Homebrew gbaemu4ds: GBA emulator for DS(i) (DSi Entry)

Is the graphic better if you use the sc Version and the upper screen on a 3DS

• I can't do that (have no 3DS) (have not tested that)

Votes: 110 40.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 48 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 89 32.6%

• Total voters

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Project is stalled because of other Project and a missing working DS emulator with slot-1 and PU support in the same release (the PU must also support make the correct exceptions and the correct offsets).

That means most likely the launcher was unable to read the data on the SD card.

I have a DSi nand dump there is nothing interesting in it (it is encrypted)...

I know but i'm curious as to when the 2DS & DS will get emunand support

Link-Kenedy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How are you loading HBMenu.nds? If you're using the R4 firmware's launcher, try DSOrganize, and vice-versa.
Hi. So I tried DSOrganize and I don't understand how it works. There are several files but I don't know wich one use. Anyway when I launch it I don't see HBMenu.nds, just some widgets

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So has this gbaemu made any progress lately I haven't seen any updates but I did look at the source code a bit and notice that this emu is dependent on VBA.exe if it the case updating vba to vba-m should fix some problems I believe I know the m branch made several improvements on how it runs some games I noticed mother 3 when translated to english that vba compared to m is slow and choppy but load it up in vba-m and it works without flaws

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also I did find that roms load better when loaded through woodR4 and renamed to the .agb extension instead of trying to use the .gba extension which is hardcoded into wood to be used with an ez-flash 3in1 kit and even if you add the lines to association.ini

"[gba]
launcher=hbmenu.nds
show=1"

also you can add extensions to autorun emulators for other extensions following the same format but certain emulators don't like it like neoDS it doesn't load roms after trying this method it brings you to the rom browser and you still have to browse for the game you want to play and if you own a card with rts functions the return function doesn't work ex. having the rts menu set to L+R+A+B+X+Y= RTS menu or Return from Homebrew the return function doesn't always work it especially doesn't work if you load the extension through wood

also I found that the R4i 3DS RTS card that supports v7.1 from r4ids.cn doesn't load dsorganize properly for the web browser and touch screen functions if you have troubles using dsorganize load it through moonshell I spent about a good 3 hours installing and reinstalling dsorganize trying to get the web browser to load when loaded through wood but it seems that moonshell loads it perfectly weather you load dsorganize.nds or moonshl2.nds, but regardless the web browser only works on this card through moonshell even if you dldi patch the files with the r4idsn dldi that comes with wood downloaded from r4ids.cn it still won't load properly from wood so I suggest using moonshell to boot it

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, after the black screen and the red screen make place for the white screen ! ><
I did : DSOrganize.nds -> Browser -> HBMENU.nds and then there is the white screen...
what flash cart do you use? does it use wood if so look in /_rpg/ for a .dldi file
if your card has auto dldi patching use moonshell my card uses auto patching and I have to use moonshell 2.10 stable on my r4i 3DS RTS from r4ids.cn to get the web browser to work in dsorganize even after patching my dldi patch to the nds file it still requires moonshell make sure you patch moonshell aswell unless you have moonshell setup as your autoboot software also I know how to fix the return to firmware option in moonshell for this specific card

all you need to do to fix that is copy the woodR4 _DS_MENU.DAT to SD:/moonshl2/resetmse/ and rename it too R4iG.nds and if you are using a different card you can find the file name of what you need to rename _DS_MENU.DAT by booting moonshell press the start button and tap return to firmware if the required file is missing it will tell you the filename to rename it too, remember each card requires a specific name to boot back to the firmware

I do get a white screen myself if I boot hbmenu.nds from dsorganize through wood but from moonshell>DSOrganize>hbmenu.nds seems to work amazing for it. But if you rename your .gba roms to .agb you can boot them from wood after copying "associations.ini" to "/_rpg/associations.ini" and any game that can work with the emu will work I have found that some roms like pkmn emerald/ruby doesn't work but sapphire works same thing with fire red it doesn't work but leaf green does, mother 3 eng translation locks at 3/4 through the intro scene FF Tactics Advance Works it's very touchy with what games run also after you save you need to press "Y" button to save the battery file

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well it is based on visualboyadvance and tgba and some other stuff.

to sum up what is left

20% of the CPU (in the in process Version only 10%)
90% of the save sys (I added some code to make the save less likely to get corrupted that is not taken into account)
99% of the cheat sys
2% of the IO handling
sound and anything else is new and completely rewritten

There are no changes in the save sys the only thing I could update is the cheat sys to support encrypted cheats

Reactions: Fishaman P

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well it is based on visualboyadvance and tgba and some other stuff.

to sum up what is left

20% of the CPU (in the in process Version only 10%)
90% of the save sys (I added some code to make the save less likely to get corrupted that is not taken into account)
99% of the cheat sys
2% of the IO handling
sound and anything else is new and completely rewritten

There are no changes in the save sys the only thing I could update is the cheat sys to support encrypted cheats

with the newest version we have to press "y" to save the battery file correct?
and seeing as you use visualboyadvance in the source wouldn't updating vba to vba-m give better emulation results?
also I saw that you have dswifi drivers included does ds-ds comms work for link cable communication yet?

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with the newest version we have to press "y" to save the battery file correct?
and seeing as you use visualboyadvance in the source wouldn't updating vba to vba-m give better emulation results?
also I saw that you have dswifi drivers included does ds-ds comms work for link cable communication yet?

Well there is second to nothing left but the cheat system that is still the same so I can only update that every thing else is rewritten. I can not update the other parts as they are not present in the vba and for the ds-ds comunication the hyper-visor can't use the standard VBA-M stuff as a hyper-visor needs other functions that are more efficient on the

I can not test the ds-ds communication any more (I don't have 2 DS systems with working wifi)

If you want to help there is a bug in https://github.com/ichfly/gbaemu4DS/blob/master/hyperspeedup/code_container/arm9/source/cr.s that is really annoying as soon as this bug is fixed I think I continue making fixes for this emulator

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
you obviously haven't visted github then go to https://github.com/ichfly/gbaemu4DS and you try telling me again that this emulator doesn't rely on visualboyadvance.exe when it's in the root of the source code
You need to look better. VisualBoyAdvance is only there to aid users in creating patches; the emulator itself does not use it at all, as expected.

If you want to help there is a bug in https://github.com/ichfly/gbaemu4DS/blob/master/hyperspeedup/code_container/arm9/source/cr.s that is really annoying as soon as this bug is fixed I think I continue making fixes for this emulator
Hmmm... could you point out exactly what or where the bug is? That's quite a bit of assembly to dig through otherwise.

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You need to look better. VisualBoyAdvance is only there to aid users in creating patches; the emulator itself does not use it at all, as expected.

Hmmm... could you point out exactly what or where the bug is? That's quite a bit of assembly to dig through otherwise.
that is the problem it works if I use the old CPU and if I use this CPU it corrupts something

ADD mind Alignments

ADD2 the new CPU is faster than the old

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
that is the problem it works if I use the old CPU and if I use this CPU it corrupts something

ADD mind Alignments
And you're saying you can't test on DeSmuME because it can't load a ROM?
To me, it sounds like you could hardcode a small homebrew ROM into the compiled .nds, and DeSmuME should be fine with that.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well there is second to nothing left but the cheat system that is still the same so I can only update that every thing else is rewritten. I can not update the other parts as they are not present in the vba and for the ds-ds comunication the hyper-visor can't use the standard VBA-M stuff as a hyper-visor needs other functions that are more efficient on the

I can not test the ds-ds communication any more (I don't have 2 DS systems with working wifi)

I have a phat DS and a DS light but i'm waiting for my girlfriend's R4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn +16GB MicroSD card to arrive should by here within the next week or so I could help out with testing ds-ds comms for you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one