GBAChef: Discounted food in the supermarket. Talk some on the matter.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbachef-png.3459

Most places I go as food heads towards expiration, especially fresh goods, the supermarkets and the like will discount it, often quite heavily, rather than bearing the cost of disposing of it/to extract some value.

Do you buy such things? Do you oppose buying such things? Do you go for the really late night ones where they are really trying to shift it? Have you ever altered your plans because you bought such a thing? Do you have some other relevant stories?

In my case I used to live in Liverpool. Around the same time it won "capital of culture" in Europe. That fact makes most that have ever been there crease up in laughter. It seems however the people managing supermarket stocks at the time thought they were stocking a Waitrose in posh area of the home counties. It sold accordingly well, which is to say not well at all.
I lived like a king as a result -- so they are going to sell us this massive lump of wild salmon for less than a small bag of mini frozen pizzas? Go grab some of that dill we saw on the way in then.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Coop in uk discounts at certain times, if I'm about at that time I will always swing by and see if I can score some bargains for dinner.

I've had 2 bags full of pastries and chicken for under £5 before, the date is up but its still good for that evening!

Last edited by KiiWii,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's something I want to eat that night or maybe the next day (have to look it over see if it's not completely rotted) I will buy it. It's a good way to save a few bucks here and there.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do you buy such things?
Do you go for the really late night ones where they are really trying to shift it?
Have you ever altered your plans because you bought such a thing?
Yes., quite often. The problem is, usually it doesn't help me save money, because I end up buying a lot of things I wouldn't normally buy at full price. So I end up spending the same amount (but getting more food).

Yes. Some stores here sell their daily made meals from the deli counter at 50% (or more, and on top of any other regular discount) off after 8PM. I don't usually target these times, but if I happen to be in the store at the time I check what they have.

Hell yes, there's no need to cook dinner when I've just snagged a rotisserie chicken for $1. :ha:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf