GBAtemp: AceKard in house!

madraving

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
2gab10: thx... -) i guess no one will have any questions after this video -)

if 3 is the fastest why is the ultra 2 the slowest?

i guess it's a software problem -) they'll fix it for sure.

Edit by staff: please STOP double or triple posting! There is an "edit" button on the forums, use it if you want to add something to your messages!

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Here is an example of the problems generated by their proprietary file system:

acespace.jpg

Edit: another example.

acespace2.jpg

gab10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
if 3 is the fastest why is the ultra 2 the slowest?

um...difficult to expain as i am not pro at computer knowledge
it is relate to the akfs file system

akfs manage the space in TF in sequence. like this abcdefg
FAT manage the space as random. like that abefgcb

FAT can read the data even the data is not sequence
but akfs must storge the data in sequence and read in sequence, ie. it can read data faster

pny and kingston have only one block between the space, so it can run faster
other TF cards have more than one block
acespace.jpg

this pic can expain it clearly
you guys can see some free space in the right
they are blocks in the tf
but pny tf only have one block ie, only show one free space in the right

Costello
i think u should change your TF cards
the following cards are Acekard recommend, they only have one block in the TF card. Others TF card may have problem with Acekard.
PNY microSD 1GB
Kingston microSD 1GB(PNY oem)
PNY microSD 512MB
Apacer microSD 512MB(PNY oem)
Kingmax microSD 512MB
AData microSD 512MB(Kingmax oem)

those block is not affect under FAT as data is write and read at random
but under akfs is different
e.g. a 1G TF have 3 blocks
each is about 300M
The first block storged about 280M
if we put a 30M file in TF, it can not place in the first block as it have not enough volume
it will place in the second block, akfs can not put 20M in block 1 and 10M in block 2
as the data is read in sequence
that is same as Costello's case

and one more things
after format to aksf
u can not put the TF to other devices as a memory card
because the devices don't suppout akfs, it is same as win98 don't suppout NTFS
if you need to use as a memory card, you can use windows format the TF card back to FAT

i don't konw, i expain that clearly or not as my english is not good
if you guys don't understand,may be wait pro expain it later

use a right TF
enjoy your acekard
smile.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
To answer the question asked a few posts before:
The acekard manager does not function properly under Linux using Wine. The main window does show up, but it's all messed up. And the software does not detect the microSD card at all, no matter what I tried.
Can't really blame them though, I doubt any other manager (M3, SC, ...) is supported by Wine.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure on all of the following statements, please confirm (all come from previous posts)

1. On first usage of the AceKard Client you format the MicroSD in AKFS.
2. Depending on your storage media, you have to evaluate the order of ROM transferring for maximum capacity.
3. After transferring, deletion of a single ROM can cause deletion of the full card contents.
4. You can't re-format in AKFS from within AceKard Client, you have to re-format in FAT from Windows format, then you can format again in AKFS from the AK Client.

Now a question: if you choose the wrong save type, is it necessary to re-transfer the ROM?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
1) You don't have to. When you format as AKFS, it doesn't actually format your cart, just creates a "virtual file system". You can't see any difference under windows, because windows reads the FAT ("file allocation table", a sort of list of all the files on the card, their sizes, etc.) and the acekard manager doesn't use the FAT. It writes directly on the cart. So, no you don't have to format your card. And even when you do format it, Windows doesn't notice the difference.
2) It has nothing to do with your storage media. You will always have to "evaluate the order of ROM..."
3) This seems rather random. It happens to me almost every time I try do delete a "free space" (but why would you do that...) but deleting roms seems to work.
4) I think using the AKFS is independent of the actual file system used by your card. The acekard manager just writes directly to the card, and doesn't modify the FAT.
5) As far as I know, if you choose the wrong save type, you have to put the microSD card back in your card reader, open the acekard manager, delete the .st file associated to the rom (romname.st) and when you will try to boot the rom the next time, it will ask you to enter a save type again.

gab10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
1) You don't have to. When you format as AKFS, it doesn't actually format your cart, just creates a "virtual file system". You can't see any difference under windows, because windows reads the FAT ("file allocation table", a sort of list of all the files on the card, their sizes, etc.) and the acekard manager doesn't use the FAT. It writes directly on the cart. So, no you don't have to format your card. And even when you do format it, Windows doesn't notice the difference.
2) It has nothing to do with your storage media. You will always have to "evaluate the order of ROM..."
3) This seems rather random. It happens to me almost every time I try do delete a "free space" (but why would you do that...) but deleting roms seems to work.
4) I think using the AKFS is independent of the actual file system used by your card. The acekard manager just writes directly to the card, and doesn't modify the FAT.
5) As far as I know, if you choose the wrong save type, you have to put the microSD card back in your card reader, open the acekard manager, delete the .st file associated to the rom (romname.st) and when you will try to boot the rom the next time, it will ask you to enter a save type again.
you can press Y to change the save type
no need to put back in your card reader
smile.gif

A run the rom
B skip save and run the rom
X use slot2 card
select+right decraese sd read speed
select+left increase sd read speed

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The acekard manager does not function properly under Linux using Wine. The main window does show up, but it's all messed up. And the software does not detect the microSD card at all, no matter what I tried.
Can't really blame them though, I doubt any other manager (M3, SC, ...) is supported by Wine.
M3 Manager works well enough under WINE for a friend to use it. Probably the G6 client works too.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Can't really blame them though, I doubt any other manager (M3, SC, ...) is supported by Wine.M3 Manager works well enough under WINE for a friend to use it. Probably the G6 client works too.
QUOTE(libredr @ Nov 23 2006, 10:43 PM)I can confirm M3 manager works well under Linux with Wine.
What would have been nic is a Java client: it would have been multi-platform from the start.
SC Software works here with Wine, too
biggrin.gif

Anything that runs natively on my OS would be welcome
wink.gif
. Someone should start reverse engineering SC/M3 etc. patches and add that to Ucon64.

P.S.
Thanks for testing, Costello!

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Still.. if you take into account the end of mem card storage problem and the download and play hiccup,.. it would seem that this is the only cart that is truely 100% comptable at this moment in time.

Not bad if the prices are kept in the budget range.

Kamgusta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
It doesn't seem a great card.
The strange file system seems like "hey-see-we-don't-use-any-patch", but it is just like patching roms as the old days.

Read, if the acekard team is up front about the information and what they've said is correct, then it is supporting clean roms. The "patching" magic is just interfacing with a new file system of AKFS. Same thing happens when you copy information from FAT16 to NTFS in windows, except it's natively supported.
Who cares about supporting clean R0Ms, if I still have to use a manager for moving them to the Card?
This is just like patching R0Ms, even if you don't physically do it.
That's not all... The FS is buggy and I can't drag&drop files.
CONS>PROS

CronoTrig

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Still.. if you take into account the end of mem card storage problem and the download and play hiccup,.. it would seem that this is the only cart that is truely 100% comptable at this moment in time.

I'm pretty sure that the fact that the AceKard is 100% compatible and the empty memory space issue go hand in hand. That's the way the OS works, and it would probably require a huge rewrite of the code to have it not create the empty spaces.

Have fun, AceKard buyers.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm pretty sure that the fact that the AceKard is 100% compatible and the empty memory space issue go hand in hand. That's the way the OS works, and it would probably require a huge rewrite of the code to have it not create the empty spaces.

well exactly the point... the few of us in the know who can get vania2(POR) and ultimate spiderman running on slower setups will no longer be exclusive since the software seems to dictate the solution for end-users who are not to tech savvy... savvy
wink.gif

No one else here think that the fact is does indeed have 100% compatabilty a decent enough + point ?? be fair no other cart can claim this ...... even the rocket reviewed (9.5!! 9.5!!) ds-x can't manage that
wink.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't seem a great card.
The strange file system seems like "hey-see-we-don't-use-any-patch", but it is just like patching roms as the old days.

Read, if the acekard team is up front about the information and what they've said is correct, then it is supporting clean roms. The "patching" magic is just interfacing with a new file system of AKFS. Same thing happens when you copy information from FAT16 to NTFS in windows, except it's natively supported.
Who cares about supporting clean R0Ms, if I still have to use a manager for moving them to the Card?
This is just like patching R0Ms, even if you don't physically do it.
That's not all... The FS is buggy and I can't drag&drop files.
CONS>PROS

Truth is it's too early to tell how well the AKFS operates. Hmm, what's the difference (seeing the gui) between selecting a rom to transfer it selecting a save size versus draggin the rom onto the card? One takes maybe 5 seconds longer than the other? And the tradeoff is 100% compatibility? Maybe there's something I'm not seeing in people's pt about drag and drop, yeah it's convenient but to me it's not a deciding factor in purchasing a flashcart. Yes apparently the software is buggy.....but that once again has too many factors I'm not going to get into. It doesn't help the staff here reviewing the cart can't read chinese and maybe adding to the frustrations of constantly trial and error to perform seemless tasks that need slight bugs ironed out. I'm not trying to make people buy this cart of giving this cart a nods of the head, hell I don't even have it in my possession. But I think some of the points brought up here as negative is just subjective conjecture. And thanks to the admins for giving good information on how the cart's working out and handling AKFS.

CronoTrig

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

well exactly the point... the few of us in the know who can get vania2(POR) and ultimate spiderman running on slower setups will no longer be exclusive since the software seems to dictate the solution for end-users who are not to tech savvy... savvy
wink.gif

No one else here think that the fact is does indeed have 100% compatabilty a decent enough + point ?? be fair no other cart can claim this ...... even the rocket reviewed (9.5!! 9.5!!) ds-x can't manage that
wink.gif

AceKard isn't 100% compatible: Download Play fails on many games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: