Gaming GBA and SNES emulators

RedBaron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
How good are the GBA and SNES emulators on the PSP, any problems?
yaypsp.gif

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't we actually name a few emulators?

And what is a working SNES emulator for Prome-2 5.50-or-whatever? Others fail to load my ROMs.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
If you're having problems with normal SNES games, you're doing it wrong, or you're using Snes9x Euphoria.

Damn, that's a bad emulator.

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
If you're having problems with normal SNES games, you're doing it wrong, or you're using Snes9x Euphoria.

I was using Snes9x Euphoria for a while, which somehow worked. But now I want a better one.

How would I be doing it wrong?

campbell00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MissingNo._ said:
Midna said:

I was using Snes9x Euphoria for a while, which somehow worked. But now I want a better one.

How would I be doing it wrong?

I do agree with Midna; it does take some fiddling with settings, but almost all games that do not have a special graphics chip run perfectly (for me).

On topic, however, GBA emulation is about the same. Mother 3 was perfectly playable, but some of the battle scenes needed to skip 1-2 frames in order to emulate 60FPS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a long time since I linked this, so it might be worth seeing if it makes a difference. It's an updated snesadvance.dat file that may or may not help out with certain SNES games, depending on how recent of a version the emulators are currently distributing. Most notably, if your old copy doesn't have an entry for Super Mario RPG, this should speed it up dramatically. I tried speedhacking a few other special-chip games but with much less success. StarFox didn't change anything while I think the hacks for Yoshi's Island crashed the game. Don't remember what happened with Kirby Super Star or Kirby's Dream Land 3.

http://danthemanms.googlepages.com/snesadvance.dat

dancemb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If only you could install & run SNES emulatoes & the roms with a slim & brite unmodded PSP, I have a modded PSP somewhere in the house but cannot find it.

Is there a way you can just run the Emulators without needing a modified PSP?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
It's been a long time since I linked this, so it might be worth seeing if it makes a difference. It's an updated snesadvance.dat file that may or may not help out with certain SNES games, depending on how recent of a version the emulators are currently distributing. Most notably, if your old copy doesn't have an entry for Super Mario RPG, this should speed it up dramatically. I tried speedhacking a few other special-chip games but with much less success. StarFox didn't change anything while I think the hacks for Yoshi's Island crashed the game. Don't remember what happened with Kirby Super Star or Kirby's Dream Land 3.

From what I'm reading online this is for the GBA emulator... ?
At least, the PSP one has no such file to replace.

dancemb: Depends on your firmware version.
http://wololo.net/wagic/hbl/

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a SNES emulator for the PSP which can play Starwing, or does the presence of the Super FX chip prevent any emulation at all? I've never seen it working but Starwing in my pocket has been a dream of mine since childhood. Damn, that games kicks ass.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
DanTheManMS said:

From what I'm reading online this is for the GBA emulator... ?
At least, the PSP one has no such file to replace.
I'm not entirely sure where the file is supposed to exist, but most (all?) SNES emulators for the PSP utilize the SNES Advance speedhacks, and there *should* be an snesadvance.dat file somewhere to replace with that updated copy. Having never owned a PSP, I cannot be more specific.

EDIT: for what it's worth, my friend helped me test the SMRPG speedhacks with his own PSP a few years ago, but perhaps emulators have moved on since that time. Perhaps they no longer utilize those speedhacks.

EDIT 2: Downloading the latest version of SnesPSP_TYL (which *was* current last time I checked years ago, but is probably outdated by now), the file location is in \s9xTYL-0.4.2\1.x\snes9xTYL\DATA\snesadvance.dat

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There wasn't a current .dat file in that folder, so Idunno' if it'll work, but I placed it there anyways and will report back later with the results.

EDIT: Upon starting up SMRPG it now has a "Found speedhacks, applying" message, so it seems it accepts it. It didn't speed up the slow parts of the intro (when the sky turns black and bowser kidnaps peach), I haven't tested it further.

There's no speedhack found message when running Star Fox, though to answer Blaze163... "Star Wind" is the EU version of Star Fox IIRC... and Star Fox runs on Snes9xTYL0.4.2mecm, though it runs at a slow speed it's still playable (just wait on the black screen at the start, takes a minute to begin).

So yes, Star Fox on the PSP works at least as far as up to the control config screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.hueyandweprin.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/iStock-1073669440.jpg +1