's PlayStation 4. Games that were released on multiple platforms will also appear if they launched on, or had a 2017 release on the PS4.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
again... Crash Bandicoot came out in 1997 and everyone had it... not a 2017 game

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

skyrim shoulda made the list too then

Are you being stupid on purpose?

You're using console ports to argue regional release dates, which makes no sense. They're two different things.
It makes sense to go by the worldwide release date, especially on an English speaking site that consists of mostly non-japanese people. It's the standard way to handle things. Japan has its own game of the year awards. In fact, i'm pretty sure Persona 5 won some 2016 awards in Japan.
Why would we use their release date for a game we can't fucking play?

Skyrim was just a port. I'd say remakes are arguable though, but that's a whole other topic you just accidentally fell face first into while trying to have a point.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you being stupid on purpose?

You're using console ports to argue regional release dates, which makes no sense. They're two different things.
It makes sense to go by the worldwide release date, especially on an English speaking site that consists of mostly non-japanese people. It's the standard way to handle things. Japan has its own game of the year awards. In fact, i'm pretty sure Persona 5 won some 2016 awards in Japan.
Why would we use their release date for a game we can't fucking play?

Skyrim was just a port. I'd say remakes are arguable though, but that's a whole other topic you just accidentally fell face first into while trying to have a point.

its still a 2016 regardless if they only had it in japanese

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its still a 2016 regardless if they only had it in japanese
since it wasn't voted on in 2016 here, it's in 2017. your argument only holds water if it was competing with last years games for our money and time. it was not. it competed with this year's games. even if we pretend it was lost in shipment for 6 months and that's why it was 2017 before we played, we'd put it in with 2017 games. because we're using logic here, not technicalities.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Deleted User

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since it wasn't voted on in 2016 here, it's in 2017. your argument only holds water if it was competing with last years games for our money and time. it was not. it competed with this year's games. even if we pretend it was lost in shipment for 6 months and that's why it was 2017 before we played, we'd put it in with 2017 games. because we're using logic here, not technicalities.

all the 2017 games listed are terrible therefor a 2016 game is added in. FFXV is still unfinished so it should be a 2017 goty candidate with the addition of Episodes and Comrades

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all the 2017 games listed are terrible therefor a 2016 game is added in. FFXV is still unfinished so it should be a 2017 goty candidate with the addition of Episodes and Comrades
ahh, you're reaching now, ignoring my comments because you can't deny its validity. I accept.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Are you saying they can't vote for it because its a 2016 Japan release?

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahh, you're reaching now, ignoring my comments because you can't deny its validity. I accept.

p5 is a 2016 game, maybe if the company wasn't scared of competition they woulda released it simultaneously and made it eligible for 2017 goty candidate.

'well mario oddysey is 2018 goty because everyone in afghanistan didnt get a chance to buy it in 2017'
"no, final fantasy X for ps2 is 2017 goty because china citizens wasnt allowed to own a ps2"

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p5 is a 2016 game, maybe if the company wasn't scared of competition they woulda released it simultaneously and made it eligible for 2017 goty candidate.

'well mario oddysey is 2018 goty because everyone in afghanistan didnt get a chance to buy it in 2017'
"no, final fantasy X for ps2 is 2017 goty because china citizens wasnt allowed to own a ps2"
and if those sites were based in afghanistan or china, you'd have a good argument. As the basis is this site is an English only site, the criteria is when was it released in English, as well as other considerations.

sorry it takes more than a little bit of critical thinking to figure this out.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and if those sites were based in afghanistan or china, you'd have a good argument. As the basis is this site is an English only site, the criteria is when was it released in English, as well as other considerations.

sorry it takes more than a little bit of critical thinking to figure this out.

and Jared Goff is 2017 Rookie of the year too because he wasnt too good in 2016

and lets add mariokart8dx for best racer 2017 because nobody owned a wiiu

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and Jared Goff is 2017 Rookie of the year too because he wasnt too good in 2016

and you continue to show your inability to understand the difference :P

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

So no one can vote for it then because its a 2016 release to you? So no one in the west will be able to vote for it ever?
They couldn't vote for it last year since it didn't get a western release, many westerners don't speak Japanese, so they didn't play it.
But I guess to you they can't vote for it this year because its not a 2017 release. The west version is a 2017 release.

Do you understand context? At all? Mario Kart got release in the west before 2017, Persona didn't. Do you understand that not everything fits neatly into descriptions, which is why we look at events, regional release dates and things around it to make a logical judgment on where to place it. You know a sign of intelligence, and not a robot that strictly adheres to rigid rules.

You're a stupid moron. Lol, I think you just fucking with people now.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no one can vote for it then because its a 2016 release to you? So no one in the west will be able to vote for it ever?
They couldn't vote for it last year since it didn't get a western release, many westerners don't speak Japanese, so they didn't play it.
But I guess to you they can't vote for it this year because its not a 2017 release. The west version is a 2017 release.

Do you understand context? At all? Mario Kart got release in the west before 2017, Persona didn't. Do you understand that not everything fits neatly into descriptions, which is why we look at events, regional release dates and things around it to make a logical judgment on where to place it. You know a sign of intelligence, and not a robot that strictly adheres to rigid rules.

You're a stupid moron. Lol, I think you just fucking with people now.

even as i played it for ps3(a well done port) in early 2017 i thought 'its too bad they didnt simul-release it in 2016(all games destroyed by overwatch in 2016) because it coulda won'

but still... p5 is a 2016 game
....and still nowhere near the top for 2017 goty

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
even as i played it for ps3(a well done port) in early 2017 i thought 'its too bad they didnt simul-release it in 2016(all games destroyed by overwatch in 2016) because it coulda won'

but still... p5 is a 2016 game
....and still nowhere near the top for 2017 goty
Not the western version. Western version is a 2017 release. Pay attention to the word, it says initial. Original Japan release date 2016. West 2017.
If you tell people its a 2016 release they would think people in the west were playing the official English version in 2016, which is a lie.
Which is why we say 2017 for west.

I don't even know if its true they avoided releasing it in the west to avoid competition, or if its because slower localization, but even if they still hold it off for 2017, its still a 2017 release. It just shows you don't understand context at all.

Last edited by SG854,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not the western version. Western version is a 2017 release. Pay attention to the word, it says initial. Original Japan release date 2016. West 2017.
If you tell people its a 2016 release they would think people in the west were playing the official English version in 2016, which is a lie.
Which is why we say 2017 for west.

I don't even know if its true they avoided releasing it in the west to avoid competition, or if its because slower localization, but even if they still hold it off for 2017, its still a 2017 release. It just shows you don't understand context at all.
Sonic Adventure was a launch title for the Dreamcast, but it launched in 1998 in Japan. It released in the US in 1999, yet it's still counted as a 1999 release

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait for the Switch Game of the Year thread, I'll make sure Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gets on the list for you :wub:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0