GBAtemp Game of the Year 2017 Voting: PlayStation

gbatemp_game_of_the_year_2017.jpg

2017 is coming to a close, and it's time to remember all of the great titles that released this year. Our Game of the Year voting thread will be a bit different this year, to allow for more games to have a moment in the spotlight, and to separate releases by console, for a more even style of voting and representation. And with that, we'll be starting out with the games that released for Sony's PlayStation 4. Games that were released on multiple platforms will also appear if they launched on, or had a 2017 release on the PS4.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Chose Nioh, purely because it was the only game on this list that I played a ton of on PS4. The others were either games I have no interest in, never got around to playing (like Horizon Zero Dawn :(), or have PC ports.

Was a close call though, I might've picked RE7 if I actually played it on PS4 instead of PC.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Persona 5 was my GOTY period. While it was vastly inferior to the other games in terms of story and character progression, literally everything else about the game was so far ahead of the previous titles. I can't begin to explain to you how good it was to see the "shadows" in 3D. The dungeons were big, but well paced. Especially now that they are not procedurally generated. It was clear that they wanted to make your time in the dungeons feel more like a part of the game instead of a chore (like P3, P4, and even still in Momentoes).

Horizon was great. I think that Sony knocked it out of the park with this one, but the story was too short and I didn't get as attached to Aloy as I hoped. The NPCs were kinda lifeless feeling and I never really felt a connection with them either. But the combat, exploration, and crafting was so much fun. I finished the game in a few days.

Reactions: DarthDub

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I am die hard football fan, and i know fifa is bulcrap i play from time to time, but it is no GOTY

why the fuck isnt "What Remains of Edith Finch" on list...

i demand the head of who made this list!

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what it should be, but I won't underestimate the alternative opinions of this site's inhabitants, haha.
Hmm, that's very true with gbatemp. Knowing this community pokken would win just because it has pokemon on the front cover even though most people that voted for it never played it. Plus it depends on how they do the Nintendo vote. Will switch and 3ds each get their own vote or will the votes for switch and 3ds be combined in a single Nintendo vote?

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not voting because i haven't played anything on the list. The result isn't much of a surprise, though. :P
Persona 5 was my GOTY period. While it was vastly inferior to the other games in terms of story and character progression, literally everything else about the game was so far ahead of the previous titles.
Erm... Curiosity question here: this is in comparison to previous persona games, right? :unsure:

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
We all know Persona is going to win. All the weebs are going to vote for it.
Doesn't matter if one is a weeb or not to vote for it.
Persona 5 is a very good game, and people voted for it because they enjoyed playing it.

Reactions: DarthDub

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not like turn based games, persona 5 was an impressive exception, that is why I am going to vote for it. The fact that it made me love a genre I do not normally like makes it a game of the year for me. The combat feels so immersive because of how it is combined with the story.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm amazed Horizon is getting so many votes.
That game needed a few more months in the oven. It was pretty damn janky. I only played for like 5 hours and encountered a pretty impressive amount of glitchy moments, horrible hitboxes, and awful invisible walls. Not to mention the story is pretty piss poor, though I admit i'm sure it got better once you leave the Nora savages behind to praise a door by themselves. It's not bad but definitely pretty flawed. But I guess PS4 didn't have a whole lot of exclusives to choose from.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
again... Crash Bandicoot came out in 1997 and everyone had it... not a 2017 game

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The JP release was 2016, worldwide was 2017. Worldwide takes precedent over a single region, in this case.

skyrim shoulda made the list too then

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
again... Crash Bandicoot came out in 1997 and everyone had it... not a 2017 game

skyrim shoulda made the list too then

Show me Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on the PS1 please. Y'know, that great collection of all three Crash games, totally released on the PS1. Oh right, you can't, you're just being a semantic ass. :rolleyes:

A) This was a remake of the original trilogy, it's not even just one game.
B) It's not even a lazy remaster, they legit had to completely rewrite the engine because the PS1 version for each game simply wouldn't work on modern systems.

Also, the Skyrim remaster came out in 2016 on PS4 :rolleyes: even if you're referring to the VR version, we're doing a separate list for VR titles, this is just PS4 releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16