• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Brexit and its results

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
It's so interesting to see a thread like this active in 2023. I think Brexit was the most politically and economically damaging event to happen to western Europe in the last 30 years. It has destroyed supply chains and has made many people's lives more difficult (including my own). I find it astonishing that people who support Brexit do not feel any remorse for this. Playing with people's livelihoods as an experiment is wrong. Yes one can be sovereign, yes one can vote for selfish things. But that doesn't mean we should. Brexiteers need to see that many people are angry with what they've done and hold them at fault for it.

I don't know if many in the UK can see how the British government has shot itself in the foot. Brexit has accelerated the UK's decline and increased its irrelevancy. Brexit made the EU stronger and more united. It seems obvious to me that with the changing demographics (80% of those in the UK under 25 support EU membership), the UK will eventually rejoin and it will be on far less favourable terms than it had when it left. So what was it all for?
Oh, I had a British friend that regretted day one. She voted 'leave' in protest (against who that's the hard question) and didn't thought it'd go through. Her boyfriend was swede and made them being together more expensive and bureaucratic. I know other people that didn't regret so soon but later when the job market was affected.

According to Statistica, if the vote was today, 55% would have voted remain and 12% uncertain, with only 33% leave.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It seems there's a lot of non British on here that seem to have an opinion on how the Great Britian is run, well it's got bugger all to do with you, so don't worry about it. We the British people voted and even after all the lies from "project fear" we still chose to leave the corrupt dictatorship that is the EU because we had the sense to do what was right for the people. On another note, not one british voter ever voted to join the EU in the first place, in the 70's we joined the common market purely for trading and that was it. Had the British voter then known that in a few years the EU would morph into what it has, not one British person would have voted to join that clusterfuck of unelected dictators.

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD and Xzi

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
It seems there's a lot of non British on here that seem to have an opinion on how the Great Britian is run, well it's got bugger all to do with you, so don't worry about it. We the British people voted and even after all the lies from "project fear" we still chose to leave the corrupt dictatorship that is the EU because we had the sense to do what was right for the people. On another note, not one british voter ever voted to join the EU in the first place, in the 70's we joined the common market purely for trading and that was it. Had the British voter then known that in a few years the EU would morph into what it has, not one British person would have voted to join that clusterfuck of unelected dictators.

You're free to shoot yourself on the foot as much as I am free to comment on it.

Also the EU is a representative democracy. Perhaps if you live in a glass house with a bicameralist system where the upper house is consisted by life-long appointees, you should consider weighting your comments.

Reactions: Xzi and Dark_Ansem

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
You're free to shoot yourself on the foot as much as I am free to comment on it.

Also the EU is a representative democracy. Perhaps if you live in a glass house with a bicameralist system where the upper house is consisted by life-long appointees, you should consider weighting your comments.
You know bugger all about the EU and how many presidents it has and how they are elected, They are voted for by members of the European Parliament not by the public. Here's some info on some of the different presidents:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_institutions_of_the_European_Union

Also you're not British, so Brexit has got nothing to do with you and it hasn't got anything to do with anyone in the EU either. British people don't give really give a shit what voters vote for in their own countries - we only care about electing people that are meant to look out for our own interests. Although all the current politicians are shit and are basically globalist traitors, at least we can get rid of them at the ballot box when they are performing shit - just like the conservatives are about to find out soon enough. Try and vote out an EU president, you can't because they are not elected by the public and are nothing more than corrupt dictators.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
You know bugger all about the EU and how many presidents it has and how they are elected, They are voted for by members of the European Parliament not by the public. Here's some info on some of the different presidents:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_institutions_of_the_European_Union
No, my friend, you are the one demonstrating not to understand the concept of a representative democracy.

I'd prefer a direct federal system like Switzerland but that's the one we have, far far, from undemocratic.

The House of Lords on the other hand...

Also you're not British, so Brexit has got nothing to do with you and it hasn't got anything to do with anyone in the EU either.
For that logic you are not a unionist either, and by your own vote, yet that doesn't stop you from commenting on the EU.

British people don't give really give a shit what voters vote for in their own countries - we only care about electing people that are meant to look out for our own interests.

Looking at the current state of affairs my critique is exactly that, you've been voting against your interests deluded that your are not. But again, no one is questioning your sovereignty, only pointing out the damage of what you decided to do with it.

Reactions: Xzi and Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was waiting for bulldog gay-basher come and spew its nonsense 🤣
Post automatically merged:

For that logic you are not a unionist either, and by your own vote, yet that doesn't stop you from commenting on the EU
The brainwashed NPC are incapable of letting the matter rest because their very self conception depends on it, can't afford to admit to themselves they did a poopie

Last edited by Dark_Ansem,
Reactions: pustal

johnie89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With its hereditary peers/nobility, and first past the post system, the UK is one of the most undemocratic countries in Europe. The last time a government was elected with more than 50% of the votes cast for it was 2010 and the last before that was in 1931. Every other government apart from those two, have received less than 50% of the vote. In 2005 the Labour gov. only received 35% of the votes cast. Think about that. Of the people who went out to vote that day, 65% voted for other parties and yet still got a government only 35% of them voted for. In what universe is that democracy? The British electorate have no concept of democracy because they've pretty much never had it.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With its hereditary peers/nobility, and first past the post system, the UK is one of the most undemocratic countries in Europe. The last time a government was elected with more than 50% of the votes cast for it was 2010 and the last before that was in 1931. Every other government apart from those two, have received less than 50% of the vote. In 2005 the Labour gov. only received 35% of the votes cast. Think about that. Of the people who went out to vote that day, 65% voted for other parties and yet still got a government only 35% of them voted for. In what universe is that democracy? The British electorate have no concept of democracy because they've pretty much never had it.
Not too much different in the US, at least UK has a semi-viable third party with Lib Dem

In the US there isn't a single other party represented in Congress besides R/D

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. And yet Tories keep getting elected 🤷
The Tories are Conservative in Name Only, because in reality they're no different than the leftist party anymore.

What kind of a Conservative is in favor of CBDC? A CINO.

It's why Reform is gaining support although BNP would be better, but Reform will do.

And I'm glad Costa resigned from being Portugal's PM as he did a terrible job, now hopefully Andre Ventura takes charge of the country.

No, my friend, you are the one demonstrating not to understand the concept of a representative democracy.
The EU and many others love to bring up that word, but only when it suits them.

"No longer a democracy" aka you don't do what we want

• Haha

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
The Tories are Conservative in Name Only, because in reality they're no different than the leftist party anymore.

What kind of a Conservative is in favor of CBDC? A CINO.

How is this a leftist position? The Tories have shift in perspective from classical conservativism, to national conservativism to liberal conservativism. Sunak probably sits between the last two. Calling it a left party now is dishonest at best.

hopefully Andre Ventura takes charge of the country.

Wow, someone revealed its true colours finally. No fascism for me, thank you. Also, at worst he'll be a minority part of a coalition government, you can look at any pools. Despite their campaingn tactics, thankfully we still have some memory of living in a fascist regime in this country.

The EU and many others love to bring up that word, but only when it suits them.

"No longer a democracy" aka you don't do what we want

No, it means it became an illiberal democracy and it is no longer democratic.

I guess you're gonna rant about the evils of mainstream media if I put any reputable source on it, so take it from an american conservative source of studies, since you so much like it: https://bush.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Suleiman-Paper-No.-20.pdf

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Shh far right authoritarian disapprove of anything that isn't full blown fascist.
Ventura's party he is talking about was formed with quite a few members of ex-neo-nazi groups, very much including high party officials . It has proposed things like an ethnic-racial national registry, scapegoats problems of the country to an ethnic minority (that by chance my partner is part of, so it is very personal to me), including scapegoating economic problems to long term integration programs that have been successful (being btw a fraction of a cost in orders of magnitude to the money a particular friend of him from the football mafia swindled the country, as an example). It has discussed internally topics such as wanting to force women who abort on the public health system to have to have their ovaries removed by force. The party joined ID, the European party of the likes of Le Pen, AfD or Salvini's Lega. Ventura personally promised that if he won a legislature, he would criminalize speaking against police or judges - this btw, in a time when we had an infamous judge exposed for rulling in favour of the abuser husband on a domestic violence case based on "biblical precedence" and the monarchic contitution of 1886. It reach a point where it was promoted and praised in the Stormfront forums.

Last edited by pustal,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning