GBAExploader freezes? A possible fix

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Movi, Feb 8, 2009.

Feb 8, 2009
  1. Movi

Newcomer Movi Advanced Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Ok, so i have a combo of EZ 3-in-1 Expansion pack and a R4. I was using rudolfs old 3-in-1 expansion tool, it worked admirably well, no problems. Then Exploader started beeing worked on, the 3-in-1 tool beeing abandoned. I tried Exploader and it didn't work. I thought back then that this is because it was beta-quality or something, so i kept using 3-in-1 tool.

Today i decided to give my DS a "fresh start", cleaning out my SD card and so on. This time ive set myself on getting exploader to work, since Moonshell 2 is using it, and with it i don't need to patch those big gba games.

Well, i got the newest one, and it froze the moment it was supposed to soft-reset. I tried moving the folders, modifying ini files, getting new clean roms and so on. Nothing got it to work. Then i had an idea. I went to WINDOWS box, and formatted my card to fat16. And lo and behold, it worked!. Now i tried fat32 under windows, and it worked too. See, i use a Mac, with Leopard. And i knew that both Linux and OSX have a little different implementation of vfat.

So, if youre not using windows and Exploader won't work but the 3-in-1 tool does, format your SD card under windows (tried XP, dont know about Vista or 7, but they shouldn't differ).

Hope this helps somebody.
  2. unknownworlder

Member unknownworlder GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2008
    United States
    Very helpful. Thanks! I just wonder if it works the same way in Linux.