GBAtemp: AceKard in house!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Nov 22, 2006.

Nov 22, 2006

GBAtemp: AceKard in house! by shaunj66 at 3:12 PM (17,552 Views / 0 Likes) 167 replies

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

GBAtemp: AceKard in house!

We've got it

We've just received a package from FedEx - our AceKard samples! We have them in our hands now and have begun initial testing. Have any quick questions you want answered regarding the AceKard? Post your questions (please keep them simple!) in this topic!

The GBAtemp review should be up in the next couple of days.

2. Teun

Member Teun GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Yeah baby! looks hot

I don't have any questions now, but I definately wanna read the review! [​IMG]

3. boomerz

Newcomer boomerz Newbie

Brazil
    Cool!

How is it build? Does it need to shave some plastic off, like the DS-Xtreme? Can it damage the DS internal conectors?

What about compatibility?

What kind of savegames does it support?

Does the internal chip has the infamous "burn mark" like the ones in DS-X?

Does it break easy?

How is the package?

Any manuals?

How is the OS?

I'll be waiting for the review!

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

Does it need the nds to be flashed?
    Can we use the supercard or m3 as an expansion pack for it?
    How does it feel to use their new format system on the sd card?
    Have Fun playing with it.

5. Siouxsie

Newcomer Siouxsie Member

Sweden
    Regarding to boomerz' post, The DS-X doesn't need to be modified in any way to be run - I have one that worked fine from the beginning and still does. There was just some dude who had a problem which he solved by scraping what he thought was excess plastic off.

Also looking forward to the review, although I'm prefectly happy with my DS-X =)

6. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    Q: How is it build? Does it need to shave some plastic off, like the DS-Xtreme? Can it damage the DS internal conectors?
    A: The OVERALL build quality is good, and the plastic surrounding the NDS connectors are clean with no excess plastic. But the card is an EXTREMELY tight fit in the DS slot. Their is a large chip underneath the label that sticks out and the whole cart rubs against both sides of the NDS slot as you insert it. When trying to eject, the cart doesn't pop out, and the spring inside the DS slot slowly forces the card out as it rubs against the sides. [​IMG] You have to use your thumb to pry the card out (though it will come out itself eventually [​IMG]).

Q: What about compatibility?
    A: Sorry it's too early to say.

Q: What kind of savegames does it support?
    A: See above.

Q: Does the internal chip has the infamous "burn mark" like the ones in DS-X?
    A: I haven't taken it apart (yet).

Q: Does it break easy?
    A: I should hope not! [​IMG]

Q: How is the package?
    A: Everything is in Chinese atm, even the firmware/software. Apart from that it's pretty good. All cardboard though. See pics.

Q: Any manuals?
    A: Yes but it's all Chinese. Argh.

Q: How is the OS?
    A: Very nice so far. Clean and simple, and nice progress bars to let you know what it's doing (would help more if I could read Chinese!).

Q: Does it need the nds to be flashed?
    A: No. It works on any unflashed/flashed DS. It uses NoPass methods.

Q: Can we use the supercard or m3 as an expansion pack for it?
    A: I don't know what you mean by expansion pack, but it has a PassMe mode to boot slot 2 devices.

Q: How does it feel to use their new format system on the sd card?
    A: Bloody annoying. You can't open the card in Windows explorer. You have to use their own software (which is buggy and limited atm to view and write contents).

7. digital_sin

Member digital_sin GBAtemp Regular

Egypt
    hey guys, i've been waiting for this one to come out for so long so i can finally decide which one to get, acekard or ds-xtreme.

anyways, i've got a couple of questions about the cart.
    1)support for download and play? flashed or unflashed?
    2)does it really use clean roms, or is it just another "patch on the fly" kind of cart? since you can only write on the cart using their own software, so i'm thinking that this is the case here.

i've got a ton of questions but these can wait untill the review comes out. i know you guys are busy reviewing it right now.

8. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    *It´s the Micro SD slot ok?-Seems a little fragile-
    *Why is there a VHS tape? [​IMG]

9. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How fast is the bootup? Is there a splash screen? Does it take long to load games?

the tightness that you mentioned scares me...i wouldn't want my springs to break

10. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    Q: support for download and play? flashed or unflashed?
    A: Initial tests show no games are working with download play to unflashed DS (same problems as older flash kits such as the M3 or SC). Sending to a flashed DS appears to be ok.

Q: does it really use clean roms?
    A: As it uses it's own software to move ROMs to the card with a progress bar, I'm going to have to assume that it does patch them in some way.

Q: It´s the Micro SD slot ok?-Seems a little fragile-
    A: It's quite good, it's spring loaded too. [​IMG]

Q: Why is there a VHS tape? [​IMG]
    A: Because my room is a dump.

Q: How fast is the bootup? Is there a splash screen? Does it take long to load games?
    A: No splash screen. If there's EEPROM on the card then it backs it up on boot, but this takes about 1 second. The ROMs take a few seconds to boot depending on size (there's a progress bar to help).

11. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Exciting news! I'm looking forward to the review, and reading more about how the actual software works, and writes to microSD [​IMG] Please can you test the NDS Browser too (inconjunction with an SC/M3 patch)

12. monkeymachine

Member monkeymachine GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Looks like all the essentials questions have been posted so I'm looking forward to the review! Sounds quite promising so far.

The market needs products like this for other manufacturers to get their act together, even just to douse the DS-X fanboyism going around..

13. stinkingbob

Newcomer stinkingbob Advanced Member

Hey Shaun, few questions for you:

1) What are your overall first impressions of the AceKard so far in comparison to the DS-X?
    2) How long does it take the software to xfer 1 rom onto the AceKard?
    3) what errors have you encountered so far?
    3) Based upon ease of use and compatibility, would you go with the AceKard or ds-x?
    4) Do yoou know the approx cost of the Acekard?
    5) I have a concern with the tight fit. Over time, do you think that this will damage the NDS or the Acekard itself?
    6) How old is your monitor ? (I never knew Hyundai made monitors!)

Thanks,
    B.

14. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I have received the Acekard too (well we got two units at home actually) so I think I can answer some of your questions.
    1) As far as I can see the only good point with the Acekard is its DS rom compatibility. There you have your answer. Edit: oh and the Acekard works as a passme with all the slot-2 solution [​IMG] this is a good point
    2) I'll let shaun answer this one
    3) Well the download play doesn't work.
    3 bis) The Acekard uses a chinese OS, chinese software, chinese manual. DS-X is drag & drop. (facts) Your choice
    4) The Acekard is cheap [​IMG] you get what you pay for. I *heard* the price would be around $40 but I doubt it, that sounds too cheap. Online stores will want to make money with it so they'll price it higher.
    5) Honestly I dont think it would damage your DS. I've tried inserting and ejecting it a couple of times, it's OK. It is annoying, but I don't believe it's a danger.

15. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    Q: What are your overall first impressions of the AceKard so far in comparison to the DS-X?
    A: I don't want to compare it to anything atm because I've not had enough experience at the moment. I wouldn't want to come across as biased.

Q: How long does it take the software to xfer 1 rom onto the AceKard?
    A: It's fast, actual results will be in the review.

Q: what errors have you encountered so far?
    A: Download play not working. Castlevania intro lags.

Q: Based upon ease of use and compatibility, would you go with the AceKard or ds-x?
    A: I don't want to compare it to anything atm because I've not had enough experience at the moment. I wouldn't want to come across as biased.

Q: Do yoou know the approx cost of the Acekard?
    A: No idea.

Q: I have a concern with the tight fit. Over time, do you think that this will damage the NDS or the Acekard itself?
    A: Unlikely. It doesn't feel like it's breaking anything, just a bit tight is all.

Q: How old is your monitor ? (I never knew Hyundai made monitors!)
    A: lol, 7 years? Apparently they do. [​IMG]

Edit: Costello beat me to some of the questions. D'oh.

16. Siouxsie

Newcomer Siouxsie Member

Sweden
    I've got a monitor, 19 inch, true flat CRT, by Hyundai. I think it's about ight years old, but I don't know, could be six-seven.
    It's got the same logo as shaun's, and the same button and LED configuration as shown on his pic, although it's dark, not white. =)

17. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Since I'm obsessed with Linux lately: does the Acekard software work on Linux and/or MacOs with Wine?

Does Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam work?

18. stinkingbob

Newcomer stinkingbob Advanced Member

I figure the AceKard will sell for around $80 then.
    If the software and manual can be xlated(which I am sure someone will do) into English, then will the Acekard give the ds-x a run for its money?
    Personally, I like the drag and drop feature of the DS-X. 3-5 seconds and you are done. Now, to go back to the days of the gba flashcarts where you have to use software to xfer a rom onto a cart and wait and wait for it to happen, I don't know. Plus, where is the customer support? Who do you go to if you have problems and questions?
    ds-x has great customer support and you can even get a response back from the lead engineers. Lastly, acekard may be cheap, but when you figure in that extra $14- $20 for international shipping, plus, you have to buy your own mini-sd card, the question is: is it really better than the ds-x?
    Lets see about the slot 1 ninja.....
    B.
    Edit: I just read Shauns post on the speed of the xfer, so scratch my coment about waiting.

19. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    Q: Does Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam work?
    A: Yes.

The English version of the AceKard will be announced soon as I said in a previous news topic. So those wanting one should hold off until the English version (though you MAY be able to use an English firmware on a Chinese card). English versions will eventually be available.

20. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I have Wine installed on my PC (under FC5), I'll try it later.
    Tony Hawk's works