Homebrew GBARunner2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the last version that works on DSi with Hiya and DSiMenu++? I've tested a few versions and cannot find the one that works correctly. I keep getting TEST on the touch screen. Looking for the most updated working version and I figure the one from 2/2018 is pretty dated by now. Not even sure if SD saving existed back then. I don't think it is a ROM issue since nothing loads at all. I cannot even choose a game to play. I think the old version provided creates a save but won't read them. Unless .sav files made in other programs don't port over.

Also, which version has the most compatibility on DSi? With there being 4 versions I hoped there was one that worked more than the rest. Any chance of a merged version that allows you to choose arm7/arm9 and cache settings for each game?

Hope compatibility improves as well. Very promising but I figure it can grow from here. Some games that I run crash after I start the game itself but boot fine. Is there a reason for this? I hope the compatibility list gets updated soon. Some games on there say they do not work and I cannot wait to play them. Pokemon Emerald, Mother 1, etc.

Last edited by Deleted member 469291,
D

Deleted User

What is the last version that works on DSi with Hiya and DSiMenu++? I've tested a few versions and cannot find the one that works correctly. I keep getting TEST on the touch screen. Looking for the most updated working version and I figure the one from 2/2018 is pretty dated by now. Not even sure if SD saving existed back then. I don't think it is a ROM issue since nothing loads at all. I cannot even choose a game to play. I think the old version provided creates a save but won't read them. Unless .sav files made in other programs don't port over.

Also, which version has the most compatibility on DSi? With there being 4 versions I hoped there was one that worked more than the rest. Any chance of a merged version that allows you to choose arm7/arm9 and cache settings for each game?

Hope compatibility improves as well. Very promising but I figure it can grow from here. Some games that I run crash after I start the game itself but boot fine. Is there a reason for this? I hope the compatibility list gets updated soon. Some games on there say they do not work and I cannot wait to play them. Pokemon Emerald, Mother 1, etc.
I update the compatibility list on a daily basis.

Reactions: Garcimak

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Arm7 versions should work with dsimenu++.

Maybe I can do that some time. Iirc the extra pieces of code that are added when compiling with cache on are not in time critical sections.

I'm doing my best to keep improving the compatibility. It is not always easy to say why games crash later on while they boot fine. Three reasons I can think of are some kind of timing deadlock (wario land 4, mario and luigi superstar saga); games executing code from some high address which is currently not supported; or games using ldm with writeback and the register in rlist (does not always crash though, depends on the code, but always gives wrong results). Among other reasons that are often very hard to find.

firke_the_one

*insert custom title*
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I can do that. Although I have not really heard anyone with the corruption issue anymore. It's annoying that I can't say if it's really a thing or something that was caused by the sd or flashcard of a certain person.
Can confirm that saving corrupts the SD card. After saving in pokemon ruby, I went to pc to put the new bootstrap in the _nds folder and the folder was corrupt. Letting windows to try and fix it won't help, at least in my case

D

Deleted User

I had to repair my sd card with the repair program a few times. I have these issues when testing other Emulators for the 3DS/Wii.
I´m not sure if this is because of gbarunner2 or my sd card. At the very least I never lost any data.

Last edited by ,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can confirm that saving corrupts the SD card. After saving in pokemon ruby, I went to pc to put the new bootstrap in the _nds folder and the folder was corrupt. Letting windows to try and fix it won't help, at least in my case
Can you reproduce it? If so, please get me a dump of your sd card before and after corruption.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm7 versions should work with dsimenu++.

Maybe I can do that some time. Iirc the extra pieces of code that are added when compiling with cache on are not in time critical sections.

I'm doing my best to keep improving the compatibility. It is not always easy to say why games crash later on while they boot fine. Three reasons I can think of are some kind of timing deadlock (wario land 4, mario and luigi superstar saga); games executing code from some high address which is currently not supported; or games using ldm with writeback and the register in rlist (does not always crash though, depends on the code, but always gives wrong results). Among other reasons that are often very hard to find.

Thanks for your reply! I did get the arm7 version working. Kinda. I booted one game and it froze, so I reset and tried booting gbarunner2 again... Nothing. Just a white screen. I deleted the .sav and the .GBA of the game i ran. Nothing. Then I tried deleting the .nds and replacing it. Nope.

SD doesn't seem to be corrupted. Nothing happens on my PC and all DS and GB games run fine on other emus.

D

Deleted User

Thanks for your reply! I did get the arm7 version working. Kinda. I booted one game and it froze, so I reset and tried booting gbarunner2 again... Nothing. Just a white screen. I deleted the .sav and the .GBA of the game i ran. Nothing. Then I tried deleting the .nds and replacing it. Nope.

SD doesn't seem to be corrupted. Nothing happens on my PC and all DS and GB games run fine on other emus.
What game did you try to boot?

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Dodain47 Do you think it would be wise to tempoarly disable save file creation and as such only save if a .sav file is already provided? I'll then provide a blank save file people can use.

Last edited by Gericom,
Reactions: dsaltiveri
D

Deleted User

Pokemon Sapphire with a SRAM patch.
I played a sram patched version of Pokemon Sapphire (USA, Europe) (Rev 2) with both arm7/arm9 wramicache versions on my DS Flashcard.
The arm7/arm9 version runs okay (it runs a bit slow and has sound issues). The wramicache version is the one that freezes for me after the licensed by screen. Maybe you want to avoid that version for now.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played a sram patched version of Pokemon Sapphire (USA, Europe) (Rev 2) with both arm7/arm9 wramicache versions on my DS Flashcard.
The arm7/arm9 version runs okay (it runs a bit slow and has sound issues). The wramicache version is the one that freezes for me after the licensed by screen. Maybe you want to avoid that version for now.

I did not even get that far, the game did not even load. Immediate whitescreen and it was not the wramicache version.

D

Deleted User

I did not even get that far, the game did not even load. Immediate whitescreen and it was not the wramicache version.
Maybe your issue gets resolved in the future. In the meantime you could look for a DS Flashcard. Some are rather cheap and easy to find on garagesales,fleemarkets,internet etc.

D

Deleted User

I wouldn't say "solve" more like "avoid". And I probably can't fix it as long as I can't reproduce the issue which is really annoying.
Hm, I see. Do you have an idea how to recognise the sd corruption on the card?

Last edited by ,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hm, I see. Do you have an idea how to recognise the sd corruption on the card?
Hmm, not really sure. Maybe some way to test it would be to create a small sd image of like 128MB or so and try to fragment it or so. Make some folders with some files, maybe also create checksums of some big files. Then write it to the sd and try running a game that doesn't have a save yet. Check the card and checksums on pc, if something is weird, dump it. Otherwise try fragmenting some more and retry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-