Hardware GBA Backlight! (AGB-001)

Masaray67

Newcomer
Trophies
Somewhere between the Matrix and the real world
XP
Country
Finland
The other pics of my mod... (56k WARNING!!!)
f9d2a158.jpg

the wires going to the AGS-101 LCD connector directly soldered to the GBA's mainboard. The mess that you will see on my other pics are brought of my failed attempt back in '09.

58b1bc61.jpg

The other side of the mainboard. The original connector was missing because it was destroyed in the past.

8bcd22dc.jpg

I used my dead AGS-001 LCD connector as an adapter for AGS-101 LCD and I used the ribbon of my shattered AGS-001 LCD to connect the wires and the connector. I potted the tips of the magnetic wires with some epoxy to prevent the breakage during movement.

36941292.jpg

The AGS-101 LCD and the LCD adapter connected together.

some game testing...

22937d8e.jpg

059f73d5.jpg

7e279a46.jpg

As you can see on these 3 pics, there are some discoloration happening in the game. (That Blaziken is a shiny one and its not an effect of discoloration :lol: )

please disregard this one... I already fixed it.

Shit... I'm getting the same problem....Exept for the fact that I bought the cable from zerey and have a identical screen that Zerey uses Dx

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country
What is the payment method used to order the "cable+ screen" from zerey? Is it paypal?

How long does it take go get from china to europe using the chepest shipping method?

doshch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is the payment method used to order the "cable+ screen" from zerey? Is it paypal?

How long does it take go get from china to europe using the chepest shipping method?

Yes, PayPal. The cheapest is ChinaPost. Usually takes 30-40 days. But the price is 2-5 bucks.

GBAcarlos

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
KidMudz, I want to try as you did, but I want to conect the GBA SP screen directly to the GBA 40 pins original mainboard, without the AGS-001 LCD Connector, how can I connect it?................... Help!

prc41247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all ive followed this entire post, purchased my own kit from zerey (40 pin connector and the SP screen) cost me about 60$ with fast shipping through paypal.

I got everything hooked up and working but ran into a problem when reassembling, and was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

The problem (shown in the photos i attached) is that i cannot get the case to close completely when screwing the screws back in.

There is just not enough clearance below the motherboard to fit the plastic part where the 40 pin ribbon cable meets the SP screen cable.

The system is still functional but the side bumpers, R and L buttons, and power switch all rattle around when playing.

Also, if too much pressure is applied to the case (either by forcing the case closed with the screws, or by pressing down with my fingers especially near the power switch), the GBA turns off!!!

HELP PLZZZ:rofl2:

I followed the directions the best i could but can figure out how to fit everything in place correctly

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 504
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 495
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 471
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 476
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 468

doshch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Coltonamore

Time to stop Tron Bonne!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I have with this mod is the fact that the brightness switch is where certain things connect, like the game cube link cable, and the wireless adapter. I'm thinking of putting the switch someplace different from what Wiggy recommends.

KipMudz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
KidMudz, I want to try as you did, but I want to conect the GBA SP screen directly to the GBA 40 pins original mainboard, without the AGS-001 LCD Connector, how can I connect it?................... Help!

Do you want that hardwired installation? Then look at the pinouts that I posted here then match the pinouts with the same names.

Masaray67

Newcomer
Trophies
Somewhere between the Matrix and the real world
XP
Country
Finland
I solved that problem by breaking a line in the connector. What model are you using? 40-pin? 32-pin?
I'm using the 32 pin gba.
Btw when i turned on the gba with EZflashIV i just got a white screen. I haven't tested the gba since that so i don't know if the problem has just magically disappeared but i could post some pics of the gba and the screen attached.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Nevermind about my questions just threrw the cable together and it works!
Tested it with a spare AGs-001 screen as to not ruin my 101 screen.

Now i just need to figure out where I'm gonna get extremely tiny wires for the back light power.

EDIT: found some wire small enough only took about a hour of total time to do this mod, now i need to get a new faceplate and battery cover, also need to try to find a new start and select buttons pad.

really glad i have a dremel, haven't gotten to use it yet really till today.

KipMudz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sigh... Working with 32-pin AGB-001 was very straightforward than working with 40-pin AGB-001. Looks like your ribbon is from the original LCD of AGB-001.

Edit: Did you killed the original LCD of your AGB-001 by cutting the ribbon?

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh... Working with 32-pin AGB-001 was very straightforward than working with 40-pin AGB-001. Looks like your ribbon is from the original LCD of AGB-001.

Edit: Did you killed the original LCD of your AGB-001 by cutting the ribbon?
yeah I am sure it isn't usable any more so i'd say it is dead, pretty much just cut the ribbon from the original LCD and used an Xacto knife to scrap away the plastic from the pins to solder the connector i took from a spare SP mobo i had. after that it was pretty much a walk in the park.

syph007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a premodded 40pin setup and while it works well, the screen has this glowy flickery feel to it. Like a monitor run at too low of a refresh rate.

Anyone else had this? I wonder if its interference that shielding would help.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I've noticed the same with the GBA I did myself. I don't see it on the GBA I got pre-modded, but I definitely know what you are talking about. I think you'll have to adjust the small pot they mention in the guides, but I'd wait for confirmation from someone here. Wiggy probably knows what's causing this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.