GBARunner2 on YSMenu Not Loading Save Files Made by GBARunner

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this back in October, 2021 and didn't get any answers so my DS has gone mostly untouched because I was annoyed by it (Also because I like to play games in order and since several I wanted to play were GBA ones- I was discouraged).

I am using YSMenu with the preinstalled emulators, including GBARunner2. Unlike most people here, I have not had a problem with the emulator launching or saving any of the roms I have tested this far, but it will not recognize the .sav file that was made using the emulator.

I did not put ANY save files on the card and tried four or five games making new saves through the emulator and when I save and exit, turn it off and back on, the games act like there are no save files, though when I pop it back into the computer, it is showing the save files.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the emulators, but either received errors or had it continue with the problem I was having previously. Any help at all would be appreciated!!!

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YSMenu doesn't have preinstalled emulators. If you had one then you likely downloaded some bundle off the internet, probably from a video guide, which would probably have super outdated stuff. (like YSMenu itself, and of course GBARunner2)

GBARunner2 loads just fine with my DSTT and YSmenu.

If a guide you followed told you to install YSmenu there's a good chance you should actually double check if your flashcart actually supports YSMenu before doing anything it says because people do not understand that kernels are flashcart dependent (these kind of guides bricked many flashcarts).

You can check your flashcart compatibility here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

The actual recommended version of GBARunner2 is here: https://github.com/unresolvedsymbol/GBARunner2-DSL-Enhanced/releases

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw you replied on my posts I made across different subreddits, thank you for taking the time to reply;

I have an r4 SDHC card (full card reads; "2021 R4 3DS Upgrade SDHC Revolution for 3DS DSi XL/LL DSL DS RTS Lite") and used this link previously to double-check my compatibility, but just formatted the card and started fresh with the YSMenu. I followed the instructions on there for the corresponding folder.

I downloaded fresh copies of the GBARunner2 and LameBoy emulators and dropped them on the card as well. I was not entirely certain which GBARunner2 file I should be using, but tested GBARunner2_arm7dldi_ds first.

Once I copied some games on to test it, I booted it up. Allowed me to select the r4 cartridge, but when I clicked on it, it loaded a white screen with the outline of the micro sd card in rea with a questions mark and the work menu.

I popped it back out and rechecked everything and instead removed the emulators and games an left only a couple DS games in the games folder. I still am receiving a white screen with a question mark and the word menu underneath it.

So running and copying a fresh copy of YSMenu effectively seems to have broken it.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw you replied on my posts I made across different subreddits, thank you for taking the time to reply;

I have an r4 SDHC card (full card reads; "2021 R4 3DS Upgrade SDHC Revolution for 3DS DSi XL/LL DSL DS RTS Lite") and used this link previously to double-check my compatibility, but just formatted the card and started fresh with the YSMenu. I followed the instructions on there for the corresponding folder.

I downloaded fresh copies of the GBARunner2 and LameBoy emulators and dropped them on the card as well. I was not entirely certain which GBARunner2 file I should be using, but tested GBARunner2_arm7dldi_ds first.

Once I copied some games on to test it, I booted it up. Allowed me to select the r4 cartridge, but when I clicked on it, it loaded a white screen with the outline of the micro sd card in rea with a questions mark and the work menu.

I popped it back out and rechecked everything and instead removed the emulators and games an left only a couple DS games in the games folder. I still am receiving a white screen with a question mark and the word menu underneath it.

So running and copying a fresh copy of YSMenu effectively seems to have broken it.
You have a picture of this cart?

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot 2022-01-30 121709.png

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The instructions for YSmenu are kind of broken. It says DSONEi SDHC YSMenu folder, you in fact need the R4i-SDHC YSMenu folder.

Okay, I formatted the card and tried it with that one- I had previously been using the folder for the R4SDHC one, not the DSONEiSDHC, but it is still showing the white screen with the sd card "? MENU" in red.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I formatted the card and tried it with that one- I had previously been using the folder for the R4SDHC one, not the DSONEiSDHC, but it is still showing the white screen with the sd card "? MENU" in red.
The R4SDHC one and the R4i-SDHC one is different. You need R4i-SDHC in particular.

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4SDHC one and the R4i-SDHC one is different. You need R4i-SDHC in particular.
Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant to say that previously I had been using R4 SDHC, not DSONEiSDHC, but then went on, formatted and tried the R4i-SDHC, which then gave me the same ?Menu error.

After my last reply I then went and tried the DSONEiSDHC one as well, but it gives the same error.

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still using the R4i-SDHC YSmenu folder, rename YSMenu.nds to _BOOT_DS.NDS, then replace R4.dat with this one

Testing it now, but just a heads up- the YSMenu folder didn't have an R4.dat file in it, maybe that's why it wasn't working?

Okay, renamed YSMenu.nds to _BOOT_DS.nds and then added the R4.dat file, but when I put it in, it loaded up a blank white screen, so red microsd card with "? Menu" but nothing else.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Testing it now, but just a heads up- the YSMenu folder didn't have an R4.dat file in it, maybe that's why it wasn't working?

Okay, renamed YSMenu.nds to _BOOT_DS.nds and then added the R4.dat file, but when I put it in, it loaded up a blank white screen, so red microsd card with "? Menu" but nothing else.
If it didn't have an R4.dat file in there then yeah that's why it didn't work. (I can confidently assure you the R4i-SDHC YSMenu folder has an R4.dat, I literally just downloaded to check.)

damnitdinkles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it didn't have an R4.dat file in there then yeah that's why it didn't work. (I can confidently assure you the R4i-SDHC YSMenu folder has an R4.dat, I literally just downloaded to check.)

You're right- I must have accidentally deleted it at some point in all my fiddling, I just didn't realize because when I went to format and start from scratch I just extracted the folder from the Winrar I had it from the last time I downloaded it and kept going. Deleted my old one and downloaded the fresh one from here and it was in it.

Once the new one was in I renamed YSMenu.nds to _BOOT_DS.nds and then added the R4.dat file. When I popped it in it worked- took a moment and was worried it wouldn't but then pulled up the folder and was able to click on Games and saw the few I had added.

Took a minute to test the games and their save ability, but they all seem to be working. Adding the emulators now to test-

And it worked! Thank you so much!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o